7+ Year Old Account

What can I eat to increase my appetite?

Hey everyone, I've posted this question across a few sites and I'm going to try my luck here. I've seen a few body builders around so here's hoping I can get some pro tips.

TL;DR: I need suggestions on foods to help increase my appetite so I can eat even more foods.

I've been bulking for a while now. I am 5'11" and started at 135lbs 14% body fat; now I am approaching 190lbs but I've been fluctuating between 185 and 188lbs 11% bodyfat, I've got a very lean build so i shed fat very fast. My workouts are on point as I work with a personal trainer, but he's only with me in the gym not the kitchen. So I need some advice on how I can get my Calorie count up higher.

The goal is 5000 cals per day, which is attainable through shakes, but I feel very full nearing dinner and even following a workout. To the point that I just can't seem to eat.

I know what meals I need to eat to get this calorie count. But I just can't bring myself to eating more.
    If anyone has any suggestions to help me get a bigger appetite that would be fantastic.

Currently my meals per day look like this (everyday mind you. So maybe I'm just getting bored with my food?)
    Breakfast = liquid egg whites in milk, with 2 oatmeal packets and a 1200 Cal gainer shake
    Snack leading into Lunch = Raisins/Pumpkin seeds (roughly 500 cals)
    Lunch = a bowl of chili or two burgers and a cup and a half of rice or a large potato.
    post lunch snack = Raisins/Pumpkin seeds.
    Workout = 45 - 1:15 depending on the movements/segment of the routine. Rest Pause atm so i am in the gym longer than normal.
    Post workout = Second 1200 cal shake
    Before Bed = Oatmealx2 packets

Now this is what my typical day looks like, however I feel sick coming out of lunch and I don't need any more food until breakfast of the next day. I try and stuff the rest down but it just doesn't stay. So... if again if someone has some advice they can lend me that would be awesome. Thank you.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

What I would recommend is eating as much food that has a high protein to calorie ratio as possible, and that gives you a lot of leeway with the rest of your calories. What kind of macros are you trying to hit? That can have a lot to do with it.

Sometimes, you just have to muscle through it. How much are you trying to weigh?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if it's not staying, that means your stomach is out of room, not that you're unappetized.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Drink some vodka.

7+ Year Old Account
    Liquid egg whites in milk? That sounds disgusting.

Your appetite isn't the problem. Your body type and metabolism can only change so much. Be happy with what you got. Be a Frank Zane instead of a Jay Cutler.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    What I would recommend is eating as much food that has a high protein to calorie ratio as possible, and that gives you a lot of leeway with the rest of your calories. What kind of macros are you trying to hit? That can have a lot to do with it.

Sometimes, you just have to muscle through it. How much are you trying to weigh?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if it's not staying, that means your stomach is out of room, not that you're unappetized.
    The goal weight I'd like to hit would be 210Lbs at the same body weight I have currently. I'm not trying to compete although I am considering it. But I'm not looking to take on any cycles. I'd like to stay off the juice.

In terms of Macros. I've never really understood the term, I at least hit 4k cal per day, 40% Carb 35% proteins 25% fats. If that helps at all. I can't eat a lot in one sitting but I continue to munch throughout the day too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Liquid egg whites in milk? That sounds disgusting.

Your appetite isn't the problem. Your body type and metabolism can only change so much. Be happy with what you got. Be a Frank Zane instead of a Jay Cutler.
    I've forced myself to eat so much disgusting combinations of foods that I don't really taste things anymore.
    Although costco's egg whites come in a carton and you can dump that in some milk without even noticing them which is pretty handy.

I'd like to get bigger. My friends have noticed the difference in how I look but I'm not satisfied with it yet at all. I want to break through this wall genetics has put infront of me lol.

Well, in order to remain at a certain lean muscle mass, you have to eat the correct macros. You can easily gain that weight unhealthily, but it sounds like that's not what you want. If you're hitting the protein macro you want (for 210, that would be 165 - 210g of protein a day), then you may want to focus on quality over quantity. Cheese and bacon are loaded with healthy fats and are also high in calorie, so adding a slice of bacon to your burger or topping your chili with some cheese can help get the calories in you want without increasing the amount of food necessarily.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Few tips I have learned on my bulk, hopefully these will help you.

1. Protein makes you fuller, quicker. If you are already hitting your protein macros, lay off it.
    2. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man hungrier than if he sleeps in all day.
    3. Do 10 minutes cardio before and after the workout, spurs hunger.
    4. Introduce ginger into your diet, increases appetite
    5. Enjoy spicy foods, there is evidence that it speeds metabolism somewhat (although metabolism really can't change by more than 10-20% according to recent studies)
    6. Eat solid foods rather than shakes, cut one of your shakes out and fill it with some complex carbs, beef, and veggies.
    7. ...And the obvious...change up your meals man lol, you will eat more if you look forward to your meals.
    Last edited by Random010203; 2015-08-12 at 02:47 AM. Reason: number 7

Oh, you may also want to check out http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/...-ufc-fighters/

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info.

I now I got to swap out one of my shakes because they aren't absorbed as much as real food. But it's hard to muscle through things as is.
    I'll see about adding some cheese to the chili, and putting in some ginger to ramp my appetite

As for Cardio, curious to know if the calories lost will make the extra meal worth while. I'll try it out. I don't want it to be counter productive though.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Hey everyone, I've posted this question across a few sites and I'm going to try my luck here. I've seen a few body builders around so here's hoping I can get some pro tips.

TL;DR: I need suggestions on foods to help increase my appetite so I can eat even more foods.

I've been bulking for a while now. I am 5'11" and started at 135lbs 14% body fat; now I am approaching 190lbs but I've been fluctuating between 185 and 188lbs 11% bodyfat, I've got a very lean build so i shed fat very fast. My workouts are on point as I work with a personal trainer, but he's only with me in the gym not the kitchen. So I need some advice on how I can get my Calorie count up higher.

The goal is 5000 cals per day, which is attainable through shakes, but I feel very full nearing dinner and even following a workout. To the point that I just can't seem to eat.

I know what meals I need to eat to get this calorie count. But I just can't bring myself to eating more.
    If anyone has any suggestions to help me get a bigger appetite that would be fantastic.

Currently my meals per day look like this (everyday mind you. So maybe I'm just getting bored with my food?)
    Breakfast = liquid egg whites in milk, with 2 oatmeal packets and a 1200 Cal gainer shake
    Snack leading into Lunch = Raisins/Pumpkin seeds (roughly 500 cals)
    Lunch = a bowl of chili or two burgers and a cup and a half of rice or a large potato.
    post lunch snack = Raisins/Pumpkin seeds.
    Workout = 45 - 1:15 depending on the movements/segment of the routine. Rest Pause atm so i am in the gym longer than normal.
    Post workout = Second 1200 cal shake
    Before Bed = Oatmealx2 packets

Now this is what my typical day looks like, however I feel sick coming out of lunch and I don't need any more food until breakfast of the next day. I try and stuff the rest down but it just doesn't stay. So... if again if someone has some advice they can lend me that would be awesome. Thank you.
    I'm sorry but you did not go from 5'11" 135lbs 14% to 188lbs @ 11% while bulking for awhile. Thats over 50lb of lean mass if you didnt gain ANY bodyfat, which is not possible if all you have done if bulk for awhile.

As for your question. Eat more calorie dense foods. Ex. Stop eating just the egg whites

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

He actually doesn't want a ton of protein. He needs AT MOST 188g a day. Protein is the most satiating and thermogenic macro so you may want to steer clear of adding more if you cant stomach all the food as is.

- - - Updated - - -

lol that is fkn hilarious. Please tell me you do not believe this. This guy thinks he's 6% and 7% BF in the pictures. Wow, not even close.

And he recommends IF for gaining mass. That is probably the worst possible way of eating to gain lean mass.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info.

I now I got to swap out one of my shakes because they aren't absorbed as much as real food. But it's hard to muscle through things as is.
    I'll see about adding some cheese to the chili, and putting in some ginger to ramp my appetite

As for Cardio, curious to know if the calories lost will make the extra meal worth while. I'll try it out. I don't want it to be counter productive though.
    You dont have to swap out a shake because "they arent absorbed as much as real food." That is fkn ridiculous.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-08-12 at 05:41 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    thanks for your deep insight and great contributions to this thread. /s

I am me, I've seen the scales and the body mass reports. I've also been going through the diet and the workouts. If I'm a fluke case, then I am a fluke case but what has happened has happened.

I don't have all the reports handy but here's the two BMI printouts, one a month in and one from a month ago.
    As well as a picture of me before starting and a recent picture of me from a month ago. the body fat has gone up in the reports but recently it's dropped down to below where I've started.

Edit: Images aren't showing up... But I wouldn't lie. I'm looking for help not attention.
    Last edited by dixincide; 2015-08-12 at 06:07 PM.

thanks for your deep insight and great contributions to this thread. /s

I am me, I've seen the scales and the body mass reports. I've also been going through the diet and the workouts. If I'm a fluke case, then I am a fluke case but what has happened has happened.

I don't have all the reports handy but here's the two BMI printouts, one a month in and one from a month ago.
    As well as a picture of me before starting and a recent picture of me from a month ago. the body fat has gone up in the reports but recently it's dropped down to below where I've started.

Edit: Images aren't showing up... But I wouldn't lie. I'm looking for help not attention.
    I'm not trying to say you're lying. You just might be using faulty information.

BMI is terrible to use. Body Impedance is the most inaccurate way to measure body comp.

It is physiologically impossible to gain 50lb of lean mass in one run while not gaining any amount of bodyfat.

How long have you been "bulking" and have you been in a surplus the entire time?

As for contributing to this thread, I gave you the advice you asked for while pointing out the stupid b*llshit some other people posted so you don't have to dig through the mess.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-08-12 at 07:07 PM.

5'11" and you want to be 210 lbs? My lord..

I'm 6'7" and 220lb, trying to drop to 210-215.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you wake up, drink 2 glasses of water and you will notice a huge difference.

tuna fish on crackers makes me hungry....

You may want to visit this site for more information.

You can't increase your appetite if your protein consumption is ridiculously high. Bodybuilding food naturally makes me fuller because they are so nutritious.

So i made an account just to reply to this.
    Just to give you an idea im not some idiot with no clue - 6'0, 108kg uhh 238? lbs, training 6+ years, 20' arms no pump

TLDR

- Lose the shakes, have real food instead
    - Increase your Good fats (Avocado, Olive Oil, Tuna)
    - Instead of 3 meals with snacks, have 5-8 slightly smaller meals every 2-3 hours.

5k cals is alot, are you extremely active? or your cals are added up wrong.. but in any case, fuck the shake off.. i got my best gains when i stopped taking all the fancy supps, stick to WPC after workout and creatine. Spend the rest of your money on quality food. pumpkin seed is bird feed, fuck that off. Use real eggs WITH the yolk over egg whites, 2-3 whole eggs with liquid egg white if need be.
    youre eating almost no fats, if you struggle to eat then buy olive oil and pour it on every meal, people under value good fats, fat is needed for testosterone to be 'absorbed'. more test = more gains
    youre having 3 meals with snacks in between, this needs to change into MINIMUM 5 proper meals, 2-3 hours apart. Preferably 6-8 meals.