Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    OSRS's player base being almost equal to the main game shows how Jagex needs to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    OSRS's player base being almost equal to the main game shows how Jagex needs to improve.
    That doesn't have anything to do with it, really. That's just from a community split and 90% of the remaining Runescape players being people who just want a shitty, obscure grind-based game to invest literally thousands of hours into for fake bragging rights.

I sympathize a bit with Jagex because when you weigh up a lot of their recent changes, you can see they obviously want to take measures to reduce grinding but their remaining playerbase demands it. They've done it to themselves, really.

I mean, if you like grinding and you want a game to be hyper-grind based, that's fine and on you. I can't tell you you're wrong, but the game is legitimately dying and taking Jagex with it (though this is also because, as I've said, Jagex invests millions of dollars into multiple failed projects. I've heard Block and Load is already going under, but I haven't heard any solid news on it).

They're quite literally in a "do or die" situation. They either adapt and change the game, or their players all quit. The most primal issue with making a game so centered around grinding is that eventually the people who want the grind start to achieve it. More and more, players/mostly people botting are achieving all 99s, multiple 200m exps, completionist capes, etc. You guys think games like WoW give you nothing to do? Try being maxed on Runescape with all the quests done.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Runescape is, fundamentally, an awful and shitty game.
    the fact that it continues to exist would show some disagreement with your opinion. It's a different game that pushes some gameplay options to the forefront that most games either outright ignore or render obsolete (like planning... or basic logistics)

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    the fact that it continues to exist would show some disagreement with your opinion. It's a different game that pushes some gameplay options to the forefront that most games either outright ignore or render obsolete (like planning... or basic logistics)
    No it fucking doesn't, lol. The fact that it's continued to exist for over a decade is nothing short of incredible, but for all the wrong reasons.

Do you know how much profit Jagex made in 2013? Less than 2 million British Pounds. They make a fucking online video game, where profit yields should be multiple times larger than the production cost, yet they struggle to make ends meet. This isn't just Runescape's fault. Read some company reviews on Glassdoor and you'll get the same general tune of "upper management is fucking shit and company retention is just awful".

Just because Runescape has managed to exist isn't some big shattering ball and chain to my facts. There are weird, backwater forums where people erotically roleplay as mythical monsters than have been around since Web 1.0 and that's nothing special.

I'm not saying any of this because I hate Runescape (well, I mean, I hate Runescape, but I'm not saying it because I do) or anything like that, or I want to Doomsay Jagex. Honestly? I wish Runescape were a better game that was less grindy and more content-oriented. I wish it wasn't a game were 99% of what they add to the game gets forgotten about immediately or was never any good.

And there is rather little "planning or basic logistics" in Runescape. At least not compared to other games. Don't be so full of shit.

It's too late to remove the grinding at this point. It's a fundamental skeletal system atm. Maybe if rs4 ever comes into play
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It's too late to remove the grinding at this point. It's a fundamental skeletal system atm. Maybe if rs4 ever comes into play
    I don't agree that it's too late, at least not in the same sense.

I think it's too late because, like I said, the only people really playing the game are the people who want the grind. If they removed it and tried to "reinvent" Runescape, all their remaining players would run off in droves (similar to the Evolution of Combat because waa waa basic mmo abilities are scary) and the game would just tank.

But it's a paradox because like I said before, those grinders are achieving their grinds or just finally getting bored. They made a game where dedicated grind-hounds could play for like 10+ years, but it's finally running out of steam and the failing amount of subscriptions, Jagex's amateur and haphazard constant rising of sub price (not even to meet inflation, mind you, but just to help band-aid sub loss) isn't going to fix it.

They're in a very bad place right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    425 days from 10 year Vet

And there is rather little "planning or basic logistics" in Runescape. At least not compared to other games. Don't be so full of shit.
    other games like wow?

aside from coordinating 10-25 people together for a raid theres very little you need to actually do.

now, effectively hunting dragons/bosses/higher end mobs for prolonged periods of time.... with 28 inventory slots? most games I see these days go teh route of WoW... i.e. QoL their way into the hardest thing being to get warm bodies online.

edit:

honestly... you're biased, don't like the game model and to be quite honest... that doesn't make the game shit. that makes it not the right game for you. so don't go throwing around phrases like "it's fundamentally shit" when the game is NOT composed of shit at its core.

other games like wow?

aside from coordinating 10-25 people together for a raid theres very little you need to actually do.

now, effectively hunting dragons/bosses/higher end mobs for prolonged periods of time.... with 28 inventory slots? most games I see these days go teh route of WoW... i.e. QoL their way into the hardest thing being to get warm bodies online.

edit:

honestly... you're biased, don't like the game model and to be quite honest... that doesn't make the game shit. that makes it not the right game for you. so don't go throwing around phrases like "it's fundamentally shit" when the game is NOT composed of shit at its core.
    Wow I seriously refuse to believe you're not just trying to troll.

First, I never even said "like WoW", you're the one just bringing up WoW as a comparison and even then, what the fuck? You're seriously just trying to say "lol in wow all raiding is is getting people online, that's all there is to it, unlike RUNESCAPE where it takes so much thought and skill to do bosses lol".

Runescape is overly, overly grindy and it's factually declining because of it. Your posts are woefully unintelligent and, ironically for your attempt to call me out as biased, incredibly biased.

I've already admitted I dislike the grind-based game. I've already said that if you enjoy it, that's fine. You're allowed to enjoy a game like that. But Runescape is failing because of it. You either have it change and potentially survive, or have it stay the same and just slowly end up dying. Those are the two fucking options, dude. Nothing else matters or has anything to do with it.

You're seriously just trying to say "lol in wow all raiding is is getting people online, that's all there is to it, unlike RUNESCAPE where it takes so much thought and skill to do bosses lol".
    no seriously. learning how to properly deal with running barrows or getting the fire cape the first time or farming more worthwhile mats for longer than 90 kills felt more thought provoking than basically anything in what passes as any games raiding that I've experienced thus far. set up right with the correct inventory and nothing was a real challenge. Go in with the wrong inventory while learning with the basic essentials to learn and figure out what works better.... be it WoW or any other game following it's model (i.e. basically all of the ones that get mentioned these days) you simply need to have the through put to keep yourself up and not stand in fire. Most the game is undertuned and ytou have to play through THAT till you finally have ourself up to snuff to do the actual endgame.

I know I'm biased, but I'm not the one who came into a thread about a game to call it shit and say it's going to fail... leave that in the other threads about quarterly info releases.

no seriously. learning how to properly deal with running barrows or getting the fire cape the first time or farming more worthwhile mats for longer than 90 kills felt more thought provoking than basically anything in what passes as any games raiding that I've experienced thus far. set up right with the correct inventory and nothing was a real challenge. Go in with the wrong inventory while learning with the basic essentials to learn and figure out what works better.... be it WoW or any other game following it's model (i.e. basically all of the ones that get mentioned these days) you simply need to have the through put to keep yourself up and not stand in fire. Most the game is undertuned and ytou have to play through THAT till you finally have ourself up to snuff to do the actual endgame.

I know I'm biased, but I'm not the one who came into a thread about a game to call it shit and say it's going to fail... leave that in the other threads about quarterly info releases.
    I didn't come into this thread and call it shit and talk about how it's (actually) failing because I just hate it and want it to die. I wouldn't mind, at all, if the game were reformatted so that, say, 1-99 was easier and less intensive to achieve and 120-200 million exp was "the new 99" of sorts. There IS such a thing as appeasing both crowds and letting more casual/sane/real people play while still catering to the insane players/the bots (of which most of the insane players are).

Getting the fire cape, even back in like 2007 or whatever, was fucking piss easy. It was just long, intensive and monotonous just like the rest of the game. If you fucking seriously think grinding mats and potions and then doing the Queen Black Dragon for 8 hours straight is "more strategy involving" than doing Mythic or even just Heroic-tier raiding in WoW, you are fucking trolling.

The game IS fundamentally shit. It's poorly coded (it's code looks like a fucking Frankenstein of mishmashed code languages. I am fucking surprised it even runs at all). It has internal delays in every input command, it runs like shit even on the best computers, has a tendency to have random crashing problems, has audio and graphical bugs that never get fixed, it's a plethora of fucking technical issues and it generally just runs pretty poorly for a lot of people despite being a very simple game.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate everything about it, that would put me on your level of intelligent process. The newest models in some of the newer quests look fucking fantastic. Like, they're better than, say, League of Legends models (not that that's saying much, but eh). At least they are before the textures get sort of destroyed by being compressed in game, but eh.

The soundtracks? Incredible. The quests? They're awesome. One Piercing Note is probably one of my favorite video game stories/adventures of all time.

Not everything the game does is bad and it's not unfixable. It's just plagued by shitty company management (again, read the Glassdoor reviews for Jagex) and incompetent devs who, while they love the game, just aren't able to man up and do the things they have to do to stop the playerbase from constantly getting lower and lower.

I read on a popular botting website that the number of active bots, as of 2014, is almost 1:1 with the playerbase now. Literally some 40-50% of the players you will see in the game are people botting. That is not something that bodes will with how you've designed your game.

I didn't come into this thread and call it shit....
    first post in thread?

Runescape is, fundamentally, an awful and shitty game.
    I rest my case.

Okay you're just trolling or purposely shitposting. Ignoring you from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna subscribe again but my main problem is what is fun in the game these days?

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I wanna subscribe again but my main problem is what is fun in the game these days?
    It's literally the same game it's always been, albeit with somewhat more involving combat and better graphics/music.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's literally the same game it's always been, albeit with somewhat more involving combat and better graphics/music.
    I played back before the new combat system, Tower of Daemonheim (Or whatever it is, I forget) and Raids. Which is why I'm asking what fun content they have on offer nowadays before I commit $12.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I played back before the new combat system, Tower of Daemonheim (Or whatever it is, I forget) and Raids. Which is why I'm asking what fun content they have on offer nowadays before I commit $12.
    12$? What? Is that literally what the sub costs now?

The "raid" is eh. It's just two bosses, but the newer bosses are breaking away from the whole "'bosses' are just glorified trash mobs you grind for 10+ hours" and making bosses more of a legitimate undertaking. Their "raid" design still has aways to go, but if you enjoyed Runescape enough before, you'll find it engaging for at least a little while today. Probably not worth a sub fee, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would play OSRS it has a better community

- - - Updated - - -

Server stability is a bitch though.

If a shithole full of raving elitists who decry Solomon General Store as "DA REASON RS IS DYING!11" and think Dungeoneering is a pinnacle of PvE design is "better", I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    12$? What? Is that literally what the sub costs now?

The "raid" is eh. It's just two bosses, but the newer bosses are breaking away from the whole "'bosses' are just glorified trash mobs you grind for 10+ hours" and making bosses more of a legitimate undertaking. Their "raid" design still has aways to go, but if you enjoyed Runescape enough before, you'll find it engaging for at least a little while today. Probably not worth a sub fee, though.
    Australian price. I've always wanted to give Dungeoneering more of a chance, but I just can't for the life of my figure out why it's not compelling enough.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Server stability is a bitch though.
    I would give it a go, but my main on current Runescape has too much time invested (Multiple 99s) to start fresh on OSRS.