Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When cats become pests ...

I live in the middle of a little village (500 people) in the middle of the vines, in the south of France. It's the summer, and there is a REAL cats invasion. By the way, very few people have a garden in those old villages, and I do have one. We had a cat when we moved in there, but it died of cats aids a few months later, because of fighting with other infested males.These past years, we started planting strawberries, mint, ... the cats shitted everywhere, digged in the compost, pissed over the mint that died ... they slashed 3 swimming pools over years. Now I've made a little closed wired area for mint and herbs (aromatic, not be smoked ), we've built a " hard " swimming pool too.

But there're more and more cats, fighting, looking for a bf at night (and screaming), marking their territory. In the upper village, there're a bunch of old morons feeding " wandering cats ".

Of course, the matter is a matter of mentality. Here in the countryside, cats used to be some kind of assistants, helping vine growers to fight rats, and all those kinds of pests. Still, the mentality today, is to not sterilize cats, nor will people ever bring them to the vet if the cat is sick : it dies, there're plenty other. So, mostly, those cats are not " pets ", but it wouldn't change the situation if it was so.

I'm not in the 80s, when I saw my grandpa grab his gun to shoot a few of them or kill young born cats by throwing them on the wall (true). I tried pepper, we run after them everytime we see one. I don't want to poison those cats (even if, I have to admit it, when angered, I imagine it with satisfaction), I've bought a sling but I would feel bad by hurting them. The mayor knows about the problem and says we're under invasion.

Did anyone ever find a working solution ? My last idea is to buy a trapping cage, run 20 kilometers, and free them somewhere else, but considering the number, I'll have to fill in my car's tank several time.

Don't talk about " giving responsibilities " to owners, when they exist, they won't be fined (and I don't know if it is possible). My wife is saying it's maybe the occasion to have a dog that would hunt them by the way, but I told her that even if we'd like to have one, it would be a bad way to welcome it at home.

Culling is the best solution.

Deleted
    Feral cats are unfortunately a common problem around the Mediterranean, only real solution is mass cullings but then you get too many people complaining about "killing all the lovely kitty cats".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Feral cats are unfortunately a common problem around the Mediterranean, only real solution is mass cullings but then you get too many people complaining about "killing all the lovely kitty cats".
    Is razor wire an option in that area?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Is razor wire an option in that area?
    Most properties in European cities aren't as "seperated" as suburban areas in the US and very rarely have front garden space so it's a lot harder to keep them off. Also just keeping them off private property does nothing for the issue of them literally swarming in packs across public land, living off refuse and spreadIng disease.

In the US we have these live traps. You put a little cat food in the back.

If you want to be nice you can take the cat to the vet and have it spayed or neutered.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In the US we have these live traps. You put a little cat food in the back.

If you want to be nice you can take the cat to the vet and have it spayed or neutered.
    or use it to capture one, then hang it from a tree as a warning to the rest.

Deleted
    This is the reason why you should neuter your pets, it's all you can do aside from a allowing them to be hunted or yearly large animal control sweeps.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-08-10 at 08:35 AM.

Yeah Hubcap, that's the kind of cage I found on Amazon to trap them. I think I'll give it a try

or use it to capture one, then hang it from a tree as a warning to the rest.
    Some time ago I thought about capturing one and shitting on it to teach it that it should not do that in our garden, but I was not sure it would work, and was scared it would scratch my bollocks.

Oh ? Do you have any references Phosphate, if it works, I might give it a try !

15th century called, they want their thread back

Cat invasions, wth am i reading. If this is real, then grow some catnip everywhere, I'm sure that will get rid of their feral mentality and they'll just chill
    Last edited by GodEmperor; 2015-08-10 at 12:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    As an owner of 3 house cats, you probably need to look at a culling. It is the sad reality of the situation, but the reality none-the-less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poison some cat food, leave it outside. Repeat until you see less cats.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    This. Just use some rat poison and they will drop like flies

Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    Yeah Hubcap, that's the kind of cage I found on Amazon to trap them. I think I'll give it a try

Some time ago I thought about capturing one and shitting on it to teach it that it should not do that in our garden, but I was not sure it would work, and was scared it would scratch my bollocks.
    A cat lacks the higher brain function necessary to make such an abstract association. Typically when a human of average or higher intelligence reaches adolescence they will have developed enough of a theory of mind to understand this fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I suspect this may get you in trouble with the law if an owned cat accidentally ate some. Would definitely check up with your local council before putting poison out for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by darklift View Post
    15th century called, they want their thread back

Cat invasions, wth am i reading. If this is real, then grow some catnip everywhere, I'm sure that will get rid of their feral mentality and they'll just chill
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VXaw9eZ.jpg SNIP
    What a Catastrophe!

Feral cats like feral dogs can become a serious problem unless managed.

There are basically two solutions. One is catch/neuter/release (which is the more "humane") slow effect solution and the catch/euthanize, quick solution.

Feral cats and dogs must have their populations controlled, otherwise their populations can grow out of control very fast living off the detritus of modern urban areas.

In the US, coyotes are increasing in numbers, even in urban areas. They eat cats.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a large amount of powdered cayenne or black pepper, and sprinkle it in the places they use for a latrine. One snootful of that when they are sniffing for a place to poop will deter them from coming back. You'll need to re-apply after it rains significantly.

You can buy similar commercial products, but just buying the active ingredient yourself is usually cheaper.