Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

New to ele, a few questions for mythic raiding

Hi, so I'm making an alt for mythic raiding and I chose ele shaman, looks fun.

Anyway, I have a few questions about it, here they are.

1. What talents are the best and when should I choose talent X over talent Y?
    So far I'm playing with Echo of the Elements, Elemental Blast and Elemental Fusion(I guess the rest of them doesnt matter dps wise).
    2. If I don't have Unleashed Fury as my talent, should I even bother with using Unleashed Flame?
    3. At how many fulmination stacks should I use earth shock optimally?
    4. If I chose elemental fusion, which one is better:
    a) waste a few fulmination stacks because I'm at 20 and I'm waiting for my lava burst to come off cd to use it to get 2 stacks of EF
    b) use earth shock everytime I have X+ amount of fulmination stacks regardless of my current elemental fusion stacks?
    5. Is using flame/earth shocks during ascendance to not waste any EF stacks efficient? Or should I just lava burst and forget about EF?
    6. Should I even use earth elemental totem ?
    7. Is it worth to use lava burst/flame shock in a AoE sitation where I can safely spam chain lightning/earthquake/earth shock all the time instead?
    And general rotation question.

I'm completely unsure about opener, it really looks like it depends on your talent choice so I'm not gonna post it, looking forward to read a good one tho.
    Rotation I'm using goes as follows(priority list rather).

0. Flame shock always on
    1. Lava burst everytime I can
    2. Earth shock past X fulmination stacks
    3. Flame shock refresh at any time if I have 2 elemental fusion stacks
    4. Lightning bolt

so I basically spam Lava burst/lightning bolt until i get 2 stacks of EF, then I use either earth shock or flame shock and repeat the process.

Sorry for a wall of text, I'm just a kind of person that likes to min-max his class as much as he can

Quote Originally Posted by Peppek1993 View Post

So far I'm playing with Echo of the Elements, Elemental Blast and Elemental Fusion(I guess the rest of them doesnt matter dps wise).
    2. If I don't have Unleashed Fury as my talent, should I even bother with using Unleashed Flame?
    a) waste a few fulmination stacks because I'm at 20 and I'm waiting for my lava burst to come off cd to use it to get 2 stacks of EF
    b) use earth shock everytime I have X+ amount of fulmination stacks regardless of my current elemental fusion stacks?
    5. Is using flame/earth shocks during ascendance to not waste any EF stacks efficient? Or should I just lava burst and forget about EF?
    7. Is it worth to use lava burst/flame shock in a AoE sitation where I can safely spam chain lightning/earthquake/earth shock all the time instead?

I'm completely unsure about opener, it really looks like it depends on your talent choice so I'm not gonna post it, looking forward to read a good one tho.

0. Flame shock always on
    4. Lightning bolt

so I basically spam Lava burst/lightning bolt until i get 2 stacks of EF, then I use either earth shock or flame shock and repeat the process.

Sorry for a wall of text, I'm just a kind of person that likes to min-max his class as much as he can
    1.) Elemental Mastery + Ring / Ascendance will have stronger output on less AoE based fights where you won't be AoEing. However Echo is great for fights like Iskarr, or Hellfire Assault / Few others
    EF - With the Class trinket is pretty good.

2.) Only time you should use UF if you don't take talent is on an opener prepull - Sometimes the movement speed is great when you're on the move but it's kind of a really IF you need to and you don't already have something else to cast.

3.) I prioritize Fulmination at around 17-20 Stacks, great deal with the 2+4pc from the tier

4.) Never hold off your Fulmination if you're at 20 stacks - You're only buffing the Earth Shock portion of the damage, not the Fulmination damage - It's not worth it to throw away all the extra stacks of LS you could charge within the extra cast or two if you're waiting for a 2stack
    Only beneficial to having the 2 stack of EF is it's great for reapplying Flame Shock

5.) You shouldn't ever go into an Ascendance where your Flame Shock will fall off, try to avoid that... As far as Earth Shocking to drop Fulmination that's a must, always ES if you have 17-20 Stacks Fulmination during Ascendance

6.) Earth Elemental should still be used, the damage is mediocre, but it's still damage free. I prioritize using it during movement where im not cutting off a cast / a global best used for something else

7.) If you can spam CL / EQ / Drop Fulminations do that > LvB unless you're specifically required to sacrifice your AoE to blow something up, however keep down EQ as it's still an insane amount of Single Target DPS when it is down.

Pre-Pull
    5 - UF
    4 - Flame Elemental
    3 - Pre Pot
    2 - Lightning Bolt
    0 - Flame Shock + LvB opener CD rotation with Asc

Always keep Flame Shock up, try to reapply it somewhere between 5-9 seconds for the extended duration
    Earthshock past 17+ Stacks I find it best
    Basic Shaman.

I may have forgotten a few things but I am just now coming back to the game after a little bit of a hiatus through working, so it's kind of a refresher course for me here! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sticknsquirt; 2015-08-23 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Switched around Order of PrePull

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppek1993 View Post

0. Flame shock always on
    4. Lightning bolt

Ele is one of the dryest, dullest specs in the entire game. And it's weak. So you don't really get rewarded for it. If you like to min/max, stay away from Ele. And for Mythic raiding? Forget it. Ele gets punished severely in HFC. The only time you can really shine is when you scumbag aoe.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Ele is one of the dryest, dullest specs in the entire game. And it's weak. So you don't really get rewarded for it. If you like to min/max, stay away from Ele. And for Mythic raiding? Forget it. Ele gets punished severely in HFC. The only time you can really shine is when you scumbag aoe.
    His question was looking for assistance in DPS regardless of consistency in the spec, yet you just come to harp on how the class is mediocre? Don't turn this into a QQ thread, assist the player. Elemental has great potential, we just have terrible utility / target switching.

Pretty much this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically ignore the whiners here and have fun playing it, there's Ele shamans clearing Mythic as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    clearing
    mythic dungeons or blackrock foundry? 3 eles 0 enhancers wcl open logs for mythic archimonde, while there are 62 hunter and 30-40 mages, rogues, warriors, balance druids etc, even 13 spriests

Deleted
    I'm talking about mythic farm alt runs here guys, it won't matter that much. I'm already 12/13 with my rogue, so you don't have to bash ele that much lol. I know it isnt the best dps spec in game, I just don't care and picked him anyway :P

Anyway thanks for answers sticknsquirt, the only matter you didn't seem to touch is my biggest concern, elemental fusion.

You said I should refresh flame shock when i'm 5-9 seconds away, but that clearly means I'll waste A LOT of EF stacks when I'll only use my FS on <9 seconds and my ES on 16+ stacks.

Is using 80% buffed Flame Shock anytime lower than 25 seconds still a dps increase over just regular lightning bolt filler?
    Last edited by mmoc6fd03e2e20; 2015-08-22 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticknsquirt View Post
    I may have forgotten a few things but I am just now coming back to the game after a little bit of a hiatus through working, so it's kind of a refresher course for me here! Enjoy!
    Yeah, you forgot that Potion is off the GCD and can be macroed to LB.

Do not refresh flame shock without both UF and EF2 unless it will actually fall off (this gives roughly a 2.5 multiplier instead of only 1.8 from EF alome). Look to refresh it below 30 seconds (30% of the duration after the trinket's modifier). Refresh your initial flame shock (which only has a 40% buff from UF) as soon as your ascendance is over.

Do not worry about wasting EF stacks, they're so minor that you can just continue your normal rotation and be fine (remember that EF does not buff fulmination, it is only a significant damage increase to your flame shock).

At your AoE question: if one target has priority over the others and will live a reasonable amount of time (10+ seconds), yes you should incorporate flame shock and lava burst. At 3 targets, this is roughly equal damage to CL/EQ/Fulm, but significantly more of the damage is on the priority target. At more than 3 targets, it becomes a total damage loss, but still an increase to the priority target. If you have multiple long lived targets (e.g. Council, Xhul, Tyrant), keep a maximum buffed flame shock on every target. For any size of cleave, switch lightning bolt to chain lightning (even at two targets, but make sure you unglyph it). Also: Blizzard changed the way chain effects work in HFC only, mob hitboxes are actually taken into consideration. If you're having trouble hitting 3 targets that you feel you should be able to, try to bounce small add -> boss -> small add (for example: on mannoroth it is much easier to bounce starting from an infernal than if you were to start on the boss).
    Last edited by freddy090909; 2015-08-22 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by futter View Post
    mythic dungeons or blackrock foundry? 3 eles 0 enhancers wcl open logs for mythic archimonde, while there are 62 hunter and 30-40 mages, rogues, warriors, balance druids etc, even 13 spriests
    You realize this is a thread about someone alting Ele on Mythic, not a bitching thread about Shamans in Mythic?

then don't spread bs and just answer his questions

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    there's Ele shamans clearing Mythic as we speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by futter View Post
    then don't spread bs and just answer his questions
    That's not BS? Can you read letters and numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug1975 View Post
    Yeah, you forgot that Potion is off the GCD and can be macroed to LB.
    I am very biased against macroing my Potions with my abilities. I use it around that time as a break point in the times to allow a better prepull. That's just my two cents, never macro CDs with Abilities. Though now I only have Asc + EM Macro'd together.

I am very biased against macroing my Potions with my abilities. I use it around that time as a break point in the times to allow a better prepull. That's just my two cents, never macro CDs with Abilities. Though now I only have Asc + EM Macro'd together.
    What he was saying with that statement is that you are losing an entire gcd worth of potion value by popping it before fire ele instead of lightning bolt. I definitely don't think that you need any special macro for potting with lightning bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy090909 View Post
    What he was saying with that statement is that you are losing an entire gcd worth of potion value by popping it before fire ele instead of lightning bolt. I definitely don't think that you need any special macro for potting with lightning bolt.
    Guess it was my fault for misquoting then, but I would agree.

1.) Elemental Mastery + Ring / Ascendance will have stronger output on less AoE based fights where you won't be AoEing. However Echo is great for fights like Iskarr, or Hellfire Assault / Few others
    EF - With the Class trinket is pretty good.

2.) Only time you should use UF if you don't take talent is on an opener prepull - Sometimes the movement speed is great when you're on the move but it's kind of a really IF you need to and you don't already have something else to cast.
    what about for class trinket? say i have class trinket but don't talent into UF due to the movement of a fight or just don't like the talent, wouldnt it be good to still use UF when you have EFx2 up for a fully buff'd flameshock with the class trinket?

Quote Originally Posted by TTom2755 View Post
    what about for class trinket? say i have class trinket but don't talent into UF due to the movement of a fight or just don't like the talent, wouldnt it be good to still use UF when you have EFx2 up for a fully buff'd flameshock with the class trinket?
    Of course. You'd only have to ever use it a few times during a fight, so you can fit it in.... The only beneficiary you get from talented UF is more damage on your LB + LvB, it doesn't increase the fire spell damage by anymore than the 40% it already has.

Deleted
    4 - Pre Pot
    3 - Flame Elemental
    No no no no no stop doing that, you prepot before lightning bolt, not fire elemental

Ele is one of the dryest, dullest specs in the entire game.
    False, it's tons of fun especially on complex multitarget fights like council or xhulhorac.

If you like to min/max, stay away from Ele. And for Mythic raiding? Forget it. Ele gets punished severely in HFC. The only time you can really shine is when you scumbag aoe.
    Wrong and wrong. Sure elem isn't as useful as most casters but it hardly means you can't progress on mythic (especially since it's an alt) with it. Elemental played and geared properly still does good damage overall, with decent mobility/damage reduction, and a good mix of strong aoe/multidot while maintaining a decent single target. Fully specced single target elem can even do pretty well on ST fights with EM.

Hi all. I am here to address those of you that think Elementals can't compete in Mythic Hellfire Citadel. I haven't really posted much on here, but will start to make more of an appearance in these posts. My name is Zarmis, play elemental in the guild <Easy> on Zul'jin-US. Currently among the top elementals in the US. I am 12/13 Mythic and currently progressing on Mythic Archimonde. I have been in on every single one of our first mythic kills and I am also in on Mythic Archimonde. Elemental is competitive, you just need to be a good player. Feel free to add me, zarmis49#1267 with any elemental questions.