Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

In defense of WoD (pretty much a rant of sorts)

Travel back in time. Back to when we hadn't yet realized we were in for over a year of pooping in Orgrimmar. Back to when you could turn on the news without hearing about Hillary Clinton e-mailing someone. Back to when times were magic, our minds were young and we lived in naive grace from the mounting horrors we were soon to endure.

Blizzard had just released an announcement trailer for Warlords of Draenor.

What were the story details? How would this fit in the lore? What was going to happen? Would it make any sense at all? Personally, I didn't give a shit. They could have written that a nymphomaniac turkey empowered by the Old Gods sexually relieved itself on a stack of old Willy Nelson CDs and ripped a tear in reality where a bunch of old Warcraft characters were hiding and I wouldn't have given a shit. For the first time since literally Burning Crusade I was actually excited for a WoW expansion. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate any of the other expansions or anything, and I was anticipating them as they grew closer to release and everything (with the exception of WotLK, which was during a time I had totally lost all interest in WoW and stopped giving a fuck for awhile), but WoD was the first time I really fucking wanted the expansion to come out.

Call it some kind of massive and unnecessary twist of the lore. You'd be pretty much well within your rights to do as much. But I didn't care if the whole inter-dimensional time travel stuff was sort of stupid, or that the Velen quote they include in the beginning of the announcement trailer is so cringeworthingly stupid and cliche that reading it makes me shit myself, or that Grom Hellscream's boxart design looks like he was drawn for a homoerotic manga. I didn't care. What mattered to me was we were finally going to see the likes of Ogrim and Grommash and Blackhand and Ner''zhul and Gul'dan and Kargath and Kil'rogg and all the rest in World of Warcraft. They didn't just include them in the game, either, they really wanted to push the whole "WARCRAFT CHARACTERS ARE BACK" thing with their best pre-release marketing yet.

When WoD was announced and as it drew closer to coming out, it seemed like pretty much no one really had objections to it. None of the "THIS EXPANSION WILL KILL WOW" business that MoP created or the "EH WHO CARES ABOUT DEATHWING" from Cataclysm. I mean, sure, you had people who voiced dislike or suspicions, but not everyone loves everything, so that was fine.

Finally, after only an entire year of waiting, the fucking expansion comes out. I am not a man who likes leveling. In fact, I fucking loathe doing it. Sure, I have favorite zones or parts of questing that I enjoy and recall fondly, but those are just bits and pieces of the overall experience that I didn't like. WoD was literally the first expansion where I thoroughly enjoyed questing the entire way through. I wasn't perfect, there were some choppy bits here and there and obviously cut content like the whole Orgrim business, but overall, I think it's easily the best leveling content Blizzard has ever done for WoW.

I don't think many people disagree with me on that. Most people seem to praise the leveling and end-zone cutscenes and stuff and generally, their issues only seem to start cropping up once they reach endgame. The resounding, ever-repeated reason?

"There's nothing to do!"

My only response to this is: What the fuck are you people talking about?

Not because WoD is actually bursting with things to do at max level, but because I'm totally and completely unsure just what in the hell you people are comparing WoD endgame to. What expansion in the history of this entire game has there ever been much to do? The answer is: none of them!

It seems to me like people are upset because they totally got rid of grinding dungeons for badges to buy or upgrade gear and removed dailies. With no forced and contrived timesink reason to just mindlessly do dungeons, people have now gotten upset that there's nothing to do, which confounds me, somewhat. I say "somewhat" because I'm not overly surprised that WoW players behave like this. They literally cut out stupid and braindead forced grinding that wasn't content or really anything to do and now that WoW players don't have some fucking carrot on a stick shoved in front of their face, they're upset and aimless. As if unless there's something saying "better do some dungeons to get these stupid badges so you can upgrade your dumbass gear!" waiting for them on login, they go comatose and piss themselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that once I geared up, that was it. I got to be done with it. No more grinding for some stupid valor points or something to upgrade gear like a fucking retard.

Garrisons suck. I think most people are pretty unanimous in that agreement. But for as lame and shallow as they were, despite being shoved in our faces, they really didn't take anything away from the game.

I just fail to see what people are talking about when they try claiming WoD has nothing to do (at least compared to other expansions). I don't know what fucking weird, messed up rock anyone has been living under but there's always been nothing to fucking do in WoW. WoD didn't invent this game being boring, people.

I'll agree, fullheartedly, that Blizzard is severely lacking in bringing us mid-expansion 5 man content. It's a real shame, because some of the other mid-expansion dungeons have been really great. I think I spent almost more time doing the Dragon Soul 5 mans than I ever did doing the Dragon Soul raid. Their lack of 5 man content is about the only thing I agree with, but again, this isn't new or exclusive to WoD. MoP had just as little shit to do, only supplemented by horseshit "gear upgrading" that everyone loves to pretend was a valid investment of playtime.

WoD has introduced Mythic-tier 5 mans, however, and I'm quite excited at the prospect of Mythic-tier dungeons and I'm eagerly awaiting to see how they'll play out next expansion, providing they're there upon/shortly after release.

Other than a lack of new 5 man content, WoD is pretty much status par for WoW content. Just because Blizzard isn't forcing people to sit around, slogging through old 5 mans to GET DAT EPIC UPGRADEZZZZZ XDDDD doesn't mean jackshit. All things considered, I hold WoD to be one of their best expansions for multiple different reasons.

People got mad when some Blue poster claimed most of the WoD hate was from people just getting bored. I understand it's really insulting when some shithead dev just tries making claims for their players, but in this case, I think he's pretty much on point. How old is this game? Going on 11-12 years, now? Holy fuck. It's amazing this game has 1 player, let alone so much more over 1 million. You wanna see what an MMO over a decade old generally ends up looking like, go look up Runescape. Now THERE'S a game that no one plays and is legitimately going under (along with the development company that makes it)

I really think people are just tired of WoW, and they don't know how to properly summarize that feeling to themselves and to others, so they're looking for basically anything to blame.

People are trying to say there's nothing to do in WoD. I agree there's nothing to do, but not anymore or anyless than any other shitty expansion this game has. Hate it if you want, but don't make up strange and untrue stories about how there was so much more to do in any other expansion than there was in WoD, because that's a total crock of dickshit.

- - - Updated - - -

As an addition to my post, it's worth noting that, although they're so far implementing it very piss-poorly, WoD has introduced time walking dungeons. If they ever get their heads out of their asses for two seconds to properly implement it into the game, it would pretty much give WoD more dungeon content than... well, literally every other expansion and the base game combined. At the very least, they serve(d) as a pretty fun distraction from the typical repetitive slog of doing the same expansion dungeons over and over, and rewarded a piece of raid gear for doing it. Now if they'd make this either more often or just actually implemented into the game they might actually be making the game a slightly less boring for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike WoD.
    Hey

I respectfully disagree with your opinion about WoD.

It is one of the worst expansion hands-down. When you compare WoD content to other expansion, you will know why WoD is worse, despite that it only have ONE MAJOR PATCH. Yes, one fucking single major patch. All other expansions had 3 major patches.

So, WoD is basically a cash grab expansion with no real content.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Not because WoD is actually bursting with things to do at max level, but because I'm totally and completely unsure just what in the hell you people are comparing WoD endgame to. What expansion in the history of this entire game has there ever been much to do? The answer is: none of them!
    You're wrong. BC had Isle of Quel'danas, Wrath had quest hubs pop up over the course of the expansion and new dungeons show up with ICC, Wrath also got a mini filler raid to gap Wrath to Cata, Cata had new dungeons show up every major patch except Firelands in which we got this huge instanced daily hub, MoP had timeless Isle. If you're gonna talk shit, at least be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquente View Post
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion about WoD.

It is one of the worst expansion hands-down. When you compare WoD content to other expansion, you will know why WoD is worse, despite that it only have ONE MAJOR PATCH. Yes, one single major patch. All other expansions had 3 major patches.

So, WoD is basically a cash grab expansion with no real content.
    Then compare it to the other expansions. What does WoD, other than pointless badge chasing, have less of than compared to the other expansions??

The only thing it's really had less of were raids, I suppose I didn't mention that very well in my first post, but it's had three tiers of them (or at least three releases). Would there have been "more to do" if the first raid tier had 2 increasingly smaller raids with it?

WoD is is just "OK", while i have felt the need to do much, the vista is nice and the theme is ok. Like i said, i don't feel he impetus to DO ANYTHING. I had some goals in TBC and Wrath, a few in Cata and MoP, but not much with WoD. Garrisons were the main part and i don't like that, so I am hoping for more insensitive in the next. If I don't see that in the beta, i won't be buying it. Simple as that, MAKE me want to play. If not...

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    You're wrong. BC had Isle of Quel'danas, Wrath had multiple quest hubs pop up over the course of the expansion and new dungeons show up with ICC, Cata had new dungeons show up every major patch except Firelands in which we got this huge instanced daily hub, MoP had timeless Isle. If you're gonna talk shit, at least be right.
    And WoD has Tanaan Jungle, lol.

I already mentioned that I admitted WoD has had a lack of 5 man content, but then, so did MoP. If you're going to write a response, read the first post.

The Firelands daily hub was alright, but ultimately it was just grinding dailies and nothing else. Barely content.

Then compare it to the other expansions. What does WoD, other than pointless badge chasing, have less of than compared to the other expansions??

The only thing it's really had less of were raids, I suppose I didn't mention that very well in my first post, but it's had three tiers of them (or at least three releases). Would there have been "more to do" if the first raid tier had 2 increasingly smaller raids with it?
    No.WoD is unfinished product. It would be good if WoD had 3 major patches, 3 raid tiers and real content which Blizzard ultimately failed to do so because they used their team as an excuse.

Anyone who says WoD is the best expansion is unreal.

And WoD has Tanaan Jungle, lol.

I already mentioned that I admitted WoD has had a lack of 5 man content, but then, so did MoP. If you're going to write a response, read the first post.

The Firelands daily hub was alright, but ultimately it was just grinding dailies and nothing else. Barely content.
    Tanaan is a joke, there's nothing to do. Dailies take 15 minutes to do. That's not a daily hub.

Also your argument about Firelands is horrid lol...constructing a foothold in enemy territory, unlocking new npcs, new buffs, if thats not content you need to get off your high horse lol.
    Last edited by Zyky; 2015-08-02 at 12:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

World content with relevance and longevity, tiered dungeons, reputations with relevance, and scenarios. All off the top of my head, all missing as worthwhile non-raid endgame to pursue in favor of World of Menucraft. The Apexis zones have no story connection, the reputations have no story progression except maybe one quest at Exalted that's the equivalent of Over the Road's "You're Winner!" victory screen, and the treasures and rares offer nothing of value to anyone but a toy enthusiast. Even the mounts that drop off rares are lazily recycled from the Stables and reputations.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account

Raids, dungeons, and flying off the top of my head. New classes, new races. Cataclysm redid 1-60 content. Three tiers, four for Wrath. The stories were also a lot more compelling and you didn't spend 90% of your time sitting in a garrison with no one around you playing a glorified cell phone game for stupid rewards.
    Hey

Tanaan is a joke, there's nothing to do. Dailies take 15 minutes to do. That's not a daily hub.

Also your argument about Firelands is horrid lol...constructing a foothold in enemy territory, unlocking new npcs, new buffs, if thats not content you need to get off your high horse lol.
    "Tanaan sucks there's nothing to do! That's not a daily hub!!"

*Proceeds to overinflate the content of the Firelands daily hub by erroneously making it out to be more than it was*

Goodjob. Keep going. You are doing great!

World content with relevance and longevity, tiered dungeons, reputations with relevance, and scenarios. All off the top of my head, all missing as worthwhile non-raid endgame to pursue in favor of World of Menucraft. The Apexis zones have no story connection, the reputations have no story progression except maybe one quest at Exalted that's the equivalent of Over the Road's "You're Winner!" victory screen, and the treasures and rares offer nothing of value to anyone but a toy enthusiast. Even the mounts that drop off rares are lazily recycled from the Stables and reputations.
    What in the pisspiddlefuck did the other expansions bring to the table when it came to World content with relevance and longevity? "Reputations with relevance"?? What? How has any other reputation ever been anymore relevant than the WoD ones?

Your entire post is just "Other expansions had stuff, WoD had stuff too, but I don't like it, do it doesn't count!"

Raids, dungeons, and flying off the top of my head. New classes, new races. Cataclysm redid 1-60 content. Three tiers, four for Wrath. The stories were also a lot more compelling and you didn't spend 90% of your time sitting in a garrison with no one around you playing a glorified cell phone game for stupid rewards.
    What does flying have to do with there being more endgame content? Same with races? Your opinion on stories being more compelling is just an opinion.

I, of course, agree with Cata's 1-60 content. Cataclysm is another highly under appreciated expansion for the same reason as WoD. It totally revamped a massive part of the game, more than any other expansion ever, and people were upset that the end game suffered a little bit because of it. But still, what does that have to do with WoD having no end-game content compared to the other expansions that had generally equal amounts of nothing to really do?

Deleted
    The main issue I've had so far with WoD is purely everything revolving the garrison.

Professions basically having no more need as long as you have enough alts to get all the buildings.
    Being able to get far over 20k gold within a week of the expansion launching purely on selling readily available mats in higher level garrisons on the AH.
    Once people realised garrisons = free stuff, the resulting market price drop making farming professions completely irrelevant through WoD with the removal of their unique bonuses (1% Stam, 1% Crit, Healing skill)
    Repetitive actions with no rewards (Both in normal and in naval missions)

Granted I enjoyed WoD, the questing was amazing, the storyline is enticing, the sceneries are jawdropping (excluding Spires).
    But once I hit 100 and had my level 3 garrison and my ilvl 630 Blues from heroics. There was nothing left for me to do but raid. And Highmaul was the worst of them in my opinion. Therefore kind of making me lose interest in it in the long run of things and the BRF hit. Being sceptical about it I was mindblown, easily one of the better raids in WoW imo. (Still doesn't beat Ulduar or ICC, but it's up there.)

The problem with all the faction rep grinds and pet battle collections etc, is that I literally don't give two shits unless there's good rewards to be had. Which I felt there were none of this expansion. No rep-gear upgrades or anything, making it completely useless to the raiders. Only those willing to show off achievements had a good amount of content I feel.

Deleted
    My problem with the game and the reason why I unsubscribed is the lack of narrative and the lack of coherence in the story. I mean, we just came out of MoP where you had the whole "what is worth fighting for" speech, and now you're just expected to mindlessly kill some barely-resisting orcs because a table said so. Same with Highmaul. Why would we even bother going there? And just the whole AU plotline didn't cut it for me. Gameplay-wise, I hated the garrison and the feeling of being forced to use it if I wanted to raid, and also how they killed professions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the retarded vanila level reputation, in no way comparable to MoP ones
    Last edited by mmocfa5c84ed7f; 2015-08-02 at 12:44 AM.

"Tanaan sucks there's nothing to do! That's not a daily hub!!"

*Proceeds to overinflate the content of the Firelands daily hub by erroneously making it out to be more than it was*

Goodjob. Keep going. You are doing great!
    Do I really have to go into this with another ignorant moron -.- Lets go into details here Tanaan is literally 1 quest with a PROGRESS BAR where you just grind mobs endlessly until it hits 100%. Then you turn in and have to do 2 more progress bars. That's bullshit. For as large of a zone as Tanaan is.

Firelands unlocked overtime, you saw new faces over time, you saw new progress with the growth of your tree, you saw DIFFERENT dailies every day. That weren't a fucking progress bar. You actually did something every day that made you feel like you were doing something with significant value to the story. What does Tanaan do? Oh we kinda did the same thing as yesterday...I'm just endlessly grinding Iron Horde or Demons...awesome...not really.

Garrisons suck. I think most people are pretty unanimous in that agreement. But for as lame and shallow as they were, despite being shoved in our faces, they really didn't take anything away from the game.
    Stopped reading here. The quoted portion above is beyond dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandurin View Post
    Like I said, Garrisons are pretty awful and everything, but what would you be doing right now if you were still playing WotLK, Cata, or MoP? My point is is that there wasn't really anything more to do in the other expansions but raid. A patch came out, you did the meager non-raid related content and then you just raided and had nothing else to do.

The only exception thus far to this is the Throne of Thunder dailies. Now THAT was some good daily quest hub content that gave you some alternative things to do when you weren't doing the raid itself. It wasn't perfect or glorious or anything, but I acknowledge it for being an okay piece of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Poulpozorus View Post
    My problem with the game and the reason why I unsubscribed is the lack of narrative and the lack of coherence in the story. I mean, we just came out of MoP where you had the whole "what is worth fighting for" speech, and now you're just expected to mindlessly kill some barely-resisting orcs because a table said so. Same with Highmaul. Why would we even bother going there? And just the whole AU plotline didn't cut it for me. Gameplay-wise, I hated the garrison and the feeling of being forced to use it if I wanted to raid, and also how they killed professions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the retarded vanila level reputation, in no way comparable to MoP ones
    Agree with everything you said. I was coming in skeptical, because I was already at orc saturation by the end of SoO. The last thing I wanted was another expac focusing on them. But they dangled the prospect of Draenei storyline in front of us and I bit. I won't make that mistake again.

I've played WoW without cancelling for 9 years, this is the first time I've cancelled. The game is not fun for me right now.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Stopped reading here. The quoted portion above is beyond dumb.
    Explain why it's dumb, then. Or can you do nothing but randomly shitpost with nothing to back it up...?

Do I really have to go into this with another ignorant moron -.- Lets go into details here Tanaan is literally 1 quest with a PROGRESS BAR where you just grind mobs endlessly until it hits 100%. Then you turn in and have to do 2 more progress bars. That's bullshit. For as large of a zone as Tanaan is.

Firelands unlocked overtime, you saw new faces over time, you saw new progress with the growth of your tree, you saw DIFFERENT dailies every day. That weren't a fucking progress bar. You actually did something every day that made you feel like you were doing something with significant value to the story. What does Tanaan do? Oh we kinda did the same thing as yesterday...I'm just endlessly grinding Iron Horde or Demons...awesome...not really.
    I concur that the neat bit of the Firelands dailies were how it changed and you felt like it slightly progressed over time. That was neat, but the content itself was still just grinding monotonous daily quests. It was essentially what you described Tanaan to be and nothing more, outside of some moderately neat changes that occurred over the weeks. Whether you do one daily quest or the other, they're all boring as fuck and generally the same damn thing. Don't try claiming it as otherwise.

There's also a progressive storyline in Tanaan, if you bothered to actually do the content you're bitching about.

Deleted
    WTF? Why would you defend really bad work by Blizzard? That's hilarious (unless you're getting paid by them).