Thread: New HTPC Build

10+ Year Old Account

New HTPC Build

Ah, the joys of life ... just went out and got a projector, a new receiver, and new speakers to create my own little home theater and less than a week into the old laptop I've been using as an HTPC craps out. Because of said purchases and the increased wife aggro that came with them, I need to keep this as inexpensive as I can. But my needs really aren't that great, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Budget: $500 max - really I'd like to be $400-ish or less.

I don't need peripherals or an OS, and I have no re-usable parts.

My needs for it aren't all that demanding - I run Kodi off of it in my home theater, and its a plex server for the rest of the house along with 2 family members. The transcoding from server to plex clients like phones/tablets/Roku is really the most demanding part. I'd like to be able to run at least 2 concurrent 1080p streams, which according to my research (plex forums/wiki) a rough estimate of the CPU power needed would be about 2k passmark per stream. I started looking at CPU's around a 4k passmark score, various types of i3's but the AMD I've got in my current list seemed like a very good deal for the price vs power. I wouldn't mind dropping down to a less powerful CPU if the value was there or I'm just overestimating what I need.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vn8kt6

The look of the case doesn't matter as its going to be enclosed in a cabinet anyway. My plan (the cabinet hasn't been delivered yet) is to have most/all of the back of the cabinet open to help with airflow.

My knowledge of computers and what I do/don't need is limited, so any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Small bump to include some other info: I have an SSD already that I can use, but I've been starting to run low on storage anyway, which is why the 4TB WD Green is in the build above. Also, I wanted to keep it full ATX as I plan on re-using parts from my gaming computer as I upgrade them later on.

An idea to think about is getting a used Mac Mini. You dont need to run OSX on it - you can install Windows or Linux of your choice extremely easily.

If you look for a used "2011" or "2012" model "server" Mini they come with full-up Quad-core i7s in them. You can usually find them for 350-500$ on craigslist. (i have purchased... six or seven in the last year or so for clients, they are extremely popular with DJs) They have HDMI out, SPDIF out, Thunderbolt, loads of USB ports, and they are tiny (the size of a few stacked CD jewel cases). They support up to 16GB of DDR3 (1333 in the "2011" model and 1600 in the "2012" models).

Only issue is that they dont have great internal storage (the "server" models will fit 2 2.5" drives), but that is easily solved with an external HDD enclose or a NAS.

I use a slightly older Mini (the last one that had a DVD drive in it - 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo) for my media center and it is a champ.

I use it with the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Bluetooth Trackpad (there's a company that sells a frame to join them into one unit) and its pretty great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    An idea to think about is getting a used Mac Mini. You dont need to run OSX on it - you can install Windows or Linux of your choice extremely easily.

If you look for a used "2011" or "2012" model "server" Mini they come with full-up Quad-core i7s in them. You can usually find them for 350-500$ on craigslist. (i have purchased... six or seven in the last year or so for clients, they are extremely popular with DJs) They have HDMI out, SPDIF out, Thunderbolt, loads of USB ports, and they are tiny (the size of a few stacked CD jewel cases). They support up to 16GB of DDR3 (1333 in the "2011" model and 1600 in the "2012" models).

Only issue is that they dont have great internal storage (the "server" models will fit 2 2.5" drives), but that is easily solved with an external HDD enclose or a NAS.

I use a slightly older Mini (the last one that had a DVD drive in it - 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo) for my media center and it is a champ.

I use it with the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Bluetooth Trackpad (there's a company that sells a frame to join them into one unit) and its pretty great.
    That sounds like a terrible Idea. Those things mostly use low powered laptop cpu's and they would likely get toasty and or obnoxiously loud while transcoding several streams for plex users at once. Also most of the listings (at least here) don't even tell if it's a quad core let alone the model number of said processor making it extremely hard to find out if it's fast enough for the ops needs.

@op Your build is mostly fine. The only thing I would change is the psu. (something like a 300-350w model from seasonic) and maybe a cheaper case to allow for adding a ssd to the build. (I wouldn't run an operating system on a green drive.)

Deleted
    out of curiosity what Speakers and AV reciver did you go for ?
    Looking at building a home cinema system myself using a Denon reciver, and boston acoustics speakers.

I just ordered a second Zotac Zbox for use as a HTPC. I have a Zbox BI320 that I have been using on my 58' TV that works great. I ordered a newer CI320 since it has WiFi and Bluetooth to be used in my bedroom for streaming. I am also running Kodi on both of these boxes. Well will be running it once I get the new one. If you take a look at the Kodi forums too there are a couple big threads on both of these boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    That sounds like a terrible Idea. Those things mostly use low powered laptop cpu's
    The older 2011 Server runs an I7-2635QM @ 2.0Ghz - CPU Bench 5611 (putting it in the ballpark of modern full-up desktop i5s and beating AMDs offerings until you get into 8-core chips)

The 2012 Server runs an I7-3720QM @ 2.6Ghz - CPU Bench 8271 (putting it on par with modern low-end desktop i7s and Xeons)

and they would likely get toasty and or obnoxiously loud while transcoding several streams for plex users at once.
    I use a 2011 Server Mini as my daily driver (typing this post on it right now); even when im transcoding video or doing a render for a Youtube upload, and the fans kick on because im maxing out the CPU, its barely audible and it sits less than 3 feet from me.

Also most of the listings (at least here) don't even tell if it's a quad core let alone the model number of said processor making it extremely hard to find out if it's fast enough for the ops needs.
    If you're buying off of Craigslist and AREN'T asking them to send you the serial # (so you can check if it is stolen), you're a fool. With the serial number you can go to Everymac.com and look up exactly what machine it is. Also, if it is listed as the "server" model - its a quad-core i7. The server models didnt ship with anything else.

@op Your build is mostly fine. The only thing I would change is the psu. (something like a 300-350w model from seasonic) and maybe a cheaper case to allow for adding a ssd to the build. (I wouldn't run an operating system on a green drive.)
    If you think the Mini wouldnt be powerful enough to transcode multiple Plex streams... why would you believe that the FX-6300 would fare any better (it benches at just slightly faster than the 2.0Ghz i7 in the 2011 mini, and *significantly* slower than the 2012 Mini)?

I'm not saying its the "best" solution - merely "A" solution. One that i've used successfully for years with various models of Mini, is cheap, pre-built, tiny, and has everything you need to get going.

And honstly, Plex transcoding is not all that power consuming - my QNAP NAS that is powered by a Snapdragon variant can transcode 2-3 streams with no problems.

Have you considered a Intel G3258? They are around 4k passmark stock but they OC like NUTS even on stock cooling. They will run you 50$ at MC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. I’ve tweaked things a little bit – I hadn’t looked at MC’s cpu/mobo combos so I can get a mobo to go with that processor for $5 more than the cost of the processor itself. I went cheaper on the case as well by going with NZXT 210. There didn’t seem to be a reason to pay more for a case and I like the plain front look of the 210. But if there are reasons that I should spend more please let me know. I dropped to a 3TB HDD as I’ve just finished filling a 4TB and also have a 2TB external I can use, so that should all last me for some time.

Here’s my new list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NyVVzy

I appreciate the suggestions for a Mac Mini or a Zbox. I’ve seen/read about plenty of people running Plex servers or HTPCs from their mini’s so its definitely an option. Zbox’s or Intel NUCs can work fairly well too and I had considered going that route. But I decided to build something else for a couple of reasons: I’d like to consolidate my storage/server into one computer, since with the laptop I’ve been adding HDDs to my gaming computer and network sharing them. Works fine, but means both computers have to be on all the time. I could go the NAS route but I use online backup and from what I’ve read that doesn’t always work well with NAS enclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I do have an SSD that I’ll be repurposing for the OS. I had looked at other PSU’s but I’ve used non-modular before and found them to be a big pain, so in looking at semi-modular I couldn’t find anything comparable to that Corsair being $35 (after rebate). Its more power than needed, but it will also be useful when I do move the cpu/gpu from my gaming computer to this build in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    out of curiosity what Speakers and AV reciver did you go for ?
    Looking at building a home cinema system myself using a Denon reciver, and boston acoustics speakers.
    I’m not an audiophile and didn’t shell out for really decent equipment but it was all a big upgrade over the crappy speakers and receiver that came with my Sony TV like 5+ years ago lol. I got the Energy 5.1 speakers/sub, an Onkyo NR636 receiver, and a BenQ W1070 projector.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinist View Post
    Have you considered a Intel G3258? They are around 4k passmark stock but they OC like NUTS even on stock cooling. They will run you 50$ at MC.
    That is a good option, I hadn’t noticed that. With a mobo it would be about the same as the AMD/mobo but it has an igpu so that cost would go away. I’m leaning towards the trade-off of the higher cost is worth it, but I’ll have to think about it. I’ll be away this weekend and probably buying stuff early next week so I’ve got a few days to consider. Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    And honstly, Plex transcoding is not all that power consuming - my QNAP NAS that is powered by a Snapdragon variant can transcode 2-3 streams with no problems.
    I do think that the Mini’s are a very viable option, just not for me for reasons other than performance as mentioned above. The 2k passmark per 1080p stream recommended by Plex may very well be overestimating what is needed but I’d be very surprised if your QNAP is transcoding multiple 1080p streams of larger HD or Blu Ray files.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    hat is a good option, I hadn’t noticed that. With a mobo it would be about the same as the AMD/mobo but it has an igpu so that cost would go away. I’m leaning towards the trade-off of the higher cost is worth it, but I’ll have to think about it. I’ll be away this weekend and probably buying stuff early next week so I’ve got a few days to consider. Thanks for mentioning it.
    Since i see you're shopping at Microcenter..

they have a deal on the Pentium G3258 + H97 Anniversary motherboard for 99$. (at least they did last week).

It's in-store only, but so is the pricing on that FX-6300, so i assume you have one near you.