Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mercenary Mode better reward Gold

Gold. Lots of it. You should be able to set your price as a mercenary, because that's what a merc is - a soldier for hire.

To make this work with random BG Qs, every player in the Q should be asked how much gold they are willing to pay to hire a merc and lower their Q times. If it's 10 people willing to pay 100G then you'd be able to hire a merc for up to 1000g. If you needed 3 to fill the team, then you'd have budget of 333g per merc. Minimum merc bids should be imposed, and the option to join a non-merc Q that costs no gold (but may have longer wait times) should exist.

In addition to this, there should be an exchange where group leaders can individually choose and hire merc players for gold. Sort of like an auction house for mercs. I say all this knowing that pvp in 7.0 is looking pretty bad with the changes they're making, but in the off chance that they come to their senses and don't find a way to make pvp even worse than it is now, I would very much enjoy being a merc.

What.. The side that has the longer queues will be switching to the other side in mercenary.
    The mercs don't fill some empty spots, they switch to the side that has short queues.

If alliance has an hour bg queue and while horde is instant cause alliance wins every time.
    The alliance mercs sacrifice the 100% win change for the instant queue, they don't get horde mercs to to alliance to make the queue faster, cause if the horde would switch in this balance situation the queues would only be longer for alliance.
    Why would the horde side pay the alliance mercs to make their qeueus longer when they have instant before the mercs switch?

Being a merc doesn't guarantee victory, it doesn't have any benefit for the team that gets them, only benefit is that the merc themself get a shorter queue, after that it's up to them if they can help the team they are playing to win or not.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2015-08-18 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nexellent View Post
    yeah... no, just no
    Brilliant response. I can tell you really had to perform some mental gymnastics to make that contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Redecle View Post
    What.. The side that has the longer queues will be switching to the other side in mercenary.
    The mercs don't fill some empty spots, they switch to the side that has short queues.
    Mercs are soldiers for hire. Did it occur to you if players of either faction can join the same merc pool, that groups can be filled instantly? Or do you fail to grasp the simplicity of what I'm saying.

1) A player who wants to "merc" posts a listing and a bid on a xrealm/xfaction listing similar to the auction house.

2) Players in random BGs set a bid of at least the minimum, up to any maximum they want.

3) Groups are filled by mercs AS NEEDED when there are insufficient players in the Q.

If alliance has an hour bg queue and while horde is instant cause alliance wins every time.
    The alliance mercs sacrifice the 100% win change for the instant queue, they don't get horde mercs to to alliance to make the queue faster, cause if the horde would switch in this balance situation the queues would only be longer for alliance.
    Why would the horde side pay the alliance mercs to make their qeueus longer when they have instant before the mercs switch?
    Wow, dude, you missed the whole point of mercs being CROSS FACTION. THEY ARE MERCS, THEIR LOYALTIES ARE TO GOLD NOT A FLAG.

Being a merc doesn't guarantee victory, it doesn't have any benefit for the team that gets them, only benefit is that the merc themself get a shorter queue, after that it's up to them if they can help the team they are playing to win or not.
    What's this crap about guaranteed victories? You hire mercs to fight - winning is up to the team...but there's nothing stopping mercs from being rated in terms of how effective they are in bgs by completing objectives, HKs, etc. There should be no "rating" but there should be relevant stats, including pvp item level.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Expert View Post
    Mercs are soldiers for hire.
    Not in WoW they're not. In wow, it's a mechanic name and nothing else. You're better off ditching your clickbait style thread name and pitch a different idea than trying to shoehorn your ID into an already established, tested, and on its way out the door mechanic.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2015-08-19 at 02:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are being paid in shorter queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Not in WoW they're not. In wow, it's a mechanic name and nothing else. You're better off ditching your clickbait style thread name and pitch a different idea than trying to shoehorn your ID into an already established, tested, and on its way out the door mechanic.
    Sure, and the point is that it can be a lot more interesting than a mere merging of alliance and horde BG queues.

And sorry to be the one to tell you this but this public forum is here exactly for the purposes of discussion...and clickbait seems to work. You clicked, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    You are being paid in shorter queue times.
    I want gold. GOLD. G O L D!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, and the point is that it can be a lot more interesting than a mere merging of alliance and horde BG queues.

And sorry to be the one to tell you this but this public forum is here exactly for the purposes of discussion...and clickbait seems to work. You clicked, didn't you?

I want gold. GOLD. G O L D!
    Ok, its a discussion. But you're calling anyone who disagrees with you stupid. That's not a discussion...

OT: There will be way more people queuing as mercs than the demand will be for them, if this was in. Everyone will want the extra cash, and no one will be wanting to pay for extra people that could end up being terrible.

I understand what a mercenary is.
    What i was saying was about how the system will be implemented in WoW.
    It going to have one purpose, shorten queues. You balance faction queues by allowing the side _with_ longer queue to be a merc.
    As long as the queue imbalance is in place the side with shortes queues cannot be a merc.

Since the title was 'better have THIS', i wasn't assuming this thread was about fan fiction of how mercs really work.
    I was merely stating how it's _going_ to be implemented.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mercenary?s=t

1. working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal.
    Bolded for emphasis. Your reward is not 'monetary', it's time. Time is worth far more than an increase to a digital counter.
    RETH

Uh, this sounds stupid. I'd rather fight the alliance 7 on 10, than hire some jabroni traitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Nition View Post
    Ok, its a discussion. But you're calling anyone who disagrees with you stupid. That's not a discussion...
    Really? Quote the part where I called anyone here stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mercenary?s=t

Bolded for emphasis. Your reward is not 'monetary', it's time. Time is worth far more than an increase to a digital counter.
    Good job on busting out the dictionary, now go to africa and try to hire some mercs telling them that their reward is "time". Seriously, go try that and let me know how it works out for you.

No self-respecting merc is going to take anything other than gold or something of tangible value, i.e. real property.

Notice how there has yet to be a valid argument as to why merc mode shouldn't work the way I suggested. We can make it so players can offer items instead of gold. Fine by me. Want me to merc in exchange for a spectral mount? I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Redecle View Post
    I understand what a mercenary is.
    What i was saying was about how the system will be implemented in WoW.
    It going to have one purpose, shorten queues. You balance faction queues by allowing the side _with_ longer queue to be a merc.
    As long as the queue imbalance is in place the side with shortes queues cannot be a merc.

Since the title was 'better have THIS', i wasn't assuming this thread was about fan fiction of how mercs really work.
    I was merely stating how it's _going_ to be implemented.
    Mercs need to be paid! Don't expect us to work for free!

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Uh, this sounds stupid. I'd rather fight the alliance 7 on 10, than hire some jabroni traitor.
    My loyalty runs as deep as your pockets.

They had to attach a name to the system and I cant think of one more fitting then Mercenary. If you think that both sides can use Mercenary mode at the same time then you don't understand how the system works or what it is meant to do.

Mercenary's get paid the same as everyone else for fighting and arguably benefit the most with not having to actually change factions to get the benefits of changing factions. Time is money my friend.

That would make queues even longer, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    They had to attach a name to the system and I cant think of one more fitting then Mercenary. If you think that both sides can use Mercenary mode at the same time then you don't understand how the system works or what it is meant to do.

Mercenary's get paid the same as everyone else for fighting and arguably benefit the most with not having to actually change factions to get the benefits of changing factions. Time is money my friend.
    Merc mode is effectively removing faction boundaries from BG q's. That's the easiest way to put it. All I'm saying is let's give players the opportunity to make gold for effectively picking up blizzard's failure to maintain its player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Sounds like an incredible way to destroy BGs. If that is your intent, then I give you props for coming up with the perfect solution.
    That's some incredible hyperbole with zero basis in fact.

People are punished by having long enough wait times that Blizzard had to step in... and you want to punish them further by making them pay gold to shorten their wait? First, I feel like you underestimate people's unwillingness to pay for a shorter queue. Second, I think you greatly underestimate what happens when players are given an option to set the price of their services.
    Punished? No. Irritated? Sure..and you can choose not to pay gold, but then you end up in the standard Q. You sound a little confused here thinking that you should be getting something for nothing. Players can set their prices however they want but there will be a market rate and if they price themselves out of the market, nobody is going to hire them. Capitalism works, both in reality and in the game.

I think we both know that if players are allowed to set the value for their merc services, the prices are going to be through the roof. High prices are not what people want to see and thus they won't pay them. If given the option to sit in queue for an hour, or pony up money to get in faster, you can bet people will wait it out. Not to mention... if one is willing to pay, but no one else is, are you really expecting that person to foot the entire bill for the mercs?
    No, we both do not know that. You assume that, and I entirely disagree with that notion. Please stop saying "we" like you speak for anyone other than yourself. You are not a representative - you are one guy and apparently broke. Players will have a minimum contribution they have to pony up to join a merc Q. It's going to be like 100g, and there are plenty of players who will be happy to run a BG for 100g. How hard is it to make 100g? That's like 5 daily quests.

Your plan doesn't seem well thought out. It feels like you simply want a quick way to make gold and thought that you could slap a few words onto a page and call it good. I urge you to rethink your strategy and come back when you have something that looks better than this soggy biscuits afterbirth you so kindly asked us to partake in.
    Your response seems to be over-thought, but since you do not understand basic market economics you have a problem with players earning gold for their time.

On my server it's not unusual to see players pay 200-500g for 2s wins. Tank Q's for dungeons as high as 500g or more. There's plenty of demand for merc-style services and quite frankly no reason not to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    That would make queues even longer, lol.
    My idea would provide insta-Qs for those that pay.

So, if a merc dies in battle, no gold? Sure. I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Red Sword View Post
    So, if a merc dies in battle, no gold? Sure. I'm ok with that.
    You are paying them to participate in your group. There is no assurance of victory.

I don't understand. The mercenary system doesn't benefit the "hiring" faction. They already have instant queues. To be clear: you're proposing that horde players should give gold to alliance players in exchange for using a tool designed to give alliance players shorter queues?

because that's what a merc is - a soldier for hire.

Actually in this case merc is short for mercury. This is because PvPers are notoriously bad at PvE and stand in the fire way too much. So in order to improve the LFR scene, they are making PvP bads out of mercury so they have a much higher resistance to fire and thusly able to stand in it with much less consequence and not ruin my raid time while waiting for their BG queue to come up....

Brilliant response. I can tell you really had to perform some mental gymnastics to make that contribution.
    Well I can't really think of anything to say but no as well to such a ridiculous premise. Then you have the nerve to get mad when someone replies to your ridiculous premise with a response you don't like. Maybe you sat there thinking you yourself actually did some mental gymnastics to come up with this idea, but maybe you should read over it all again? Paying money to join BGs? Group leaders taking time out of playing so they can pick and choose people like an auction house? LOL!!!!!!