Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Georgia: Bastion of education

http://cobblab.blogspot.com/2015/08/...-10-crowd.html

FTA
    My 8-yr-old daughter brought home her first science textbook from school yesterday, thrilled to show it off and slowly peruse its many full-color images. She knew she'd have a rapt audience in her scientist mom. Without thinking, I flipped to the table of contents and scanned the "Earth Science" section for any mention of climate change. Nothing.
    Seems stereotypical on the surface, but is a genuine problem if public educators are not teaching this stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you expect? Half the south doesn't believe in climate change.
    Putin khuliyo

Its ok, I went to school in Georgia, we never got to the halfway point in any text book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overreaction. First, the whole debate is fairly recent, and school textbooks are updated every couple hundred millennium. Second, it doesn't matter, because textbooks don't cover EVERYTHING. Putting a topic like that in there is just asking for much more bullshit than a parent going "huh".

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Its ok, I went to school in Georgia, we never got to the halfway point in any text book.
    K-12 textbooks are generally fucking worthless anyway. My physics teacher instructed us to forget about our textbook until the end of the year when we had to return them. I flipped through it, and it was a glorified picture book.

Luckily, teachers everywhere have this option. If a textbook denying evolution was ever published, the teachers could just put it in a corner to collect dust.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2015-08-17 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Its probably because the book is outdated.

Deleted
    Well, how old was that book, though? All of mine also have no mention of climate change, but that is less because of a political agenda and more because of the fact that they were just fucking old, written before it really was on anyone's radar as that big thing :V

10+ Year Old Account
    Chapter 6: Civil Rights - Trouble Ahead
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most kids outside of the south also don't learn a lot about climate change science. They usually focus on more general aspects of the Earth and its atmosphere, before getting into a specific field.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-08-17 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Its probably because the book is outdated.
    In High School they moved our graphic arts class to the old woodshop (class no longer offered) while the room was painted. It was full newer editions of books than we were issued, some of the kids took the drills and saws to them since the teacher went off somewhere.

Also, the kid is 8 years old. That's 2nd grade ffs. There's barely any science to be taught that will actually stick at that point.

This is much ado about nothing. Now a real problem is the fact that climate change and evolution aren't usually taught at any point in K-12. My HS skipped evolution in favor of ecology. There would have been too much butthurt from the YEC's.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2015-08-17 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Jesus, we are expecting to teach climate change at 8?

At that age a focus should be on the basics, save climate change for when they are old enough to really understand it

Climate change shouldn't really be taught to kids. It's sort of irrelevant, especially from the man-made perspective. Teaching evolution makes a lot more sense as it's very much relevant to the understanding of biology and all that stems from it, so the comparison is rather silly.

In school I was taught to recycle, consider my waste, utilization of resources, etc. The understandings of basic science and how our known universe works. Man-made climate change is something that can be combated with such practices and through creative thinking/utilization of knowledge to reduce pollution/emissions. As people of this planet we should always encourage better harmony with nature, period.

We don't need a doomsday type scenario looming over some poor kid's head to get that across.

I don't really see how this is an issue nor makes Georgia look ignorant. I'm pretty most texts/schools across the country don't touch the subject much if any. You get to a point where these things become little more than propaganda and fear-mongering really.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-08-17 at 12:49 AM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    I don't really see how this is an issue nor makes Georgia look ignorant. I'm pretty most texts/schools across the country don't touch the subject much if any. You get to a point where these things become little more than propaganda and fear-mongering really.
    Climate change is extremely important in the context of history, however.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Climate change is extremely important in the context of history, however.
    But not to a school teaching relevancy and expanding minds.

You can combat issues like man-made climate change by simply teaching them the basics and respect for nature or even balance. Hammering it into their heads isn't going to change anything but make them feel they have to do something drastic which won't solve the problem at large and simply serve to disturb them.

Climate change shouldn't really be taught to kids. It's sort of irrelevant, especially from the man-made perspective. Teaching evolution makes a lot more sense as it's very much relevant to the understanding of biology and all that stems from it, so the comparison is rather silly.

In school I was taught to recycle, consider my waste, utilization of resources, etc. The understandings of basic science and how our known universe works. Man-made climate change is something that can be combated with such practices and through creative thinking/utilization of knowledge to reduce pollution/emissions. As people of this planet we should always encourage better harmony with nature, period.

We don't need a doomsday type scenario looming over some poor kid's head to get that across.

My guess is that some are mad that we aren't reinforcing the idea of western society guilt at a younger age.

10+ Year Old Account
    But not to a school teaching relevancy and expanding minds.
    Implying history isn't somehow relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    My guess is that some are mad that we aren't reinforcing the idea of western society guilt at a younger age.
    And you'd be wrong, because climate change is a human thing, and we've been altering the environment in harmful ways since...well, agriculture.

If we're discussing weather patterns and known cycles of the planet, yeah, it is relevant to discuss. Bringing the man-made aspect into it all does nothing for the students, which is what I am assuming is the issue here.

I don't think anyone is against us discussing events of history concerning shifts of the planet.

At that age, getting the basics down is more important that focusing on a narrow sub-subject of study.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    http://cobblab.blogspot.com/2015/08/...-10-crowd.html

FTA

Seems stereotypical on the surface, but is a genuine problem if public educators are not teaching this stuff.
    First Off, let me state that Climate Change is a real problem in our world...but with that being said...I'm not sure it necessarily needs to be taught to 8 year olds.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.