Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Dry towels insulate, wet towels do not.
    1. It doesn't need to be a towel, it can be any piece of cloth. It can be gardening equipment for all i care if it gets the job done.
    2. You are not required to hold it so long that wet towel gets as hot. Wet towel should work too.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    when some1 ringing your door and offering you something - it will usually end bad. Use companies with reputation etc . Dont take services from shit knows who next time

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Dry towels insulate, wet towels do not.
    Wet towel is better than no towel, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never trust repairmen that just come to your door. Always call a place yourself.

In hindsight, yes, there are things you could have done better. I'll add that when doing home repairs it's a good idea to contact several firms of different backgrounds to gauge costs.

Independent of your distrust for the police, you should probably go there and request help. They may inform you of similar cases and offer guidance. Going to the police doesn't equate with filing a complaint; they will guide you to decide if you should or should not.
    In parallel, I'd suggest you contact with some more professional firm, and gauge what this repair would have costed anyway. I think it's fair to assume 50€ is too low, and possibly what led you to have them do the repair. That may offer you insight into what are your actual loses beyond your dignity (the feeling that you've been gamed).

Other than that, I don't think I can offer much more than sympathy. This things do happen more often than we think: because we're generally silent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtin View Post
    when some1 ringing your door and offering you something - it will usually end bad. Use companies with reputation etc . Dont take services from shit knows who next time
    I actually read about these kind of groups a couple years ago. Same deal, they go door to door to offer cheap repairs, but then break more stuff and ask you to pay them for this. And then they run off with the money, without doing said repairs.

Accepting their offer was wrong to begin with, always work with reputable companies.

Deleted
    Irish/English crews is often traveling around in Denmark and scamming people like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    So some random repairman walks up to your door and offers you his services, you don't sign anything, then let two more repairmen come into your house, you let them tear up your roof even more, and then charge you a 1000% premium over what you agreed to...

What the funk?

Deleted
    Thank you all with replies, even the jerky ones. I just went to the police, they said I could talk and file a complaint on Monday (as it's saturday and a holyday, Saint Maria here today so they are working at small numbers). I will probably write them on their site today and go there Monday as well.

That being said, yes, I did learn my lesson. I never had any experience with these things so did not expect something like this happening. I just assumed that for small fixes like this you don't need an evaluation. I was wrong and I realize now.

Also, to reply to some of you, my insurance doesn't cover things related to age like this issue. I know how to fix pipes and electrical stuff, just am kind of afraid of the height. Due to how the house is, I could not see that he had removed some tiles that were not in the original request. After I realized, it was too late and from when I asked why he's removing those, he only removed 2 more tiles, the actual damaged ones.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2015-08-15 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never use someone who is going around spreading flyers. You're asking for trouble.

I've been a roofer for 10 years, could you take a picture of the damage they caused?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    well all workers (i mean their boses who send these workers) are teaching them to do such things...its a modern capitalistic version when u never sign something for a small price. there will be always something. it couldent cost 50 euro, they arent allowed also to ruin something and then ask 800 euro.. mfers. i would send a hitman if i could. funny things that everyone do like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do never ever pay in case of a disagreement, period.
    If a dispute, then let them do the next move.
    When you pay, you somehow agreed to the deal. And then it becomes very hard to win the case anymore.

And as for the description of that happened.
    It is absolutely not your responsibility to accept such upcharges because of safety reasons. It is the contractors responsibility to be equipped with the proper tools for the job, ladders, harnesses etc etc.. If they don't have those, and they'd have to extent the surface they're working on, then it's up to them to eat the extra labor AND materials.

And on a side note......
    All those idiotic generalized comments about contractors blabla..
    Every business has it's black sheep. But those are a fucking small minority.
    The key to a successful and profitable business is to have a good reputation.
    And that's what the majority of businesses does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    My father has a company like that. The employees are instructed to charge for extra things that never got used or they didn't have to do. Exploitative small businesses are very profitable especially if you target inexperienced young adults or elderly people. Everything completely legal.
    No it is not legal.

By law you're bound to stick with the estimate, and a change cannot exceed a certain percentage.
    In case of unforeseen events due to hidden damages, the estimate becomes subject to re-adjustments. Means you must talk to the customer, and have them agree, or refuse.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need work done get free consults first from several people, even if it's off the record.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can guarantee you that if you try to take in your car for repairs, they'll try to charge for things they won't need to do either.
    I can guarantee you that if you hire a gardener, he'll try to charge for things he doesn't need to do either, or for using tools he didn't need.
    I can guarantee you that if you hire a cab, it's very possible the driver will take detours to drive up the cost of the ride a little bit more.
    Scamming is illegal
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

When I was younger I was scammed way worse. I ended up being part of a Pyramid Scheme and ended up losing $10k. It still hurts to think about it!

15+ Year Old Account
    Wether it's 'fully' legal? No idea, seems to be the practice has been going for a few years now without much issue though. But it was fully created with the intent of overcharging and exploiting 'weak' customers.
    The practice has probably existed since dawn of mankind and has been illegal ever since there have been written laws.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pointless to call something illegal which can't be proven.
    Aright, unsolved murders are not murders. Move along, family of the deceased.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was talking about the small business my father created on the side to make extra money. I know how it operates because he always loves to talk with great enthousiasm and joy about how many people he scammed lately at family diners.
    Some father figure you have there.

I was talking about the small business my father created on the side to make extra money. I know how it operates because he always loves to talk with great enthousiasm and joy about how many people he scammed lately at family diners.
    ... That's disgusting. I work in my dad's company, third generation and we don't do this kind of shit, ever.