Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    I paid for my own college without student loans while working 2 full time jobs. Sorry to prove that it CAN be done.
    Anecdotal garbage. Awesome argument, brah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Actually, no.

You get rich by investing, not saving.

Moreover, don't use statistics if you claim that individual level solutions can resolve social problems.
    lol. Semantics. Your argument sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did I say a single million? Millionaire means only ONE million? Regardless, you gotta start at one before you can get to two.
    Realistically this isn't how society works. Some people start off much better than others.

- - - Updated - - -

lol. Semantics. Your argument sucks.
    The difference between 'saving' and 'investing' is semantics, apparently.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Great, as does pretty much everyone else.

I don't know how the illusion of, "I worked hard, I'm the only one!!!!" became so prevalent. Just more of the political bullshit.
    Just the usual self fellation from this poster and those like him.

For the first time in a long time I am actually going to be proud to vote because Bernie Sanders is running.

Here is a great article from 2005. Its very long. Its pretty damn depressing. But if you want to be an informed voter I suggest you take some time and read it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...gress-20050825

Then you won't mind providing an example of such.

And no, I see college graduates working at McDonalds and Starbucks.
    I wonder what the majority of them majored in? Bad choices yield bad rewards. Not my problem someones creative writing degree was a shitty choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, as does pretty much everyone else.

I don't know how the illusion of, "I worked hard, I'm the only one!!!!" became so prevalent. Just more of the political bullshit.
    The Reagan Era, when public service stopped being respectable and greed became a virtue.

Nice moving goalposts.

Get a better argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you wouldn't mind proving it.
    Considering most sanitation engineers get less than $20 an hour which averages to roughly $40k a year then yes yes they are working less than me since they are only working 40 hours a week. Pretty easy that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Yeah, fuck learning something because you are interested in it.

Am I right, guys?
    Making stupid decisions should....

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    My problem is if another Clinton gets in the White House and guts Dodd/Frank like Bill allowed Glass/Steagle to be gutted and crashes the fucking economy again. I was out of a job for 6 months damn near living on the street because of that shit.
    I'm sure Didactic would tell you "tough shit".

Generally doing nothing is about as effective than America's policies towards public assistance and social mobility, so.
    Can you prove this? I need a citation. (see this type of bullshit argument works both ways)

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering most sanitation engineers get less than $20 an hour which averages to roughly $40k a year then yes yes they are working less than me since they are only working 40 hours a week. Pretty easy that one.
    Yes, but as you right wingers are so fond of recommending what makes you think they don't work two jobs just to make ends meet?

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what the majority of them majored in? Bad choices yield bad rewards. Not my problem someones creative writing degree was a shitty choice.
    When the robot uprising enslaves humanity to harvest our creativity - our last useful labor - English Majors and Fine Art Majors will have their day - they shall be the prize slaves of the New Robot Order: trade skills will be meaningless when a drone can perform the same work faster, better, and cheaper.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    You think the difference between "investing" and "savings" is just semantics? :O

At this point you should stop responding. Common sense is no one becomes rich by hoarding their money...

I've invested, lost and gained millions, some by luck, some by hard work. I have over 200 employees at this point in my life, i no longer have to work hard yet I still make a lot of money. I got lucky from the risks I took, I could very easily be back in College Park GA broke as shit living in a shack without gas and electricity again..

Precisely why I've seen MBAs working in retail, right?
    Did you ask them why or just make the assumption? Maybe they fucked the boss maybe they made a bad decision, probably a bad decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you prove this? I need a citation. (see this type of bullshit argument works both ways)
    You first. You're making the claim that 'individual agency' fixes economic issues, burden's on you bub.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ask them why or just make the assumption? Maybe they fucked the boss maybe they made a bad decision, probably a bad decision.
    People are not nearly in control of their own lives as you like to believe.

So.... you sit in a chair how many hours per week? And since it's Monday morning, I assume you're posting here from your "hard work"?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I'm talking about the fact that "hard work" means fuck all.

It's frustrating to talk to people who wholly deny all the interdependence that their economic status relies on and just keep chanting "hard work" as if they were born on a desert island and built an empire of seashells all by themselves. You rely heavily on the local/national/global economics, you rely heavily on our infrastructure, military, and law enforcement. You rely heavily on the health of the "recognizable brand" that you consult for, you rely on so many factors that you seem to want to ignore because it's more fun to say, "I did it all alone! HARD WORK!".

Don't get me wrong, you do need to work hard. But pretty much everyone already does, the hard work by itself means nothing in the grand scheme of things, and you do almost nothing "by yourself".
    Funny thing is that just by sitting there success isn't going to come to those people regardless. Better opportunities came my way because I worked for them not because I reached my fucking lazy ass hand out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    I'm sure Didactic would tell you "tough shit".
    Maybe you should stop looking to people for handouts.

I think Jeb Bush or Hillary are the safest choices. People currently hate them because of their dynasties but either one of them getting in won't shake things up too much and they know how to play the political game at the end of the day. Sanders is too liberal for America, even if he gets in none of his policies will ever come to pass. Trump is funny for TV but even he knows he doesn't have a plan or a clue. "I'll tell them to build a fence and make them pay for it"....who with an IQ over 50 doesn't laugh at this shit? Scott Walker is one of those conservatives that hates everyone not part of the 1% that the extreme right seems to love. I guess if Americans really want a plutocracy then he's the way to go.

Yeah, no.

Society is not a mass of individuals in their own little vaccuums. It is a system based upon cooperation and social debt. You can work as hard as you like, but the fact remains there are others who are paying you, furnishing your infrastructure, and protecting your property from others.
    I haven't seen any police on my property in quite a while.

I am being paid because I am working. That infrastructure is being furnished because I am working and being taxed. Those people are "protecting" my property because my taxes pay for it, as does stupid people getting tickets lol.