Thread: PC Issues

PC Issues

So I'm at a lost guys. On wednesday my pc stopped powering on. It worked fine the morning before i left for work but when i came home it wouldn't turn on. Tried all the typical things and talked to my more pc savy friends, atleast part wise, and they seemed to think it was my psu. Tried booting w/o ram/gpu/hdd still to no success. Grabbed a new psu friday, hooked it up tried to boot no success. Read about resetting cmos, tried that and it seemed to fix the problem. Well thats until i went to hook it all back up and realize my gpu was no longer being detected. Made sure everything was hooked up, and plugged in. Tried uninstalling drivers and checking bios still no luck. I'm at a loss of what part is malfunctioning or if its just a simple fix that i'm missing.

Ty in advance for any advice/help.
    Shadow Priest http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aikus/advanced
    Divine Council, my guild that is always looking for more exceptional players.

Post your system specs.

Have you gone into your BIOS and made sure everything is set to what it should be?

If everything in the BIOS is correct, is there any chance you could somehow get another graphics card temporarily to swap in there? I know it's not detected, but is the fan spinning?
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2015-08-04 at 02:33 AM.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
    HD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
    RAM:L8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS with Heat Spreader)
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
    PSU: corsair 850w semi modular bronze certified
    GPU: MSI twin fozor gtx 770

The fan doesn't run on the graphics card at all, I've checked all the bios settings to make sure they're set to what they should be.
    Don't really have an option to use another card other than my current one.
    Shadow Priest http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aikus/advanced
    Divine Council, my guild that is always looking for more exceptional players.

Since your computer starts up and everything, I'd suspect either it's the slot on the motherboard, or the Graphics Card itself, most likely the latter.

Can you try putting the graphics card in the other pci-e slot? Just to see if it works, you might need to change the default in your BIOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the old PSU went it's possible it did some damage to the GPU. I've had this happen in the past. This shouldn't happen to newer better quality PSU's since they have a built in protection mechanism that prevents damage.

It's also possible you forgot the power connector to the GPU?

Check the power connector to the GPU, and if you're using any adaptors for the power, check those are in tight aswell. If there's anyone nearby who has a PC you can test the GPU in, that could be a quick way to see if it's working or not.
    As Duke says, it could be the PSU took out the GPU when it went, which is especially possible with any GPU using direct power connections. If the old PSU was a fairly cheap one, that would be even more likely. I've made the mistake myself of getting a cheap (below £20) PSU before, and it ended badly, but even a more expensive one can fail, and it's possible it could still take something out with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the little power leds on on the GPU? If not, check the cables.