WoW's "kitchen sink" expansion -- will it save Warcraft or kill it?

Analysis piece:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/07/wo...year-old-game/

What do you think? Net positive for Warcraft or negative, based on what you've seen?

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it will be miles ahead of warlords in terms of theme, characters, plot, content, and new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Looks like it will be miles ahead of warlords in terms of theme, characters, plot, content, and new features.
    Thats what people said about Warlords while playing MoP.

Game is just too old, it has to die at some point. Nothing lasts forever. After what WoD to the game, this new xpac might be too little too late.

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post

Game is just too old, it has to die at some point. Nothing lasts forever. After what WoD to the game, this new xpac might be too little too late.
    EQ1 is way older, so is EQ2, Ragnarok Online..etc...yet people still play them enough that they are profitable. FFXIV has somewhere in the neighborhood of 500k subs in the US (its not much higher in Japan) yet it stays afloat with frequent content patches.

WoW will never regain the numbers it had in WoTLK/early Cata but but people here act like the game is so old,dead and outdated its like playing with rocks in the backyard.
    Last edited by Lisa Frank Succubus; 2015-08-07 at 10:14 PM.

Deleted
    There are some pretty cringeworthy errors in that article.

Probably a positive, but it's a "too little too late" scenario for me. WoD murdered the fun in the game for me and I don't feel like playing anymore regardless of what storyline or carrots they attempt to entice players like me with.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

10+ Year Old Account

The people who said that about WoD were wrong. It's easy to say that it was a predictable failure in hindsight, of course, but I'd argue there were some things that made WoD look bad right from the get go.

The heavy focus on garrisons was a super bold and risky move that didn't pay off, and actually backfired spectacularly. The feature was originally sold as more of an optional thing, but quickly became the centerpiece and sucked every other area of the game into it. Profession "integration" (or obliteration) is the best example of this. The fact that they redid many of the zones in an effort to put more emphasis on the garrison shows that they were counting on it being well-received, but instead it was reviled. Major areas of cut content (Tanaan, Bladespire/Karabor, Trial of the Gladiator) was also a very worrisome sign. I admit to being excited and hyped for Warlords, but this was primarily due to the theme: it was a dark, Warcrafty setting again, not the seemingly childish pandas. I say this as someone who really has no issue with Pandaren, but I know a lot of people just couldn't get over it, and Warlords fixed that issue pretty well.

This time around, I think people are more excited for the actual content features than the theme (although many are hyped about that as well), which, if successful, gives it a more lasting appeal. Demon Hunters alone provide a substantial amount of content in the form of new gameplay. The mentioned but not detailed "focus on dungeons" gives me hope -- if they go through with that, I think we'll have a winner.

7+ Year Old Account

This. This is THE EXACT SAME THING WE SAID AFTER THE WOD REVEAL. The reveal that turned out to be a bait-and-switch, with the overwhelming majority of the "features" they listed never making it into the game.

I don't believe a word they say. I won't even look at Legion until minimum 4 months after launch, to gauge the community reaction and see if this was another bait-and-switch or if they actually put content in the game this time.

EQ is still here after 16 years and more than one expansion per year (they're up to 20th or 21th expansion now).

What makes you or any rational person think that WoW which still has twice as many subs right now that EQ ever did at its best is gonna go away anytime soon? WoW will still be here after another ten years and half-dozen expansions, and people will be still kicking the dead horse of WoW ending soon and being just as wrong as always.

I never thought I would play WoW ever again after Cataclysm until I found https: //en. nostalrius. org/ vanilla private server completely blizzlike with no pay to win

Amazing how many people are in the main cities, wherever you go you run into players even in the corners of the most remote places you end up seeing people

Go into a BG have an epic fight with someone then you end up running into that person randomly in the world

The server has the casuals, the tryhards, the pvpers, the farmers, the server trolls -- Everything missing from current World of Warcraft is there, a real community

Quote Originally Posted by sojs View Post
    I never thought I would play WoW ever again after Cataclysm until I found https: //en. nostalrius. org/ vanilla private server completely blizzlike with no pay to win

Amazing how many people are in the main cities, wherever you go you run into players even in the corners of the most remote places you end up seeing people

Go into a BG have an epic fight with someone then you end up running into that person randomly in the world

The server has the casuals, the tryhards, the pvpers, the farmers, the server trolls -- Everything missing from current World of Warcraft is there, a real community
    Except Vanilla was pretty bad and when did wow become pay to win?

It does look like they're throwing everything into it. Its literally an entire fan wish list of stuff. I doubt it'll be the final expac, but it does make you think just what could follow something like that up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    It does look like they're throwing everything into it. Its literally an entire fan wish list of stuff. I doubt it'll be the final expac, but it does make you think just what could follow something like that up.
    This is the problem. WOD showed a lot of the same type of stuff. And it was a bait-and-switch, with literally 90% of what was shown in the reveal removed. Blizzard is great at creating hype and making great reveals. They do not have a track record of actually MAKING THE GAME with the elements they show.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Except Vanilla was pretty bad and when did wow become pay to win?
    I'm sure this new Xpac is going to fix all the problems, same braindead leveling process, no community, bots, dungeon finder, raid finder, everyone running around with a legendary item that should be limited to 1 per server

WoW never became pay to win I just said that because private servers are often pay to win because they need a way to support themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    My only fear is that people were really hyped for WoD too and thought it would be the best ever (myself included). I'm excited for Legion, and I do think that it shows some promise, however I no longer trust Blizzard to deliver a quality product like they have in the past.

The subs don't lie, that is a huge drop very early in an expansion. Something is very wrong and they need to fix it. Hopefully Legion will do so, hopefully it's full of content that will keep people entertained for the better part of a year. If WoD was a filler to get from point a to point b to move the story towards Legion that's fine, they have a lot of nerve charging extra for it though and calling it an expansion lol.

Although a lot of it looks pretty awesome, I'm also getting that too good to be true vibe. A lot of stuff we've been told about are things that fans have wanted for a long time. My fear is this is a ploy to get people back in. Want to wield Frostmourne? Okay, here ya go. Emerald Dream? Done. Titans? Sprinkled in there for ya. Illidan and the Legion? Yep, tons of that too. Demon Hunter class? Yep! If it works well this will be an amazing expansion. I hope that they carefully thought this through and didn't just throw together a bunch of stuff they knew people would be excited for. The game will not recover another bomb like WoD. There will always be die hard fans that will play no matter what, but they are the minority. The majority of players will leave and WoW could in fact be considered "dead" at that point.