Thread: Old PVP Titles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    The whole misconception here about the original HW/GM grind was that a premade team just got lolhonor stomping pugs.
    You speak truth, sir. I played on a Classic team that produced 4 or 5 Grand Marshals, and quite a lot of Marshals and Field Marshals. And a whole slew of the lower ranks. We had a backlist of people waiting every night to join if one of the core group needed to take a break. We did also raid and virtually everyone had t2, 2.5 or t3 or a mix of that, some wore their Field/Grand Marshal gear, especially the weapons because those were pretty good stat-wise.

People think all we did was roflstomp pugs, but it isn't so. Because our bench was so deep, we mostly played Basin as we could take 15 instead of only 10 in WSG. Before battlegroups, we were mostly running up against pre-made teams, I'd say 60-70 percent of the time. Those fights we deemed a success if we 3 capped and won, and a good success if we 4 capped and held on for the win. Usually against a pre-made our goal was to take and hold 4 bases and harass them at the 5th.

Pugs... when we did get a pug group, we of course would 5 cap them and farm them at their spawn point GY. And we often waited 20-30 minutes in queue between matches. Our goal, of course, was to win quickly so we could requeue, so we were pretty happy when we stumbled into a pug team. Matches against pug teams only took 5 minutes to win if we 5 capped within the first 1 minute of the match start, which we usually did.

The addition of battlegroups changed things of course, most significantly we had shorter queue times which was nice. And occasionally to break the Basin monotony, we would queue Alterac Valley, tell the 25 plebes in there to follow us, and roflstomp the place because we were on a chat server, had a geared tank and healers, and were organized enough to wipe the map clean quickly.

Good times. I was hoping that the RBG system would bring some of that feeling back, but the RBG community is gross and toxic and Blizzard hasn't helped it with how badly they have handled balance, MMR, and virtually everything related to the entire ecosystem.

I'm glad goblingirl was able to help set the record straight.

Running into pugs when battlegroups came into being only slightly lowered the chance that a premade group would run into another premade group.

The battlegroup and cross server competition, in my opinion, for those were still going for rank at that point - had it a bit more rough. They typically were fighting groups much like goblingirls group who were already running around in AQ40 gear - gear that was just simply better than the pvp epics. Some dedicated rank teams didn't raid, putting themselves in an uphill battle. I'd also say, AQ40 was breaking/burning a lot of guilds out, and ultimately a lot of them started forming up non-rank seeking teams for fun. My team still ran up BC release, all of us had hit GM before AQ gates opened. Very close to a year.

At any given time, from the moment AB & WSG were patched into the game and the dedicated few decided to form up teams to help get them there. From my experience on my server which was teetering on the tail of being a high pop server, we always had the same ratio of premade horde groups to premade alliance groups.

The competition of getting to HW/GM wasn't just winning against the other premade team you were facing, but it was also about winning faster than the teams on your own faction, to get into the next queue faster. Not every server had semi-intelligent or even friendly people who were willing to structure the honor threshold to help people cap their honor for the week, in order to push them through to their desired rank. Mine did not, and no amount of goodwill aided in creating a cap between the various alliance teams to get people to rank on an actually efficient timeline. Sadly for the horde on my server, they had to deal with the same thing. I'd suspect not many servers had established a cap that was actually followed or rather routinely disregarded by a few assholes.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2015-08-27 at 10:24 PM.

Glad to see there's still some old faces who remember the HWL/GM groups. People naysaying or claiming things are more about skill now simply have no basis in reality. They weren't there to experience it/chose not to compete at all.

Deleted
    nice video man

I played in Vanilla and have done RBGs a few expansions ago. Vanilla was much, much harder to get rank. You had to compete with your whole server. I got standing 1 two weeks in a row and I only ended up with Rank 11 after all was said and done. I actually fucked up because I didn't really need standing one until I needed to go from Warlord to High Warlord so I burnt myself out too early.

It took 14hr days of straight PVP. It was fucking hard.

With RBGs I just see teams climbing into ranks like it's nbd and it's less about personal effort and more about your composition. I'm not going to say it's easy to get High Warlord in RBGs, but it's not even close to the level of personal dedication it took in Vanilla. Honestly when I see people with RBG titles it makes me a little salty because they don't require the insane level of time.

I'm totally okay with them rewarding people who play RBGs, they absolutely deserve it, but it's a completely different system now. They should've been given DIFFERENT rewards. Not our old titles and transmogs.

It would be like if they just put the old Amani War Bear or Zulian Tiger in the new ZA/ZG. It would just devalue those old rewards.

That's why this interview is hilarious. It's like he didn't even know they added them back in YEARS ago. Do these devs even PLAY THEIR OWN FUCKING GAME?? haha

I'm just tired that you can't use old PvP titles that you earned in Vanilla, on different toons on your account. Then you see old raid titles you can't get anymore, like Death's Demise, on people's alts. Just inconsistent and aggravating.

Quote Originally Posted by Weenog View Post
    I'm just tired that you can't use old PvP titles that you earned in Vanilla, on different toons on your account. Then you see old raid titles you can't get anymore, like Death's Demise, on people's alts. Just inconsistent and aggravating.
    I agree. Even stuff like Conqueror/Justicar. Is it really feasible to expect people to grind that on all the alts they want it on?