Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Yes, but his point still stands, you can cloth yourself against cold, but not against heat. Your bullshit arguments sum up exactly what we are used to on these forums, some crazy feminist who doesn't want to compromise.
    Clothing isn't the only way to regulate your body temperature, obviously, as the topic is about AC. A floor fan helps too, consider trying one. Everyone can make some simple changes such as choices in clothing, or using a blanket, heater, or fan, to make themselves more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Yes, but his point still stands, you can cloth yourself against cold, but not against heat. Your bullshit arguments sum up exactly what we are used to on these forums, some crazy feminist who doesn't want to compromise.
    "used to on these forums" is a misnomer. I don't see such things here commonly. the opposite is truer.

Also, Both your side and Jason1975 are making good points within the context of the situations they apply to. But your arguments against each other are outside those applicable contexts. There are moderate situations where both of you are right, your views are not incompatible. The real solution is proper consideration for the situation at hand. Something interfering with productive work has to be dealt with proper office rules fair to all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Great, now men have another excuse to walk around shirtless in summer. Thanks alot!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Clothing isn't the only way to regulate your body temperature, obviously, as the topic is about AC. A floor fan helps too, consider trying one. Everyone can make some simple changes such as choices in clothing, or using a blanket, heater, or fan, to make themselves more comfortable.
    Again, the point still stands, you can not cloth your self against heat. You can use a fan, you can use the AC, but that is not clothing, those are appliances made to regulate temperature. And just displacing air doesn't really help to cool your body unless you are sweating profoundly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    "used to on these forums" is a misnomer. I don't see such things here commonly. the opposite is truer.

Also, Both your side and Jason1975 are making good points within the context of the situations they apply to. But your arguments against each other are outside those applicable contexts. There are moderate situations where both of you are right, your views are not incompatible. The real solution is proper consideration for the situation at hand. Something interfering with productive work has to be dealt with proper office rules fair to all.
    An office will generally not be colder then 20c, if you need mittens because you are so cold at 20c there is something wrong with you and you should see a doctor asap. His argument was how unconsidered men where and how he showed them.. And if you do not think that this forum is full off pro feminist bullshit then you have not been paying attention to the moderation here.
    But back OT, the only moderate situations would be when the AC or the heating died, other then that there are standard temperatures, so just dress accordingly to them. And since they do not want men wearing shorts to work they will have to keep temperatures down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be fine with swapping from suit to a t-shirt and trousers if it resulted in a better temperature setting for everyone.

I still don't know what a lot of roles enforce a suit. Especially purely internal positions.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    For anybody who actually watched the report or read about this when it came out, the issue is that international standards for heating and air-conditioning settings are typically set for levels that are comfortable for a man's body temp. The new research shows that that temperature is far too cold for the average woman.
    Not quite.

The research that showed an up to 35% disparity is not the ones in the news piece. But this one from April. What it shows is that the MEP measure is skewed when the groups is heterogeneous (by age and gender). Of note, the 35% figure surfaces when 1) people are not seating, and 2) the average american (obese, they note) is thrown into the mix. For groups at the lower end of the normal relative weight range, this figure is skewed by 14%.

The standards are not international. And they do not regulate the settings for heat/ac. They offer a model. What the new paper in nature does is take this into account and build a new model. One not based in empirical statistical data, but in predictions of physiological constraints.
    Nowhere is it claimed that the settings are too low for anyone. That's absurd: the ones setting those values are the users in the building.
    What it does claim is that buildings may be non-energy-efficient when providing comfort to females. Because the work group will set the temperature to whatever they fancy the most, but the building may be designed with expectations of lower temperatures than those in the real world.

Mind you, this is not news. We have decades of data to show that our building standards don't adjust to the reality of a work place. Much of the inefficiencies derive from improper usage of the installations (like wanting to heat the building quickly in the early hours instead of having it temporized to turn on before people start working). For all I care, their model has very little use: because it's not based in actual statistical data.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was used by imbeciles in HR to set a higher temp than the one previously agreed on, because science says so (when it clearly doesn't for anyone that actually read the papers).
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-08-06 at 09:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anybody that is cold at 20c or 68 fahrenheit needs to go back to outer space.

That is the most nonsense science I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    The fuck? That's not warm inside. I keep my apartment at 25c-27c.
    Inside the oven? We keep our apartment at 18c if we can (sometimes it gets too hot outside) and that is only the living room. Bedrooms are much colder (as low as 5c in the winter).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    This. This. This.

THIS!!
    "This people"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Is it the air conditioning that is sexist, or is it the air that is inherently sexist?
    Obviously it is the air, it gives more oxygen to men after all.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    How many offices do you think would allow such things? Fans are noisy,not to mention blowing your paper work everywhere

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    According to this woman;

AC= sexist

Would that mean too hot= sexist? (too hot = men trying to get women to wear less clothing)