Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Kevin Hart Says Biggest Fear Is Finding Out His Son His Gay

In a new interview with Rolling Stone Magazine comedian Kevin Hart explains that his son’s sexuality is no laughing matter. Kevin admits that as a straight man, his number one job is to make sure his son doesn’t turn out to be homosexual…

“One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. That’s a fear. Keep in mind, I’m not homophobic. . . . Be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will."

He added:

“It’s about my fear. I’m thinking about what I did as a dad, did I do something wrong, and if I did, what was it? Not that I’m not gonna love my son or think about him any differently. The funny thing within that joke is it’s me getting mad at my son because of my own insecurities — I panicked. It has nothing to do with him, it’s about me. That’s the difference between bringing a joke across that’s well thought-out and saying something just to ruffle feathers.”

I agree with what he's saying somewhat and most parents have this fear. Is it wrong?

Deleted
    That's his personal view and opinion which is fine by me.

Don't forget that it's still not accepted by a large number of people and I doubt it ever will.

Thought it would be finding out he's not the father. Oh Murry.

Deleted
    I don't think it is wrong to fear that you might have done something wrong as a parent, and that had a negative influence on your child.

But it then beckons the question, if your child turning into a homosexual (which sounds extremely dumb in my head), is something bad. Which is a completely other discussion.

However I'd worry more for my child doing drugs, or criminal activity, than turning gay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post

I agree with what he's saying somewhat and most parents have this fear. Is it wrong?
    Yes its wrong.

Firstly, you cant make someone gay or not gay.

Secondly, if you "fear" it, then you are in fact homophobic. If you were not, it would not be an issue.

Also< i never understand this sentiment from parents, surely you love your children unconditionally for who they are? you dont place this kind of prejudice onto them.

How could an opinion about feelings ever be wrong? That's as subjective as it can get.

But you can say he really must lead a very good life if his biggest fears are not about love, crimes, health or money, but something you have no influence on at all.

It's a controversial subject since I honestly think a lot of parents do fear that their children may be gay - and therefore won't have any children of their own. Even though I'm bisexual with a preference for men I can sort of see where people are coming from. It's not a great view to hold, mind you, but still...

That's some straight up honesty right there, and something I think many parents (fathers especially) fear but never talk about. Hopefully, people don't take it the wrong way and get too butt hurt over what Kevin said.

Also, I couldn't help but read the quoted parts in his voice, lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't want my future children to be gay, I don't consider that homophobic. Higher suicide rates, higher STD rates, issues with having kids, higher rates of bullying and discrimination, etc. etc.

Why would anyone honestly say that it's not an issue? Why would you not care that your kid had all those extra burdens?

Like, I don't really care what people are or what they do, but I really don't want a trans, gay, autistic son that flips burgers to pay for his MLP memorabilia. That doesn't mean I hate people who are/do those things, but I don't wish any of it on my kid.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-08-04 at 10:51 AM.

I respect the honesty.. but I would worry about 200 other things before caring if my son was gay or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    The funny thing within that joke is
    So it was just a joke?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's his opinion and you people should be praising his expression of an unpopular opinion. It takes moral courage to stand against the establishment.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I don't want my future children to be gay, I don't consider that homophobic. Higher suicide rates, higher STD rates, issues with having kids, higher rates of bullying and discrimination, etc. etc.

Why would anyone honestly that that it's not an issue? Why would you not care that your kid had all those extra burdens?
    I would worry more about him becoming a criminal, gang member, or just a disgusting human being. Way before I cared if he was gay.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PostGG View Post
    I would worry more about him becoming a criminal, gang member, or just a disgusting human being. Way before I cared if he was gay.
    Sure, luckily I can worry about multiple things at once. I don't want my kid to be gay, I also don't want him to be lactose intolerant or kill people.

Deleted
    Kind of ridiculous to fear that.

My knee-jerk reaction to this was to label him as ignorant, and I still see a fair amount of ignorance in his statements, but I try to be understanding and compassionate... but, as other people have said, it seems to me that there are far bigger worries regarding one's son than whether or not he is gay, i.e., crime, drugs, etc.... as a former drug addict I can tell you with all kinds of certainty that the best way to ensure that your child does not end up as a drug addict is to be a loving, well-adjusted parent who supports their child unconditionally, and making statements like the ones Kevin Hart has made can be very damaging, if in fact his son does turn out to be gay.... and one other thing... I'm assuming the young girl in the photo is his daughter... does he not have the same "fear" that his daughter will be a lesbian? It seems like a fairly typical American male reaction (and yes, I am American too, so no, it's not nation-bashing) to worry that ones son will be homosexual while completely overlooking the possibility that one's daughter might be gay too... gay is gay, no matter if you're a man who is sexually attracted to men, or a woman who is sexually attracted to women, and while I personally think both are natural and that there is nothing wrong with either, it seems to me that there is a lot more stigma attached to being a gay male than being a gay female, and that doesn't make much sense to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can somehow understand the fear if he fears how his son is going to be treated in life as a homosexual. Any other reason than that and I can't really understand what there's to fear.

At least he says that it has nothing to do with his son, and that it's his own insecurities that cause the fear. I guess I could say I can agree to disagree.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Kind of ridiculous to fear that.
    Just as riddiculous as Anatidaephobia, the fear that somewhere a duck is watching you. But people can fear what ever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is completely human to have such a fear, really, nothing wrong. Just like some have a fear that their kid might not go in to the profession they think, or they become a parent too young, etc.

Parents worry, they are allowed to, human nature to worry about the ones near - fear and worries doesn't have to be an evil thing. Might as well just be because, as he said, he wouldn't know fully what to do and start evaluating his own job as a father.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    its not wrong, why would be wrong? my father was an officer in the army, and he never allowed us( his sons ) to join the army, it was his fear that we join the army, every parent have his own fear of what his son could end up being, school failure, drugs, gay, or even "gamers".

i too wouldn't want my kids to turn gay/lesbian, it would pain me greatly and i would fight for it not to happen to them