Poll: What's your take on the rng-based sockets/extra stats/warforged items?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Waste of time, IMO. The original intent of even having warforged was so people would be nudged towards 25 mans. Now that mythic has been scaled directly to a single fixed size, I think it's pointless. If they wanted to keep gear interesting while killing old bosses, they shouldn't have add portals and warps that make you skip half of them -- because no one will go back to something on farm just for a chance at warforged/socket/tertiary stats.

I say, ditch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should still have reforging... With the removal of hit and expertise as a thing, reforging is more viable than ever... it allows you to take upgrade gear with poorer secondary stats, but better primary stats, than the gear you're replacing, and help better optimize it.

As for things like warforged... Warforged should still drop from raids, but you should be able to use your valor points to UPGRADE gear to warforged status... therefore, it's not always a chore, and sometimes you get a nice perk on top of raid gear.

Gems? Same thing as reforging. They give you another way to help optimize your gear.

I really don't have any problem with gear optimization. Everyone wants to feel they're doing their gear right. You can't control what drops you get, so it's not something like talents where there's "one right answer" that's just a google search away.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    State on Tokens Before opening Socket or WF please...

I like the WF/Socket stuff, but I feel it being quite shit because of RNG, I have opened with BRF+HFC ~ 23 tokens, I have gotten 0 WF/Socket out of them, just avoidance. While other people are getting from their first 4 tokens 2 WF+Socket, 1 Socket and 1 WF and right there having 3 sockets on your tier gear is such an incredible boost.

Theres no point "seeking out the proc" because its random. it does not extend the grind as you cannot actively seek it and you were going to be grinding that content anyway even if it did not exist. There is no timesink. Its not even RNG, its a bonus. You don't need it but its nice when you get it.

the real issue here is people obsessing over Min-maxing for a system that intentionally no longer supports it as it was in MoP (where you couldn't wear your gear when you got it and a drop often meant having to reforge almost all your gear again), other than the availability of alternative-stat drops on the same tier. . Which btw is how it actually was back in the day, but now you get a bonus chance for something more powerful. The proc is a nice bonus (some more than others) that you occasionally get. That is all.

You get your drop and that is great. that is what you need. the system lets you have the chance for that drop to be even more powerful in some manner. It is not a carrot to chase, nor can it be a carrot for chasing unless you are a moron.

They are retaining the current stat system and increasing the list of things you can proc for WoD. It avoids the negative repercussions of having a system where players over indulge in min-maxing but still provides a nice gear bonus in a sublime manner that doesn't jolt the system around for content updates.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2015-08-10 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really enjoy this system
    what i don't like is they lame state we have nowadays ... Where are the weapon procs ... ring procs ... set bonusses we used to have

Having a ring + necklace that give a cool proc is awesome.

edit:
    I am not such a fan of reforging and found is a very boring experience ... hoping for certain items te drop is way more fun.
    Last edited by Chrno; 2015-08-10 at 06:50 AM.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how it is now, it would be one notch better if reforging was at selection as well.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    The min/max attitude has infested the game too extremely.
    Well, one can argue that if you are playing and don't want to maximise your performance, not only it is a mental issue, but also a slack, putting more weight on shoulders of your fellow raiders.

Also, there is one more downside thing. Maybe its my personal unluck - yes, I am terribly unlucky when it comes to gear drops in MMORPGs - but I always get WF items which secondaries do not fit my spec, while great items which fit my spec always come in a basic form. Which only adds to frustration, sadly.

Still, I believe, if only there was a reforge, all this things would be absolutely unimportant.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    This is more of a case where your opinion doesn't matter because it would all lead to some preferring if they would get the BiS gear served by a vendor so they could finish and quit the game.

Eventually you will accept that getting BIS is virtually unattainable and will just be a bit more happy when you get a socket or warforged proc.

I don't like random stats on gear. Prefer how it was in wrath/cata.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    you know it's bad design when the item you want drops but you're still disappointed cause there's no socket or wf.
    No, that's how you know you're mentally ill.

I'm serious. Just because your mental and can't see that you don't NEED the bonus doesn't mean it's bad. This offers extended gear progression and you're calling it bad. People need to realize that happening to get a crappy stat is part of the game. You're asking to always have good without the bad, it doesn't work that way.

I can almost guarantee that if this WERE the old system that people would be ranting that they need to bring it back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Well, one can argue that if you are playing and don't want to maximise your performance, not only it is a mental issue, but also a slack, putting more weight on shoulders of your fellow raiders.

Also, there is one more downside thing. Maybe its my personal unluck - yes, I am terribly unlucky when it comes to gear drops in MMORPGs - but I always get WF items which secondaries do not fit my spec, while great items which fit my spec always come in a basic form. Which only adds to frustration, sadly.

Still, I believe, if only there was a reforge, all this things would be absolutely unimportant.

Again. You should be happy that you got an upgrade to begin with. And grateful that during your next raid you might get to get an upgrade again.

This is the exact mentality that's hurting the game. People keep mistaking less as more.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2015-08-10 at 09:36 AM.

Again. You should be happy that you got an upgrade to begin with. And grateful that during your next raid you might get to get an upgrade again.
    This is the exact mentality that's hurting the game. People keep mistaking less as more.
    What? Then maybe I need to be happy that I have both hands and am able to play computer games at competitive level? What is that, some eastern philosophy?

I am playing to raid, raiding to kill bosses, and gear is a tool that makes killing bosses easier. If I need to beat a nail into a wooden something, should I be happy if I get a hammer made of aluminium, when I could get a steel one?
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    What? Then maybe I need to be happy that I have both hands and am able to play computer games at competitive level? What is that, some eastern philosophy?

I am playing to raid, raiding to kill bosses, and gear is a tool that makes killing bosses easier. If I need to beat a nail into a wooden something, should I be happy if I get a hammer made of aluminium, when I could get a steel one?
    Yes? If it does the job. Which normal unwarforged/gemmed gear does, considering that's what the fights are designed around.

What you're asking for is an aluminum hammer without the possibility of getting a steel one. It's completely nonsensical. Only thing I would say they could do to meet a middle ground is give guaranteed gem slots on certain pieces. And maybe continue to have random chance for ones on other pieces.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2015-08-10 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    I think that it is awesome for questing, dungeons and lfr, but shouldn't be a thing in raids. At least not on mythic.

I would also rather have sockets being a thing you could add to a piece yourself, since it can be such a major thing, and on of the only ways you can really customize your secondary stats.
    Last edited by mmoc840776f426; 2015-08-10 at 12:23 PM.

Deleted
    The reforging system was fine. Randomness upon randomness is never enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    The reforging system was fine. Randomness upon randomness is never enjoyable.
    Reforging was redundant.

This all comes back down to the same thing a lot of other discussions come to. Should players have unlimited power? Or should they have to deal with not having their way all the time?

Reforging was redundant.

This all comes back down to the same thing a lot of other discussions come to. Should players have unlimited power? Or should they have to deal with not having their way all the time?
    Reforging didn't give you unlimited power. Let's say you wanted an item with 300 crit and 300 mastery because those were your best secondary stats. That item was from a much later boss in the raid, however, and your best option in the mean time was a 300 crit and 300 haste item from the first boss. At the very least, you could get that item and reforge the 300 haste into 120 Mastery and 180 haste. That was still weaker than your best-in-slot, but it at least gave you some feeling of progression until you got the better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    Reforging didn't give you unlimited power. Let's say you wanted an item with 300 crit and 300 mastery because those were your best secondary stats. That item was from a much later boss in the raid, however, and your best option in the mean time was a 300 crit and 300 haste item from the first boss. At the very least, you could get that item and reforge the 300 haste into 120 Mastery and 180 haste. That was still weaker than your best-in-slot, but it at least gave you some feeling of progression until you got the better one.
    I'm not totally against reforging I just don't think you should be able to reforge by the amount we used to be able to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    Likely the one with "stats worse for your class" is still going to be an upgrade for you. They can just make sure that any secondary stat isn't straight up useless and this goal is attained without the redundancy of reforging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on the other side. Reforge can sod off, and I close to feel the same about Ask Mr. Robot. I like having odd choices that don't fit strict min/maxing. I like to see what happens if I happen to get pieces with avoidance, leech or speed for example. For guild runs, I make sure everything is as optimal as possible, but for other stuff I like to have choices.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.