Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down So has anyone seen this regarding Windows 10?

http://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

that sounds kinda screwed knowing you have to re buy a new license every time a hardware change happens
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Sucks but no worries for me.. I change the whole computer every 2nd year and never touches it in between... only bummer for me is if a component fails and need replacement.

Still.. the whole idea with "free windows 10"... did ANYONE really think it would be 100% forever-and-ever... nothing is 100% free and if it's 100% free it's still not 100% free!

Deleted
    wow this is bs! is this even legal, i mean wtf?!

Social Media at it's worst.

ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about computers knows that it is only tied to the motherboard, clearly the person who posted the pictures and the microsoft person talking to them know NOTHING about computers. This thread furthers the list of people who aren't familiar with how computers work. You can change your ram, graphics card, all your components outside the motherboard and not have to buy a copy of windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by sauoasch View Post
    wow this is bs! is this even legal, i mean wtf?!
    Wtf do you mean is this even legal. They are giving you a FREE upgrade, and your asking if its legal that if you change the pc you got the FREE upgrade on they require you to buy the full version.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't used a legit version of Windows since 3.1. Doesn't bother me one bit. But this is definitely bad business practice, people in the know swap out components fairly often, and breaking their windows license because they want to upgrade their computer is just backwards logic to me.

Still sticking to Windows 7 for now it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post

that sounds kinda screwed knowing you have to re buy a new license every time a hardware change happens
    Its not everytime, the free upgrade is tied to the pc that requested it. Its not like a FULL license that we normally get.

This was news like 15 years ago...

Windows license has always always been tied to motherboard. You can upgrade RAM or graphics card or even processor, but it will no longer authenticate if you change the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I haven't used a legit version of Windows since 3.1. Doesn't bother me one bit. But this is definitely bad business practice, people in the know swap out components fairly often, and breaking their windows license because they want to upgrade their computer is just backwards logic to me.

Still sticking to Windows 7 for now it seems.
    Jesus do you people read or think at all, this is just the FREE upgrade.

It is only tied to the motherboard ffs, people spreading things and getting others all fired up and they don't even know what the hell they are talking about

This only applies to OEM versions, which will require a clean install if the Motherboard changes.

Retail versions are free to re-install as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    This only applies to OEM versions, which will require a clean install if the Motherboard changes.

Retail versions are free to re-install as far as I'm aware.
    It won't matter how many times you tell people something, social media spreads misinformation like wildfire and the people that don't know what the truth is just run with it

If you're upgrading your entire PC every few months, I think you can afford a Win 10 retail license.

15+ Year Old Account

2 possibilities:
    - It's fake
    - Someone is going to get fired (if not already)

Hardware change can invalidate your license (though not common), it's been like this since at least vista IIRC. But when that happens, either you have "activations" left (think that's 3), or not. It not, just give a call to MS, all it takes is a few minutes on the phone to allow activations again.
    Oh, hi.

Yea, this Tech support guy is just ignorant, only if the motherboard changes you would need a new licence key for an OEM only.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    To quote Game of Microsoft: "You know nothing John Snow!"
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm.

This has always been the case with OEM's, and despite that, Microsoft still lets you change hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just PR talk from customer support. Maybe I'll get a chance to test it out soon.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

oh noes, I bought new mouse today, when I'll replace my mouse, windows will deactivate.

lesson learned - if you buy a mouse, also buy a windows 10 license. Thanks OP!
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    The upgrade version (eg you received the free upgrade from MSoft) is usually tied to the motherboard. The Microsoft employee seems a little misinformed or unaware of the process himself. Changing your ram or GPU wont invalidate the OS install normally. OEM versions are stricter.

Anyway, calling Microsoft and letting them know you upgraded your system is typically enough for them to allow the same key to be used again on the new system. Worked for me recently.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lithy View Post
    Anyway, calling Microsoft and letting them know you upgraded your system is typically enough for them to allow the same key to be used again on the new system. Worked for me recently.
    Happened to me just once, vista or 7, not sure. When I saw that happening I started thinking "meh, this is going to take hours or days trying to get this back working". 5 minutes later, everything was done, my PC was back on with windows running and activated.

That was surprising.
    Oh, hi.