Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those are stock clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Those are stock clocks.
    That's what I thought. If you OCed the i5s to the same clocks the i7s are running at, the difference would not be there.

i7s will only benefit gaming when devs start to utilize hyperthreading, not an easy task, since aside from stock clock hyperthreading is the only difference between i5s and i7s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    i7s will only benefit gaming when devs start to utilize hyperthreading, not an easy task, since aside from stock clock hyperthreading is the only difference between i5s and i7s.
    HT and a slightly larger L3 cache. But the purpose of the L3 cache is to make RAM speeds less relevant - and RAM speed is already nearly irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Are those at stock clocks? The i7's come with higher stock clocks, which would easily explain those numbers. However, if you OC, it seriously does not matter.
    You can't always assume overclocking. Overclocking is a crap shoot and you don't know by how much you can overclock a CPU. It is relatively easy to overclock an i5 K part, but Intel doesn't guarantee the CPU will operate fine at 4Ghz+.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You can't always assume overclocking. Overclocking is a crap shoot and you don't know by how much you can overclock a CPU. It is relatively easy to overclock an i5 K part, but Intel doesn't guarantee the CPU will operate fine at 4Ghz+.
    Well, at least in Haswell, you don't need to worry about getting it to 4+ since the 4790k is stock of 4. The 4690K is stock 3.5 with a 3.7(?) turbo. Just gotta get that i5 to 4.0 and it will perform the same as the i7 in the games he posted benchmarks of.

In addition, if you are planning on OCing anyway, you are right, there is no guarantee you'll get a high OC with the i5....but the same is true of the i7. The benchmarks I am disputing, that he posted, were all for K chips. I generally assume an OC when I see a K chip. So since you don't know what you are getting on either side.....if you don't need the Hypterthreading, go with the i5.

Deleted
    What I do see with those benches is that the 2600k is near identical in performance as the 6600k. While the 6600k is 100 mHz faster.... and of course the architecture boost.

So there must be something going on there.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2015-08-24 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Ive decided to lay off upgrading the inner workings at all atm......there seems to be to much uncertainty over dx 12 for example and exactly how it will affect things.....as well as the new amd zen processers on the horizon, I'm the kind of person who only has the free cash to save to upgrade my pc once in a blue moon so id rather not take a gamble and end up screwed.....I almost did it to myself the other month when I was close to buying an r9 290x literally a month or so before the r9 390`s were launched at the same price point.

what money I did have on me for upgrading ive decided for now to shell out on external bits as at least I know they will last, got myself a decent set of creative t40 gigaworks speakers and an asus strix 7.1 surround headset.

May look at upgrading the innards when the post dx 12 dust has died down and we have a better idea of whats performing how.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    What I do see with those benches is that the 2600k is near identical in performance as the 6600k. While the 6600k is 100 mHz faster.... and of course the architecture boost.

So there must be something going on there.
    Nah, improvements are in power consumption, manufacturing process, heat generation etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll post the OC graphs from that test as well then.

These are with the i7 running at 4,6Ghz and the i5 at 4,4Ghz, the maximum stable clock they could achieve. Obviously the GPU is the limit for the OC'd i7, I suspect with SLI gtx 980 the i7 would surge ahead yet again. The OC'd i5 still doesn't quite catch up though, especially when it comes to minimum frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'll post the OC graphs from that test as well then.

These are with the i7 running at 4,6Ghz and the i5 at 4,4Ghz, the maximum stable clock they could achieve. Obviously the GPU is the limit for the OC'd i7, I suspect with SLI gtx 980 the i7 would surge ahead yet again. The OC'd i5 still doesn't quite catch up though, especially when it comes to minimum frames.
    As expected, with the OC, the difference is a lot less. Since all they got the i5 to was 4.4, they should have put the i7 at 4.4 as well, then you would see what I am talking about.

My i5 runs at 4.6 and from what I have read, that's about average. That was the max I could get it to stable, I ended up dropping it to 4.4 anyway because, as seen in your benchmarks, it's enough to keep the min above 60, which is all that really matters unless you are going for above 144.

Deleted
    So I went with a 390x in the end, the msi gaming edition. overclocked that and the cpu now to max stable clocks. 3dmark result=11262 not bad I think for what I have!

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6055092