Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    How is that in anyway related to this? At all? With this schedule what you are preaching will be reality. No one will have time for anything but studying and sleep. No friends, no family, no sports, no life experience, all studying. Want to know what that does to a kid? It isn't good.
    How does going to school in the summer mean you don't have time for friends or sports? Last time I checked I played sports, had friends, studied, and had a job in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    Not every kid gets into trouble during their summer vacation. I personally didn't.
    I never said they did.....

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    How does going to school in the summer mean you don't have time for friends or sports? Last time I checked I played sports, had friends, studied, and had a job in high school.
    You are going to school in the summer AND extending school hours. Kids who do sports already get home at 5-6PM and wake up at 4-5AM. When was the last time you were in school, might I ask?

Unrelated statistic is unrelated? Idk how you just equated going to school more and being more educated to slave labor. Interesting how the mind of a crazy person works.
    Spending more time in school =/= being more educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Absolutely. More school time means a wider range of subjects can be taught. It means kids have less free time between the end of school and the evening, which cuts down on them getting into trouble. You could also move the start of school forward an hour or two, given the research about the problems with our current start times.

There's really no reason for summer break to be a thing. Kids can just get a week or two off every quarter and stay in school otherwise.
    So can proper parenting.

---
    The system is fine as is. If anything is going to change, let's get teachers who truly give a damn. Let's get curriculum that prevents kids from picking a "parenting class" or "cooking" because it's easy and instead stress the absolute importance of taking classes such as chemistry or physics etc. Yes, both those subjects (parenting/cooking) sound like good ideas and are essential to everyday life, but in the real world, these kids aren't taking them for that - They're taking them because it's an easy 90% and little to no real homework. Period.

Here's an idea, let's teach them how banks work. Make learning compound interest MATTER to them so they have a clue about real life when they graduate.
    Let's teach them how spending $70,000 on a university degree is generally useless unless you have a family member working at the company they're interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I never said they did.....
    Indeed, I reread and you said inbetween school ending and the evening when parents return home. I apologize. The point still stands, though, that children aren't all hooligans looking to break rules and cause a ruckus. As it is, school starts too early in the US, especially for high school. There have been many studies that show teenagers perform better when they wake up later. Perhaps it could be that school starts later (9 or 10 vs 7 or 8) and thus is let out later (5, 6)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

Studies have shown that longer and more school days have a negative effect on the performance.

The ideal school day is from 9 to 2 or something like that. When your brain is receptive and mind is alert. Anything later is just excessive and does nothing.
    Last edited by babyback; 2015-08-19 at 04:34 AM.

Let me weigh in as an actual current high school student.

Ahem

Hell fucking no. Just because our grades are not as high as other nations does not mean we are dumber or less intelligent, it just means we dont like being talked down to by some teacher who has no idea how kids/teenagers should be treated. Personally, I do not get amazing grades, but thats because I study for things I am excited for. Kids suffer a major burnout issues just in the nine months of schooling, because it restricts them with what seems like no payoff. Obviously that is not true, but teens and such love exploring there imagination, and school is a massive restriction on that, if you get rid of summer vacation, the burnout would get much worse, which would hurt test scores even more, and even cause much more dropouts do the sheer stress of it. Because there is a major key difference between schooling and most average jobs.

It's a huge fucking dick measuring contest. Teens/kids will mock, tease, and harass you if you fail a test of even get a low grade overall, because it makes them feel smarted and they don't realize the massive pricks they are being. If kids who try but get Ds and Cs because there learning pattern is different than the one you are forced to take in school, without summer to give them some relaxation, things can turn out really bad.

With longer school days will students still be able to become cadets and competitive cheerleaders?

South Korea the land of all work no play has cheerleaders.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...rean-education

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    You are going to school in the summer AND extending school hours. Kids who do sports already get home at 5-6PM and wake up at 4-5AM. When was the last time you were in school, might I ask?
    Maybe the extension is an extra 1 hour. Maybe it's just the summer. Kids who do sports rarely ever wake up at 5am, unless they are on a team with morning practices and in most states they are only allowed to have a limited number of them.

I was in high-school within the past 10 years. You seem to be of the belief that doing something means you are only doing that one thing. You are suggesting that if you're on a sport's team you can't be making friends at the same time. Some of my best friends were made riding buses to sporting events or at practice. I held a job from sophomore year until I graduated. I still had time to have a life and study.

Quote Originally Posted by jayk View Post
    So can proper parenting.
    Proper parenting? School gets out at what? 3? Most people work.

This is like the "abstinence only" of education policy.

Maybe the extension is an extra 1 hour. Maybe it's just the summer. Kids who do sports rarely ever wake up at 5am, unless they are on a team with morning practices and in most states they are only allowed to have a limited number of them.

I was in high-school within the past 10 years. You seem to be of the belief that doing something means you are only doing that one thing. You are suggesting that if you're on a sport's team you can't be making friends at the same time. Some of my best friends were made riding buses to sporting events or at practice. I held a job from sophomore year until I graduated. I still had time to have a life and study.
    Most kids during High School, that I know, sports or not, were getting up at 5AM and out the door by 6:30. We would sit in class all day. Get out and mess around, then be home by 4-5. We would do homework and other stuff for maybe an hour or two, then have dinner, wind down and sleep. Rinse and Repeat. I hate to break it to you, but treating kids like Nine to Fivers while giving them Six to Fivers is a great way to make them drop out and hate school rather than use it as a learning tool.

A good school schedule would be 2 week breaks every quarter, with extra breaks during November-December for Holidays. 8:30 to 3 for School Hours.

It's funny all the people saying ending summer would be a great idea, while every single student in K-12 would hate it. But who cares what they think right? We aren't in school anymore after all.

Deleted
    no let them kids have some fun

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post

It's funny all the people saying ending summer would be a great idea, while every single student in K-12 would hate it. But who cares what they think right? We aren't in school anymore after all.
    Well, if we're basing our decisions on what kids think of school, then maybe we should get rid of it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Well, if we're basing our decisions on what kids think of school, then maybe we should get rid of it entirely.
    Kids like learning, they hate learning about stupid meaningless shit that they will never use in there day to day life or even at a STEM Job.

Source: I was a kid

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind having schools get out at 5, but ONLY if schools start later. Frankly, teenage bodies aren't meant to be going to bed as early as we would need to to get a solid 8-10 hours sleep.

As far as more school days, I think there still needs to be reaosnably lengthy breaks. 2 weeks sounds ok. I think its important for kids and teens to have breaks to relax and experience some adventure.

Deleted
    The problem with a bad educational system isn't vacation time and reasonable hours. It's the horrible teachers and horrible teaching material, as well as a generally horrible attitude towards education. Making kids sit in class for longer isn't going to solve that. Ever.

More realistically, I'd like schools to get way more aggressive with "extra curriculars".