Computer not booting

So recently I upgraded my rig with a 5820k, an x99 sabertooth and some 16GB of Corsair RAM on two sticks. I've finished putting it together, but... it dun' gone goof'd. It turns on for less than a second before immediately shutting down.

I've tested the powersupply separately with a handy lil' Antec test device I have. It seems to read all the cables I used just fine without returning issues... The graphics card has been disconnected for testing purposes. Still the same.

With the watercooling loop in place, which has not shown any indication of leak (and is why I for good measure tested with graphics disconnected), I'm rather at a standstill on what to test next here to keep filtering out causes of error... I've disconnected all non-critical cables for good measure, too.

The complete build:
    Intel i7 5820k
    Sabertooth X99
    Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB)
    AMD R9 290X
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Corsair RM1000
    NZXT S340
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2015-08-22 at 10:20 AM.

are you sure your power supply has enough power to support all those components? I had an issue like this happen where I changed a video card, and the PC would do the same thing. I eventually found out that the new card was drawing significantly more power than my old one, and my power supply couldn't handle the load anymore. I don't know what processor you had before, but a 5820k draws a good deal of power. A quick google search shows that a 5820k uses about 220W of power under load (which it would be during initial startup). Your RAM and motherboard also draw some power.

Also, when you say you disconnected your graphics card, is it still in the slot? It still draws power sitting in the PCIe slot even if you don't have the connector plugged in.

For the record, the powersupply is a Corsair RM1000. As for the graphics card, a single 290X, I disconnected power and unplugged it from the motherboard. In other words, it has no effect on anything but waterflow, since the loop still runs through the block on it.

Have you tried to boot with just 1 stick of ram in DIMM Slot 0?

Tried with each individual stick of RAM now in preferred slot. No apparent difference.

last time i ran into this problem it was the ram causing the problem. slapped a new stick in and fired right up

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    how big is the psu?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    how big is the psu?
    It's a Corsair RM 1000.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    sorry i typed that before seeing your reply. Why don't you stick your old ram in and see what happens.

sorry i typed that before seeing your reply. Why don't you stick your old ram in and see what happens.
    I don't have any spare DDR4 RAM available, given this is the first DDR4 build I've had. The motherboard is not compatible with my DDR3. And unless both my DDR4 sticks are dead, I strongly suspect something else is foul right now, as I've tested with both sticks separately now.

10+ Year Old Account
    defective mobo? So hard to say when you don't have backup parts you can test on the mobo.

defective mobo? So hard to say when you don't have backup parts you can test on the mobo.
    I was hoping to not have to strip down the watercooling already after the amount of PITA it was to install, but that's where this is going it looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I was hoping to not have to strip down the watercooling already after the amount of PITA it was to install, but that's where this is going it looks like.
    gotta do what you gotta do. I wish you luck.

Deleted
    Yout motherboard: Memory 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X99/specifications/

Your CPU: Memory DDR4 1333/1600/2133
    ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

What Ram do you use? the need to be 2133 MHz
    Last edited by mmoc39b94ce6cb; 2015-08-22 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrawd View Post
    Etc
    This is the RAM I'm using. Additionally, no LED for the memory has come up.

Deleted
    You need a diffrent CPU what supports 2400 MHZ or you get a RAM what runs on 2133MHz

CPU and RAM must always match in taktfrequenz what i know
    Last edited by mmoc39b94ce6cb; 2015-08-22 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrawd View Post
    You need a diffrent CPU what supports 2400 MHZ or you get a RAM what runs on 2133MHz

CPU and RAM must always match in taktfrequenz what i know
    Very frankly put, this is tosh. All it means is that the UEFI will default to 2133 mhz.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news! I figured it out! I was casually browsing the manual, when I recognized something was off. Fixing this seems to let me boot. I'll have to get back to testing if it posts, etc, soon.

The embarrassing news was that I had installed the CPU the wrong way around.

Turns out, the 5820k will sit perfectly fine without causing problem. I remember looking for the arrow to match up to the first time around, and only realize now when looking in the manual that the reason I didn't see it on the plastic of the socket was that it was on the metal cover instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently writing this post from this PC. So it seems like this thread can probably be closed, I'll pm someone if I have further questions, or start a new thread.

Good to hear

I was going to suggest booting without any RAM installed to see if that threw an error, but a wrongly installed CPU would have stopped the POST before it got to that point anyway

Heh. Good to hear. I was kinda leaning towards bad motherboard myself when I got through the first few posts in this thread.

It's definitely a topic for another thread, but I'd wager that pretty much everyone here has at least one story involving something dumb we did during a build.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-08-23 at 01:13 AM.