Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warlock Lore Heroes

Anyone else wish that after 10 years of wow warlocks would have a decent warlock leader/hero in-game? Every warlock character that's been introduced has been comic book villain evil. In-game we live on fringes and try to bend legion forces to our will for greater power, but no in-game lore character has ever represented us in a positive light.

Thoughts?

Warlocks aren't exactly based in the story as being good guys. They're pretty shady overall.

As far as major characters that are warlocks:

Gul'dan (duh)
    Nerzhul
    Tichondrius

Medihv (Sort Of)

And the best of all of them...

WILFRED FIZZLEBANG! MASTER SUMMONER!

Ner'zhul was always a shaman. He technically never converted into a Warlock.

Tichondrius is a Nathrezim, so I don't think he really counts. He's a demon using demon magic.

There is Ebonlocke though. Or was...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

The real question is why should warlock hero be represented in positive light? I'm perfectly fine with warlocks being represented as sinister and cunning antiheroes in search for more power no matter the cost.

Milhouse Manastorm would have been the perfect archetype for that, if he weren't a Mage...

Field Marshal Chad Bro Chill 17's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post

Tichondrius is a Nathrezim, so I don't think he really counts. He's a demon using demon magic.

No, "is" was correct. He is still around, just kept permabanished in Shadowmoon Valley.
    "The Light that guides us. This movement was set in motion before you came... We... We do as we are told. It is what must be done."

It woulnd't surprise me they use Kanrethad for it though, it's pretty much the only one they can use + they can fix story around it to purify him of his meta form to show that metamorphosis isn't worth it for warlocks (see where i'm going with this.. ^^)
    made by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Jubeka Shadowbreaker needs more airtime, she is pretty much the only one.

Maybe in alternate WoD, but in our universe he was the guy first learning the fel magics and teaching others when their connection to the elements were cut off. Gul'dan learned from him initially before betraying him and learning more from the legion, he wasn't taught directly by the legion like in alternate land.

But yeah, PC aside there's no "good" warlocks really in lore. Or good ones that count. You get minor weirdos like Fizzlebang, but that's really it. In lore, Locks are still largely shunned anyways, though it's not like arcane magic is that much more "good" as most magic schools besides nature is corrupting in of itself. Fel is just more evil somehow.

The other 4 member of the Black Harvest Council would be a great start. I really want to know what they learned in the time Jubeka was busy banishing the other guy. Maybe Wilfred got banished there. We do have lore heroes, most are just hero villans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Yes! I liked her cautious nature during that quest. She definitely sought to avoid getting corrupted at all costs, even more so than seeking power and knowledge.
    I guess the rest of the Council of the Black Harvest could be considered good too (Ritssyn, Shinfel and Zinnin, I don't think Zelfrax has much of a mind left). Not goody-two-shoes, but they definitely fight in Azeroth's best interest, risking everything to fight Deathwing, Cho'gall etc.

To me, Jubeka Shadowcaller in particular is kind of an inspiration. Interested in the demonic arts, dedicated to bend them to her will and prioritizing enough restraint to avoid corrupted. What point is there in fighting fire with fire if you join the side you hate? We seek the power of the Legion, but, in my eyes, do not share a common goal with them in any way.
    Last edited by Duckz0rs; 2015-08-13 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Maybe in alternate WoD, but in our universe he was the guy first learning the fel magics and teaching others when their connection to the elements were cut off. Gul'dan learned from him initially before betraying him and learning more from the legion, he wasn't taught directly by the legion like in alternate land.
    Ner'zhul wasn't a warlock though, he's still a shaman and always will be. War2 manual, War3 manual and WoW all refer to him as a Shaman in all pre-Lich King sources. Having used Fel magic isn't the definition of a Warlock, else all Blood Elves and Orc magic users would be considered Warlocks.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2015-08-13 at 08:00 AM.

Kil'jaeden and Archimonde are technically warlocks.

We should get an Eredari warlock that has switched sides, like Oronok Torn-Heart. Shunned by Draenei, but welcomed by those that would use any means necessary to fight the legion.

It's quite odd they haven't done the bad-guy-repentance story trope yet. No one from the Burning Legion has ever defected.

Also: Guys, the Karenthad and Green Fel-fire quest was done by Xelnath, who got fired. Every one involved with that was his project and he isn't around anymore. They won't be getting attention.
    Last edited by laughtrey; 2015-08-13 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    Kil'jaeden and Archimonde are technically warlocks.

We should get an Eredari warlock that has switched sides, like Oronok Torn-Heart. Shunned by Draenei, but welcomed by those that would use any means necessary to fight the legion.

It's quite odd they haven't done the bad-guy-repentance story trope yet. No one from the Burning Legion has ever defected.
    Ner'zhul kind of had a change of heart like that somewhere around the first and second wars, which is why Gul'dan, his apprentice, took over command. He sought to control the power of the Legion and serve them, until he found out about the corruptive power of Fel magic, and the influence it had on the elements, the spirits and the world around him. His punishment for this betrayal was eternal torture until Kil'jaeden decided he'd be more useful as the Lich King.
    Of course, he never truly became a Warlock and remained a Shaman, but that is the closest case of betraying the Legion along with Oronok Torn-heart in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    The real question is why should warlock hero be represented in positive light? I'm perfectly fine with warlocks being represented as sinister and cunning antiheroes in search for more power no matter the cost.
    The issue is that we don't get antiheroes either. We're villains, pure and simple. I'd love to see some representation of a legitimate antihero, an Illidan type character, who does what he does to defeat the evils in this world and try to matter, no matter what the cost. Instead all warlocks seem to serve the legion. As much as it makes sense to be completely evil, I'd like to see someone who legitimately uses their Warlock powers for good, though I can imagine it would be difficult to pull off without the character just being Illidan in War of the Ancients.

I never even thought about that. Who is going to be in our class hall?

To be honest, as little sense as it makes, I kinda hope Gul'dan goes full demon and ends up in the twisting nether at our class hall after we kill him in the raid. It'd be pretty interesting to have a major villain be part of our hall to really cement the whole "warlocks are evil" thing, since we sorely lack any kind of class identity these days. Especially after a second demon/fel themed class is added.

I'm sure it's going to be the randoms from the green fire quest though.
    Last edited by Tya; 2015-08-13 at 12:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    The issue is that we don't get antiheroes either. We're villains, pure and simple. I'd love to see some representation of a legitimate antihero, an Illidan type character, who does what he does to defeat the evils in this world and try to matter, no matter what the cost. Instead all warlocks seem to serve the legion. As much as it makes sense to be completely evil, I'd like to see someone who legitimately uses their Warlock powers for good, though I can imagine it would be difficult to pull off without the character just being Illidan in War of the Ancients.
    Do the green fire quest, there's reference to a bunch of them. Why does it always have to keep coming back to fucking Illidan, anyway? The Warlock/DH ambiguity is now dead. This is why we need more prominent class Heroes.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatsuno View Post
    Warlocks aren't exactly based in the story as being good guys. They're pretty shady overall.

As far as major characters that are warlocks:

Gul'dan (duh)
    Nerzhul
    Tichondrius

Medihv (Sort Of)

And the best of all of them...

WILFRED FIZZLEBANG! MASTER SUMMONER!
    ner'zul?!?!?!?! tichondrius?! are you alright ? ner'zul is shaman rofl

- - - Updated - - -

well archimonde is warlock actualy!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Maybe she'll be our hero for Demonology?

Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    Also: Guys, the Karenthad and Green Fel-fire quest was done by Xelnath, who got fired. Every one involved with that was his project and he isn't around anymore. They won't be getting attention.
    I don't think that they couldn't use any feature that Xelnath designed to put on MoP, in the Legion. The Green Fire quest is incomplete from what he was proposing to put.

They said that our Class Order is a Portal Legion world. Thinking of a legion portal world, all I can see is the Warlock Island.

Check Youtube and Wowpedia for Warlock Island, I can't put links here.
    Last edited by Kyoda; 2015-08-13 at 01:02 PM.

I agree regarding us needing more prominent class heroes, but what Illidan did is so much what hero warlocks are all about: seeking more and more power for the right reasons. He's definitely the closest we have.

Green fire's a good point. That said there's so little information on any of them apart from Jubeka as far as I remember. I'd like to see something more from them, but I also wouldn't mind seeing someone completely new. Or perhaps some more on Oronok Torn-Heart? I can imagine he'd be eager to help us against Gul'dan and the Legion.