Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well actually it does matter, your point is ridiculous, and it has nothing to with with the OP, not comparing a fucking Video game where you go to war with fictional monster to a PBS kid show, designed to help children learn.
    They get 35 episodes instead of 0 and can now develop more none-HBO exclusive content.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, I actually give a shit about things that matter that don't have dollar sign attached to it.
    They remain none profit, but will be able to deliver more content.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, they should have gone out of business instead of airing episodes 9 months later... Good call...
    Yep, because that was the call, because You imagine it is, Sesame Street has never been in danger of losing funding for its 60 mins show, now it's other business ventures maybe, but those were in addition to the 60min show they produced.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Well actually it does matter, your point is ridiculous, and it has nothing to with with the OP, not comparing a fucking Video game where you go to war with fictional monster to a PBS kid show, designed to help children learn.
    Only about 1/3 of Sesame street viewers watch it on PBS, so most kids won't be affected by it. Also the money they will make off the HBO deal will mean they can make more episodes than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    They get 35 episodes instead of 0 and can now develop more none-HBO exclusive content.
    - - - Updated - - -
    They remain none profit, but will be able to deliver more content.
    Again that is a disingenuous premise that the choice was between selling out to HBO, or going out of business after 45 years. I reject that premise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, because that was the call, because You imagine it is, Sesame Street has never been in danger of losing funding for its 60 mins show, now it's other business ventures maybe, but those were in addition to the 60min show they produced.
    They are none-profit, this deal does not change that and your very article states they were cash strapped, meaning they were lacking funding. Most likely due to toys being replaced by other media...

- - - Updated - - -

Again that is a disingenuous premise that the choice was between selling out to HBO, or going out of business after 45 years. I reject that premise.
    The fact that you reject it is meaningless, unless you are willing to fund it your self. Money has to come from somewhere and you are litteraly complaining that a none-profit got funding. Your rejection is fucked up...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Only about 1/3 of Sesame street viewers watch it on PBS, so most kids won't be affected by it. Also the money they will make off the HBO deal will mean they can make more episodes than before.
    They will even get to see more episodes and get new content that is not exclusive to HBO, due to this funding. This is an overwhelming positive for those who watch PBS.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, because I do have HBO, and I have always supported PBS, and Sesame Street. But not after this, I will continue to buy HBO for reasons other than Sesame Street, and Support PBS, what I won't do is eve support Sesame Street, or any other productions company's on it that go for the money grab like this over substance.

Because Sesame Street sold out, it went from producing shows to help teach kids things like the counting, to counting dollar bills.

They are getting almost double the number of new episodes a years so they may see them 9 months later but they will end up seeing less reruns.

Really not getting the issue. Sesame Street is still airing on PBS. My 10 year old brother obviously does not watch the show anymore but when he did, they were pretty much reruns. And that was fine. They were new for my brother, they were always different and I'm guessing he learned a thing or two from the show.

Are you always like this when smart business deals are made? Sesame Street will probably use the finances to improve the quality of the show and HBO is adding more reasons for consumers to subscribe. My only wish is for HBO to go completely as and independent streaming service. Unfortunately, Time Warner would not want to compete with itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, because I do have HBO, and I have always supported PBS, and Sesame Street. But not after this, I will continue to buy HBO for reasons other than Sesame Street, and Support PBS, what I won't do is eve support Sesame Street, or any other productions company's on it that go for the money grab like this over substance.

Because Sesame Street sold out, it went from producing shows to help teach kids things like the counting, to counting dollar bills.
    Ok? If you are still paying for HBO and pay your taxes then you are indeed supporting Sesame Street.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    How exactly does a none-profit sell out? They are making 0 profits on this.

Positive:
    PBS gets more episodes.
    PBS gets new content, outside of Sesame Street.

Negative:
    9 month delay on only new Sesame Street episodes.

What's your breakdown?

10+ Year Old Account
    They are none-profit, this deal does not change that and your very article states they were cash strapped, meaning they were lacking funding. Most likely due to toys being replaced by other media...

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that you reject it is meaningless, unless you are willing to fund it your self. Money has to come from somewhere and you are litteraly complaining that a none-profit got funding. Your rejection is fucked up...

- - - Updated - - -

They will even get to see more episodes and get new content that is not exclusive to HBO, due to this funding. This is an overwhelming positive for those who watch PBS.

Not sure if you understand how Public Funding works on PBS, or that their Sesame Street Workshops other productions are an additional investment on their product on top of everything else.

They had funding before any of their other business ventures were realized, and would still likely have it going ahead, but hey, I look Forward to shows like NATURE or NOVA, or FRONTLINE following the same idea, hell Fuck Public funded anything, and when people bitch about Mass Media influence, hope everybody remembers this shit and making jokes about GoTs shit while a huge influence on children for near half a century, sold out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you understand how Public Funding works on PBS, or that their Sesame Street Workshops other productions are an additional investment on their product on top of everything else.

They had funding before any of their other business ventures were realized, and would still likely have it going ahead, but hey, I look Forward to shows like NATURE or NOVA, or FRONTLINE following the same idea, hell Fuck Public funded anything, and when people bitch about Mass Media influence, hope everybody remembers this shit and making jokes about GoTs shit while a huge influence on children for near half a century, sold out.
    Nobody cares about PBS.... back when I actually watched the channel the only thing that was on when I was going to school was some lady doing Yoga..... so i normally just switched over to history channel to see there little 15min minisodes

10+ Year Old Account

Just to get things straight.... do you believe that the shareholders of a non-profit company directly financially benefit from this endeavor?

10+ Year Old Account
    How exactly does a none-profit sell out? They are making 0 profits on this.

Positive:
    PBS gets more episodes.
    PBS gets new content, outside of Sesame Street.

Negative:
    9 month delay on only new Sesame Street episodes.

What's your breakdown?

Negative
    PBS Gets less more Episodes, cut down to 30mins
    PBS Becomes weaker as an entity that for the most part supported Sesame Street
    Kids who Sesame Street started off to mainly educated, are put on the back burner 9 months for those that can afford HBO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody cares about PBS.... back when I actually watched the channel the only thing that was on when I was going to school was some lady doing Yoga..... so i normally just switched over to history channel to see there little 15min minisodes
    Oooo, was it on Hitler, or aliens? Or was it Nazi aliens?

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, and now they have MORE Funding, to do MORE episodes, the only one that has a problem with this is you. Literally, you are the only person in the whole world that has a problem with this.

Negative
    PBS Gets less more Episodes, cut down to 30mins
    PBS Becomes weaker as an entity that for the most part supported Sesame Street
    Kids who Sesame Street started off to mainly educated, are put on the back burner 9 months for those that can afford HBO.
    Will a child know if they are reruns? Will they be anticipating the next episode? Doubt it unless the parent reminds them.

We are talking like 2-5 years old here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Oooo, was it on Hitler, or aliens? Or was it Nazi aliens?
    Naw this was back before aliens and shit, normally it was ancient history kind of stuff like how Vikings didn't actually have wings on their helmet,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Just to get things straight.... do you believe that the shareholders of a non-profit company directly financially benefit from this endeavor?
    I am saying that point is irrelevant in any context of this discussion, This isn't about a private verses Public Company issue, this is about A single TV program being sold, and it's audience kids being sold out for the almighty dollar. Sesame Streets production is secure, it's business ventures like toys are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Will a child know if they are reruns? Will they be anticipating the next episode? Doubt it unless the parent reminds them.

We are talking like 2-5 years old here.
    No, but Kids grow up, some unlike most will look up the history, and like all kids they will be products of their environment and all the message being sent to them about who they are, and what their experiences would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am saying that point is irrelevant in any context of this discussion, This isn't about a private verses Public Company issue, this is about A single TV program being sold, and it's audience kids being sold out for the almighty dollar. Sesame Streets production is secure, it's business ventures like toys are not.
    No. You said that they sold out for the money. I'm asking you straight out if you really believe that the people who made this decision actually financially benefit from this endeavor.