Poll: How often do you take your pets to the vet?

A trip to the vet is in order.

Yesterday, my wife and i were talking and my littlest cat came running like the flash in the room and out, back in, around the bed, back out, then bolted in and out real quick...

im the back of my mind i was thinking "oh crap, what did she do..." because she usually runs crazy like that if she thinks she is in trouble for something...

walk out into the hallway... there is a trail of poo everywhere she ran.

starting from the windowsill where she likes to hang out, down the wall, around the master bed, up and across the master bed, out into the hallway, down the stairs, around the couch, back up the stairs, and to the door of my room...

so i am taking her to the vet today because we have noticed shes been protective of her stomach the past week or so, and until now we assumed it was just her being a cat not liking her tummy rubbed (she is spayed), because she never really liked that anyways.

all i can imagine in my mind is that she had to 'go' unexpectedly, and it literally scared the shit out of her... all over the house...

so... this in mind, how often do you take your pets to the vet?

only for shots? yearly? twice a year? whenever there is a suspected problem? never?
    (we keep our shots up to date, and take them in about every 2-3 years unless a problem happens)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For younger animals, once every year or two is usually fine, unless something is wrong.

Ask the vet for best advice.

As far as your cat goes: All I can imagine is a balloon that you let go, and it shoots all around the room. Replace air with poo.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-08-10 at 04:23 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only for shots, emergencies, and things I can't fix on my own. My mom was a vet for a long time, so for most things, I consult her first, and generally can resolve it myself. If not, then it's vet time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious View Post
    For younger animals, once every year or two is usually fine, unless something is wrong.

Ask the vet for best advice.

As far as your cat goes: All I can imagine is a balloon that you let go, and it shoots all around the room. Replace air with poo.
    that is what it looked like...

spent the next few hours with the spot-scrubber cleaning it all up :/

Once per year for shots and to get a tag so vet could tell where to bring him if he got lost or run away. I got him back once thanks to that.

For shots and as needed, at least once a year. Last vet visit was when she got a piece of plant matter (foxtail) stuck in her ear from a hiking trip.

Take your cat to the vet, something's up. Could be minor but that also sounds like it could be serious, too..at least chat up your vet on the phone--with my vet, at least, he'll let me know when a situation warrants bringing her in, and will discuss symptoms with me. She had a case of the flu for a week (sneezing, coughing, etc), and I called and he told me to bring her in if it lasted more than a week, it cleared up around the 7-day mark. Vets know what to look for, and if they're honest and not just out for $ they'll let you know what is a "definitely bring her in" situation and what is a "ehhhhh let's see if this clears up on its own" situation.

Deleted
    What a shitty pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should try squeezing her belly and seeing if it all comes shooting out.
    If succesful, celebrate your new found weaponized toy.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2015-08-10 at 07:02 PM.

Only for shots or if something seems wrong/off. Don't bother if he's doing well.