Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

St Albans: M1 lorry found with 18 suspected illegal immigrants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-33840559

I hate to be that guy but I can't help but feel that despite those 18 getting caught they will still be allowed to stay. Personally I have no issue with immigration as long as it's legal, I understand the issue is complex but the number is unfortunately getting higher

The article isn't clear... is a Lorry a tractor trailer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    A lorry is a lorry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    A lorry is a haulage truck, like this red lorry...

Or this yellow lorry...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A lorry is a haulage truck, like this red lorry...

Or this yellow lorry...

I see what you did, /bravo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I see what you did, /bravo
    I'm prouder of that than I really should be.

Deleted
    Considering Adam's post history, I wonder when will homosexuality enter the conversation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madokara Mieru View Post
    Considering Adam's post history, I wonder when will homosexuality enter the conversation.
    About now because you mentioned it /bravo

Those are called semis, or semi-tractor trailors in the US.

Edit: pronounced sem eyes (plural)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Those are called semis, or semi-tractor trailors in the US.

Edit: pronounced sem eyes (plural)
    Haha semi [immature laugh]

Is this not the same thing that happens in the US but ...if anyone says ,"Immigration is fine as long as it is the legal way" they are racist and verbally mocked and talked down to ?

Does it work differently in the UK/England/EU etc?

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Is this not the same thing that happens in the US but ...if anyone says ,"Immigration is fine as long as it is the legal way" they are racist and verbally mocked and talked down to ?

It's not usually just those comments that get called racist. It's everything that usually comes along with it. Mainly the unwillingness to reform our current immigration policy. They want to make a border patrol strong enough to repel the current levels of illegal immigration when we shouldn't be facing this current level of illegal immigration, we just have the process in a ridiculous state where it takes too long to fulfill our current demand for immigrant labor.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-33840559

I hate to be that guy but I can't help but feel that despite those 18 getting caught they will still be allowed to stay. Personally I have no issue with immigration as long as it's legal, I understand the issue is complex but the number is unfortunately getting higher
    It's a fair point, it really is. However engage your brain for 2 minutes and think about why we can't just deport people. Ok I'll save you the effort, you can't "send people back where they came from" without knowing their country of origin. So you either need a passport to identify where they came from or you have to go off what the illegals tell you. We are not allowed to deport people to countries where they will get shrekt, so if the illegal says Syria for instance the UK government can't do fuck all but begin processing the Asylum request.

The UK is not a soft touch on immigration, we accept the fewest amount of immigrants in the EU. The problem is international law is complicated and sending people back to countries that are war zones or are likely to torture the immigrant is not a moral/legal thing to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    The UK is not a soft touch on immigration, we accept the fewest amount of immigrants in the EU.
    You mean asylum seekers you got a ton of eastern european immigrants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post

The thing about Europe is that it's more or less impossible to sneak into say England in a semi-truck as an illegal. What with England being an island and them being in the Schengen zone or whatever it's called.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    It's a fair point, it really is. However engage your brain for 2 minutes and think about why we can't just deport people. Ok I'll save you the effort, you can't "send people back where they came from" without knowing their country of origin. So you either need a passport to identify where they came from or you have to go off what the illegals tell you. We are not allowed to deport people to countries where they will get shrekt, so if the illegal says Syria for instance the UK government can't do fuck all but begin processing the Asylum request.

The UK is not a soft touch on immigration, we accept the fewest amount of immigrants in the EU. The problem is international law is complicated and sending people back to countries that are war zones or are likely to torture the immigrant is not a moral/legal thing to do.
    Technically all illegal immigrants to the UK come from France, or maybe Belgium, I doubt many take the sea or air route from Africa/ME
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The thing about Europe is that it's more or less impossible to sneak into say England in a semi-truck as an illegal. What with England being an island and them being in the Schengen zone or whatever it's called.
    Did you mean that the UK and Ireland aren't in the Schengen Area, as being in it would make it easier to come across the border unchecked, not harder and we aren't in it.

Technically all illegal immigrants to the UK come from France, or maybe Belgium, I doubt many take the sea or air route from Africa/ME
    What's that got to do with anything I said? If your an immigrant Syria but entered the UK from France, that doesn't make your country of origin France.

The UK isn't part of Schengen.

It's not technically correct, it's just plain wrong. The come through France, they come from other places like Africa and the Middle East.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    The UK isn't part of Schengen.

It's not technically correct, it's just plain wrong. The come through France, they come from other places like Africa and the Middle East.
    I thought the EU was very permissable with immigrants. I knew illegal immigration was a thing, but I didn't know it was an issue in your politics.

Don't immigrants in the EU pretty much travel across Europe where the labor demand is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I thought the EU was very permissable with immigrants. I knew illegal immigration was a thing, but I didn't know it was an issue in your politics.

Don't immigrants in the EU pretty much travel across Europe where the labor demand is needed?
    Are you talking about illegal immigrants or economic migrants from within the EU? It's not as simple as people travelling to where there's a demand for labour as people are generally that clued up on that kind of data. It's more like immigrants from within the EU travel to where they can achieve a decent standard of living, whether that be temporarily to send money back home to a country where it will go a lot further and where it would be difficult to make that kind of money, or to stay permanently with a view to becoming citizens of that country.

Sadly we're not short of reactionary xenophobes looking to blame an "other" for their problems here in the UK so it's a bit of an issue :P Although it may be a little overstated due to the rise of UKIP and how much attention they get from the press for saying stupid things.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-08-09 at 08:30 PM.