Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Petition to be the Lieutenant, rather than the Commander, of the Warlock Coven

I'll start by posing a simple question: Why in the name of all that is fel would we want to lead a nest of snakes? The history of warlocks is fraught with death and betrayal; we've never gotten along with anyone, least of all with each other. Now we're being asked to take the lead and leave our back open for our main competition's blades? Nay, better to be the warlock behind the warlock, to continue scheming in the shadows. Even Guldan knew better than to be at the head of the army, letting Hellscream and Archimonde shoulder the brunt of the slings and arrows. For no one covets the lieutenant's role, everyone wants to be the leader. When they seek a scapegoat, they aim their attacks at he who is in charge. When they attempt a coup, they set their sights on the head of the commander. Better to be the second, the one who knows how everything runs, who can be of use after the new leader has finished re-enacting an episode of Game of Thrones with his predecessor.

Doesn't anyone else remember the Council of the Black Harvest, the closest we have come to a governing body? We couldn't even cooperate long enough for our collective benefit without one of us getting greedy. Not to mention that the checks and balances of the council pretty much consisted of "if you betray us, the rest of us will hunt you down and banish you for eternity". You'd think that would do the trick...nope, we're just programmed to take any opportunity to screw others for our own gain.

Let's not even get started with Artifact Weapons, as if we won't have a big enough target on our backs, now they're handing us a powerful Warlock relic? Why don't they just shoot us in the head right now and get it over with, it's a better fate than what our brethren will have planned. I can just feel their greedy eyes leering intently at my precious, waiting for their opportunity to claim it from its rightful owner.

These are our "Champions"? Hah! If there is one word that does not suit Warlocks, it's champion. Rather than secure benefits for us, we're likely to venture into a Burning Legion trap orchestrated by our "loyal" minions. There's a reason why, unlike the other lesser classes, we have never had a historied organization. Not only would it prove counter-productive to our independent and treacherous nature, it would give our enemies a target to aim at. And believe me when I say our foes are plenty, even within our respective factions.

While we're off playing It's Always Sunny in the Netherworld the folks over in Azeroth are slowly going to come to an unfortunate realization. Guess what, our factions no longer need us! We used to fill in the niche of demon experts: need to figure out how to deal with demons, go to the lock. Not any more, now they got Demon Hunters. These guys even fit the bill for what is needed better: how to KILL demons. Before, dealing with the fact that we commune with demons was an unfortunate necessity for access to our demonic expertise. How long do you think it will take them to realize the status quo no longer holds? More importantly, do you really want to be around when they figure out 2+2 no longer equals 4? It's not like they had much love for us before any of the coming events, do you really believe they don't suspect our involvement in the approaching conflict?

Why do you think we're going to a Legion portal world to congregate? It's not because we chose to be there to be closer to the demons, both factions came to a consensus and decided they didn't want us meeting anywhere on the same damn planet! They didn't want us getting any ideas with all these demons around about where our allegiances might lie. Can you really blame them? The decision to ship us off-world might be the first smart choice Azeroth has made in decades.

Out of all the classes, we're the most likely to legitimately do a cost/benefit analysis on which side to back. We're the closest thing the good guys have to evil. Hellfire, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that part of our class quest line involved Guldan trying to recruit the lot of us. Where do we stand? Where we always have: on our own side. More so than anyone else, we are the most self-serving, devious and backstabbing curs who take no issue in re-evaluating where our priorities lie when opportunity strikes. And could they really blame us? Let me get this straight, Azeroth is left devastated, our leadership in disarray, Guldan (the closest individual to an archetype we have) is alive and well and overseeing the largest demon invasion in Azeroth's history...and we're supposed to side with the mortals...why?

What lies in store for us if we overcome the impossible and drive the demons back? After the invasion has been thwarted, what do you think the survivors' endgame is? Having suffered devastating losses and nearly witnessing the end of civilization, you reckon they're going to be cool with the red-headed stepchild who gets off on playing with demons? Let me tell you what's gonna happen, our cozy little coven will be the first cross-faction approved mana bomb target and Jaina herself is gonna be pushing that button. Only those of us smart enough to look out for themselves will have seen the writing on the wall and be conveniently elsewhere when they drop the bomb.

And you're actually asking me to be the fall guy? No thanks.

With contempt,

Docmort of Stormreaver

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, can't wait for the Warlock coven, if they do it justice we are in for probably the most interesting quest line. Hopefully our close association with the expansion theme earns some focus on establishing interesting lore for the future.
    When Dalaran is ashes, mage, you have my permission to die.

Deleted
    Awesome post really speaks volumes as to what Warlocks represent, and how weird it will be to be a leader.

I can see it working like the Sith Order in Star Wars, where only fear of our power keeps them in line. Hope they don't just ignore the fact Warlocks are for most part very selfish people who seek power regardless of cost, but happen to still hold slight faction loyalty.

I can see a few of the inital warlock quests to hunt down traitors or spies, or devises a ritual to prevent betrayal like Soul Phylacteries (like Dragon Age) where a warlock imparts a part of their soul when joining the order, so they can be tracked down if they betray the Black Harvest.

Imagine if there wasn't even a Warlock coven at all, and it was just you on that portal world alone with a bunch of demons you have enslaved and made contracts with.

10+ Year Old Account
    In warlock community one who is not a leader is a food. Besides, we're going to be in the other world, away from prying eyes anyway. It's not like the whole class order thing is necessarily open free for all information, we might as well not have it exist in mind of outsiders.

Warlocks always operated in the dark, there were always Demon Hunters too, it's not like them becoming playable has any implications on lore, they existed always to begin with. So I don't see any problem with that either.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2015-08-11 at 02:26 AM.

FinAlly our immens Lore Comes to a purpose. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    In warlock community one who is not a leader is a food.
    If we are discarded it shows a failure on our part to make ourselves indispensable to our peers. You need to make sure that you position yourself so everyone would be much worse off without you. A true Warlock is more Machiavellian than he ever is loyal.

Warlocks always operated in the dark, there were always Demon Hunters too, it's not like them becoming playable has any implications on lore, they existed always to begin with. So I don't see any problem with that either.
    It's not that Demon Hunters have never been around before, it's that they have never really ever been aligned with our factions before, and definitely not on such a large scale. If it was only a handful, they would not be able to replace the role we serve so easily, but what we are talking about is the recruitment of an army of Demon Hunters. What exactly do we bring to our respective factions demon-wise that they could now do without?
    When Dalaran is ashes, mage, you have my permission to die.

I'm going to be playing a Demon Hunter and after what was done to my favorite class in WoD I think I may delete my warlock, who I have played since the start, as soon as legion arrives. He finally said fuck it and joined the legion ......

We did have a Warlock order in Lore! The Shadow Council... Which worked out pretty much exactly like you wrote what will happen :P Huge power struggle with everyone backstabbing and betraying everyone; Hell, even Cho'gall couldn't stay loyal to Gul'dan in the end. Goes to show; Warlocks don't work together.
    Aaah, just gimme a bunch of Demon champions instead like Imnick suggested.. I've always wanted an army of Felguard! Observers could make a good council too, they at least seem fairly loyal to their Warlock master given the green fire quest!

15+ Year Old Account
    Council of the Black Harvest seems to be doing fine though.....

What would really interest me is how we would get people to follow us as Warlocks are, as mentioned before, generally outcasts and have a lack of trust towards each other as they all just want power and would even face death himself in order to understand his power......

Really, if the Warlock base does not have some huge imprisoned Pitlord or Eredar Lord where we tap our knowledge and power from there is just no way people would come together that easily. No legendary weapon/artifact would be enough to convince other Warlocks to follow my character normally
    Dawwwwwww

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I..... honestly think this might be one of the best things I've ever read.
    And...that's saying a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

Quote Originally Posted by Docmort View Post
    Let me get this straight, Azeroth is left devastated, our leadership in disarray, Guldan (the closest individual to an archetype we have) is alive and well and overseeing the largest demon invasion in Azeroth's history...and we're supposed to side with the mortals...why?
    Why, indeed?

I've been wondering for years how they would deal with Warlocks come the inevitable Legion invasion.
    Pretty sure the only thing that would keep my Warlock from siding with them is his personal attachment to the Forsaken.
    He's been positioning himself to replace Sylvanus should she ever miss a step.
    Last edited by FecundDecay; 2015-08-11 at 02:37 PM.

Deleted
    I think Blizz have shot themselves in the foot when it comes to this, you can boost yourself to high level content and you'll be walking around with major lore figures fawning over you and acting like you're some God-slaying hero, regardless of what you've actually accomplished. I've no idea if people want this or if it's Blizzard inventing expectations - I know I much preferred it when I was (at least in lore figures eyes), just one of many wandering adventurers. I'd know for myself if that was merely saving farms from their lack of bear asses, or helping down the Lich King.

Seems these days you NEED to be the commander of the entire horde / alliance army. I have no doubt we'll be thrust into being some stupidly larger than life figure in the class garrisons too.

In warlock community one who is not a leader is a food.
    I duno, it seems like Grand Vizier vs King.

There's a pretty huge difference between Grand Vizier and random, dispensable jobber. But hey, when the King dies, is overthrown or otherwise removed, the Grand Vizier might be useful enough to remain and not be the focal point for failings while still wielding plenty of power. Just not being the front figure that gets hanged when things go tits up.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2015-08-11 at 04:07 PM.

This is an absolutely brilliant post. I kinda want this now. That said, if you look at the Shadow Council, it wasn't betrayal to get each other's power, but rather deciding to go off on their own and get it for themselves. I find it hard to believe that my champions, even if I were the guy behind the guy, are going to find sources of incredible power and just say "Guys, look what I found." They'll have it for themselves. This is EXACTLY what happened during WoD. Give me Demons I can control and rely upon, or else it's got to be somebody I have a hold on. I want their soul in a rock around my neck if I'm trusting them to hunt down my next bit of gear and help me get it.

It's a good point. Try to name one warlock hero in the Warcraft universe. Pretty much every other class has one, but warlocks don't. There are perhaps some lore characters we can sympathize with (such as the warlocks from the green fire quest) but I don't know of any we would consider heroes. I feel that the warlocks would side with Gul'dan, if we didn't all have plans on how to leverage the death of Gul'dan to gain more power for ourselves. In fact, the only reason many of us are cooperating with the Alliance or the Horde is because we are patient enough to wait before we strike. I'm not sure any of us want a position of prominence in such an august body of betrayers.

Demon Hunters cannot be trusted, they give themselves to the legion entirely just to get more power. Warlock on another hand just enslave demon and tap on their power just enough without giving themselves to the Legion. We are probably the only Order that can keep Demon Hunters in check and deal with them afterwards.

Besides... imagine what kind of power you would get if you stole a Demon Hunter soul?

We are also experts on Chaos and Shadow magic. Surely our knownledge was handy before with dealing with the legion.
    Last edited by Tread; 2015-08-12 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tread View Post
    Demon Hunters cannot be trusted, they give themselves to the legion entirely just to get more power. Warlock on another hand just enslave demon and tap on their power just enough without giving themselves to the Legion. We are probably the only Order that can keep Demon Hunters in check and deal with them afterwards.
    I kind of made the personal assumption after the Green Fire quest that giving yourself to the Legion would be considered the ultimate sin for Warlocks of our ilk. The only price not worth paying for power. Probably just me though :P

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz0rs View Post
    I kind of made the personal assumption after the Green Fire quest that giving yourself to the Legion would be considered the ultimate sin for Warlocks of our ilk. The only price not worth paying for power. Probably just me though :P
    Align with the Burning Legion? No. Con Sargeras to find some way to depose him and control the Burning Legion ourselves to use for our own devises? Well, that's more of a grey area (i.e. yes, absolutely.)

Quote Originally Posted by gildelicil View Post
    Align with the Burning Legion? No. Con Sargeras to find some way to depose him and control the Burning Legion ourselves to use for our own devises? Well, that's more of a grey area (i.e. yes, absolutely.)
    Agreed, obviously, but never reveal our true intent to the outside world! :P Phrased like this.... Gul'dan, Archimonde or Kil'jaeden would definitely be our hero. Particularly Kil'jaeden. They serve the Legion with the goal of ruling it. A different means to a similar end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they said it'd be 'minions', so (our own?) Demons that we'd be interacting with in our Class Halls? I actually think that's a really cool idea, it offsets that there are zero 'good guy' major Warlock lore characters to fawn over us, and keeps us aside from being in a position of leadership we should never have been put in in the first place in our Garrisons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz0rs View Post
    Agreed, obviously, but never reveal our true intent to the outside world! :P Phrased like this.... Gul'dan, Archimonde or Kil'jaeden would definitely be our hero. Particularly Kil'jaeden. They serve the Legion with the goal of ruling it. A different means to a similar end.
    Why would slaves to Sargeras and the Dreadlords be our heroes? We shouldn't have heroes at all, we're better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I thought they said it'd be 'minions', so (our own?) Demons that we'd be interacting with in our Class Halls? I actually think that's a really cool idea, it offsets that there are zero 'good guy' major Warlock lore characters to fawn over us, and keeps us aside from being in a position of leadership we should never have been put in in the first place in our Garrisons.
    Yep, sounds way more logical, and cooler to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Why would slaves to Sargeras and the Dreadlords be our heroes? We shouldn't have heroes at all, we're better than that.
    After the events at Nordrassil in Warcraft III it seems, to me at least, Archimonde and Kil'jaeden have every intention to wrest control of the Legion from Sargeras' hands permanently. They are definitely in control of the Dreadlords, and I doubt being a slave of Sargeras is their end-game.

With warlocks, unlike Demon hunters, we did not give our souls up to become demons, I like to think some of us are still tethered to something that keeps us in check, maybe its the knowledge or the knowing of certain demonic principles or even something more greater like a reason to be. My main Warlock is a gnome. With all the happened to Gnomes with Gnomergan and their lore still is something of a mystery(and over looked by blizz) it added that needed relationship, I am not just another Warlock, but I am a Warlock with certain values and goals,there is a purpose. I am not one that will be easily nulled by the twisting nether, not by the legion and not by demons. Unlike the Demon Hunters where just at the point of lost hope.They offered themselves for greater power that they did not understand. That is where I think blizz needs to make the identity of the class known. Warlocks are the ones who study and understand the fel and portions of demons, Demon Hunters just do.

Also, that Demon Hunters are new demons for us to control *evil crackle*