Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    *sigh* here we go again. I enjoy shooting guns. I enjoy ranges. I hate gun enthusiasts. If you're against any and all reasonable regulation you are a zealot, period. If you dismiss all attempts to regulate weapons that are dangerous to allow weapons that are less by trying to trip people up with dorky factoids about AR-15s, you are a zealot.
    I think any reasonable regulations would start off with being written by people who don't just make up shit to call the firearms being regulated.

As the United States Defense Department’s Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, “assault rifles” are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.”[21] In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.[22]
    Weapons capable of fully automatic fire, including assault rifles, have been regulated heavily in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934.[23] Taking possession of such weapons requires paying a $200 federal transfer tax and submitting to an FBI background check, including ten-print fingerprints.[24]
    Many civilians have purchased semiautomatic-only rifles that look like military assault rifles. These civilian rifles are, unlike actual assault rifles, incapable of automatic fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Assault rifles are illegal for civilian use in the US.
    Class 3s aren't inherently illegal, but only the existing supply are legal, something <200k weapons (which is why they are so cost prohibitive, besides the licensing).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Assault rifles are illegal for civilian use in the US.
    Not that I know of. "Assault weapons" were illegal, but that expired in 2004. There are massive restrictions on ownership and selling, but you can go into a gun range on the Vegas strip and shoot one with zero training, licensing etc.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    BTW a Ar15 is not a assault rifle. In any sense of the defanition
    Yeah, it is a weapon, LOOKING like an assault rifle. It is kind of funny. People justify, that a teenager got shot because he had the orange tip of his toy gun removed, but insist on running around with "assault weapons" without being considered suspicious, because that would be "normal".

As the United States Defense Department’s Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, “assault rifles” are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.”[21] In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.[22]
    Weapons capable of fully automatic fire, including assault rifles, have been regulated heavily in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934.[23] Taking possession of such weapons requires paying a $200 federal transfer tax and submitting to an FBI background check, including ten-print fingerprints.[24]
    Many civilians have purchased semiautomatic-only rifles that look like military assault rifles. These civilian rifles are, unlike actual assault rifles, incapable of automatic fire.
    nominally, if you don't count shaving down the bolt lock.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    *sigh* here we go again. I enjoy shooting guns. I enjoy ranges. I hate gun enthusiasts. If you're against any and all reasonable regulation you are a zealot, period. If you dismiss all attempts to regulate weapons that are dangerous to allow weapons that are less by trying to trip people up with dorky factoids about AR-15s, you are a zealot.
    Shutting down an argument by calling someone a name..then dismissing their views because it doesn't meet your "metric" ...yeah..that is something as well.
    Equally helpful by the way.

BTW a Ar15 is not a assault rifle. In any sense of the defanition
    Nor is it a good weapon for hunting unless you consider hunting people to be a legit target

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Not that I know of. "Assault weapons" were illegal, but that expired in 2004. There are massive restrictions on ownership and selling, but you can go into a gun range on the Vegas strip and shoot one with zero training, licensing etc.
    Someone just opened a full automatic range in Orlando, too.

This thread is why I'm going to end up buying an AR or AK pattern rifle, just on general principle. I don't even care for either platform that much, but I want to spend some literal/figurative "f u" money on something that can take a 30+1 capacity.

As to the OP, the Oathkeepers are defying every idiotic stereotype against them by advocating for the 2A rights of Ferguson's black, law-abiding residents. Good for them. Shame on their mouthbreathing critics who compared them to the Klan.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Sorry I use mainstream encyclopedias as my source, not conservapedia.

I provided my sources, which directly contradict whatever claims Dystemper is making about AR-15s. It even explains literally that numerous versions of AR-15s do have selective fire.
    Show me in my post where I mentioned ar 15.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Nor is it a good weapon for hunting unless you consider hunting people to be a legit target
    They are a perfectly suitable weapon for hunting any game, just depends on chambering like any other rifle. People can hunt with 5.56 NATO, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: my annoyance at people with a fondness for telling me what I can't own, I may even get a slide stock for that eventual AR

See the markings on the other side, the ones that say "Armalite AR15"? How is that not an AR15?
    From Wikipedia
    The AR-15 is a lightweight, intermediate cartridge magazine-fed, air-cooled rifle with a rotating lock bolt, actuated by direct impingement gas operation or long/short stroke piston operation. It has been produced in many different versions, including numerous semi-automatic and select fire variants. It is manufactured with extensive use of aluminum alloys and synthetic materials.

The AR-15 was first built in 1959 by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the design to Colt. After modifications, the redesigned rifle was adopted as the M16 rifle. In 1963, Colt started selling the semi-automatic version of the rifle for civilians as the Colt AR-15. Although the name "AR-15" remains a Colt registered trademark, variants of the firearm are made, modified, and sold under various names by multiple manufacturers.

Doesnt matter they are still military grade weapons since you pretty much NEVER use the fully automatic feature in military combat except in games like CoD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Re: my annoyance at people with a fondness for telling me what I can't own, I may even get a slide stock for that eventual AR
    I agree, stupid nuclear regulatory agency getting all up in my business!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Ar15 platform is used by many hunters. From varmint hunting to Hog hunting. Please get some facts.

I agree, stupid nuclear regulatory agency getting all up in my business!
    Well, in fairness, if the position of the US government is now tacitly in favor of the Mullahs having a bomb, why shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    The Oath Keepers are planning on conducting a march with black Ferguson residents in several weeks.
    http://bearingarms.com/oath-keepers-...paign=baupdate

Good for them. If the police can't make the streets safe our Veterans will. There is precedent for this. It's not the first time American Vets have stepped in to re-establish the rule of law in a town in the USA. I wish I could sign up but I'm nowhere near there
    It's not as bad as it sounds, they are asking black people to join the march.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Doesnt matter they are still military grade weapons since you pretty much NEVER use the fully automatic feature in military combat except in games like CoD
    They are not military grade. A Civilian Ar15 can not fire Select fire. Just because a Civilian Humvee looks like a military style one, does not make it military grade

Deleted
    Oh Amuricans and your gun fetishes... At least it serves to provide rest of the world with some extra entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF are oath keepers and why does that term sound so out of place