Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I love Star Trek.

But Star Trek runs fundamentally against human nature.

We are ultimately limited by our biology; as Hitchens put it:

"Evolution has meant that our prefrontal lobes are too small, our adrenal glands are too big, and our reproductive organs apparently designed by committee; a recipe which, alone or in combination, is very certain to lead to some unhappiness and disorder."

If we were to emancipate fully from our biology, we would lose our flaws but also our happiness, our toil and our humanity.

This is the human condition, a tradeoff between being animals and being gods.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-08-22 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    This isn't even canon.
    Oh never mind then i thought Skroe was talking about Main universe story stuff.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Humans are robots. Much more sophisticated than anything we could dream of.
    Humans are trash tier robots that suck.
    Horrible self repair systems, no backups, little customization, flimsy hardware, buggy software, no internet, slow download speeds, etc etc etc
    0/robot, would not 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 again

Less feminism
    Less millenial mentalities
    Less SJW's
    Less "I MUST MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS MY EVERY THOUGHT AT EVERY MOMENT"

..you know, like the last 100,000 years were save the last atrocious decade.

Deleted
    Star Trek is wrong because it assumes that with time the most knee-jerk reactions and impulses of human condition will decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Ok as awesome as this sounds where the hell did it come from? I could have sworn that Nemesis was the last of the story so far and Renegade hasn't come out yet. Really id love the source for my own entertainment so i can keep up with the universe.
    The book series, which although "Not Cannon" are the really only continuation out there.

Star Trek Destiny is REALLY good. It's pretty much that "24th Century Trilogy Movie incorporating every series characters" that was always imagined but never happened.

Star TreK: The Typhon Pact deals with the aftermath of the war.

There are other books flanking this, such as Riker's Titan missions, the integration of Quantum Slipstream across Star Fleet, Voyager (with a Fleet this time!) going back to the Delta Quadrant, the DS9 Relaunch which saw a new DS9 being built after the Cardassian one was destroyed. It looks like this by the way:

It was designed by the same series artists and designers for DS9, so its as close as you're going to get.

The weirdest thing about now is that from 1987-2001, the 24th century matched the flow of time here 1:1. 2001 was 2379. That makes 2015 comparable to 2393 (so after the future scenario in 'All Good Things", but in the books because of the publishing schedule, its 2385. They're kind of walking very slowly to 2387, when the Hobus Star explodes and takes the Romulan Empire with it, as was established in the godawful JJ Abrams movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    As long as I don't have to work 300+ hours in the future every month im down for ................. anything........even star trek.

10+ Year Old Account
    More Aspergers, less violence, more logic in things that are done, more people trying to evolve the humanity instead of wanting money, more unity, ... Yeah more Aspergers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The book series, which although "Not Cannon" are the really only continuation out there.

Star Trek Destiny is REALLY good. It's pretty much that "24th Century Trilogy Movie incorporating every series characters" that was always imagined but never happened.

Star TreK: The Typhon Pact deals with the aftermath of the war.

There are other books flanking this, such as Riker's Titan missions, the integration of Quantum Slipstream across Star Fleet, Voyager (with a Fleet this time!) going back to the Delta Quadrant, the DS9 Relaunch which saw a new DS9 being built after the Cardassian one was destroyed. It looks like this by the way:

It was designed by the same series artists and designers for DS9, so its as close as you're going to get.

The weirdest thing about now is that from 1987-2001, the 24th century matched the flow of time here 1:1. 2001 was 2379. That makes 2015 comparable to 2393 (so after the future scenario in 'All Good Things", but in the books because of the publishing schedule, its 2385. They're kind of walking very slowly to 2387, when the Hobus Star explodes and takes the Romulan Empire with it, as was established in the godawful JJ Abrams movie.
    Can't take JJ's movies to heart its been said by him that they are a different universe. We know that their are absolute tons and tons of them thanks to the one episode where Warf jumps between them all. But even if in the Main Universe that star explodes and takes out the romulans it was vague enough that it was just a small thing and doesn't reveal anything else besides that after nemisis Fed,Rom relations improved as hinted at with riker heading up the talks.

Is all cool though and glad that its still alive out there. Least it gives me something to read until Renegade comes out. Only thing in the same universe since Nemesis. Cannon because it has the same actors,characters and was even said to be the same universe by the people in it. Does seem to have a good story since its the Alpha Quad dealing with the supply of crystals running out and now advancing to a new level.
    Last edited by Raptor With a Saber; 2015-08-22 at 09:39 PM.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Deleted
    no islam in europe

Infracted - there's no need to drag every thread you can into Islamic immigrants
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2015-08-22 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I love Star Trek.

But Star Trek runs fundamentally against human nature.

We are ultimately limited by our biology; as Hitchens put it:

"Evolution has meant that our prefrontal lobes are too small, our adrenal glands are too big, and our reproductive organs apparently designed by committee; a recipe which, alone or in combination, is very certain to lead to some unhappiness and disorder."

If we were to emancipate fully from our biology, we would lose our flaws but also our happiness, our toil and our humanity.

This is the human condition, a tradeoff between being animals and being gods.
    Hitchens didn't know about CRISPR. We'll be able to self evolve in the future. Thanks to tools like CRISPR we can make designer babies or even change our genes. Though the problem we face is two things.

#1 Would you change your genes to increase your intelligence? Sure you'd be smarter but you won't be you anymore. The genes that control your brain make you what you are. Change that and you change who you are. On the other hand new designer babies will have improved intelligence so the older generation either has to upgrade their genes or become a burden to society.

#2 Speaking of designer babies would you change the genes of your child before it is even conceived? China right now is considering this and if they do it we have to. If we don't then the Chinese have a smarter population and America further falls behind in IQ. If you could give you kids genes needed to be smarter, better looking, and healthier, would you? At some point it's barely your child.

And if humans aren't dying and everything is handed to them, we'll become depressed. Imagine living forever and never having problems. And if we do become more intelligent we may even be more suicidal, as increased intelligence tends to cause humans to be less social and more depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzael View Post
    Humans are trash tier robots that suck.
    Horrible self repair systems, no backups, little customization, flimsy hardware, buggy software, no internet, slow download speeds, etc etc etc
    0/robot, would not 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 again
    Ehh not really. The human body does an excellent job keeping itself alive. We age cause it's our bodies response to conditions that we present it. Fix those conditions and you'll live forever. For example mole rats don't grow old and don't die from aging. They don't get cancer either. Why? Cause they can extend telomeres. We humans can extend telomeres but only for certain cells. Most cells have this disabled. Cancer cells turn on the gene to extend telomeres and that's how they continue to live despite constantly dividing. Extend our telomeres and we too can live forever without cancer like Mole Rats.

Why did evolution not enable telomeres for all out cells? Cause it uses resources, and evolution had to decide to either keep you alive forever by spending those resources now to plan for this, or don't use resources to keep you alive forever but enough to reproduce. Why do women have menopause? No other animal on Earth has this, just humans. Most likely as a result of not having enough resources to reproduce as long as you're alive because humans weren't living that long. So to save on resources, producing eggs was stopping and woman were given a fixed amount. Better you lived to the age of 20 to have children than to die from lack of nutrients cause it was used for extending telomeres or producing eggs.

But the switches are there to be flipped, and turns out humans do have a switch that controls aging. Since modern humans don't have a nutritional problem today, we can turn on the switch for aging and even menopause. Aging is really a mechanism that's meant to keep you alive but after a while too much of a good thing is bad. If we need more Iron, B12, or Omega 3 we can just go to the store and buy more. But aging shuts off functions in response to cell damage and nutrient deficiency. And modern humans despite our access to better food and knowledge, we smoke and eat lots of carcinogenic foods. Foods that don't really have a lot of nutrition we need.

Also what's the longest running machine humans make today? Does a machine last a human lifetime? Trust me you don't need robots, we humans are already robots, we just need to tweak ourselves to essentially live forever. We are biological robots.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-08-22 at 10:14 PM.

Ever heard of Iain Banks Culture?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    People don't understand how cray the future is going to be like, and not like Star Trek or Mass Effect.

#1 We won't have flying cars.
    #2 We won't have shaceships with warp drive.
    #3 Probably won't find Aliens unless it's microscopic.

The good news is that the future is even more crazier than Star Trek or Mass Effect.

#1 Aging will be cured and that's a huge game changer.
    #2 We'll be able to alter our genes to look and act the way we want.
    #3 We will have a future where energy is everywhere for people to tap into. Free renewable energy.
    #4 Diseases will be cured, but the bad is that humans will use them to do their bad work.

And this isn't all that far off either. Let me paint you a disturbing picture, but likely true. There's a man alive today and his name is "BoB" and in 200 years from now BoB will be alive. Not only looking young but a women who looks like a teenager who has cat ears and a tail, and genetically gave herself pink hair. Not pink hair from dye but naturally grown.

There are places you can go that you can buy vials that you insert into your body that can alter anything you want. Anything from hair color to height, to muscle mass, and etc. Birthrates will drop cause they'll have to and money will be a thing of the past. Intelligence will be genetically altered and the smartest human today is not as smart as the dumbest human in 200 years from now.

We'll probably stop having normal child births and may even make humans that grow into a teenager within 3 years. Literally born an adult and given rapid learning to adjust. It's going to be hard having schools when less people are having children and likely rules will be in place to regulate how often you can have children.
    Sounds like fun.

Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2015-08-22 at 11:30 PM.

I like to think that humanity will generically improve itself. There are too many of us, and we consume too much resources. So why not make us smaller and more efficient? Unnecessary parts can go (like appendix, toes, wisdom teeth, hair).
    Could get rid of teeth altogether and make procreation controllable, in incubators. Our quantity would be strictly controlled based on resource availability. Parenting/education would be done by qualified species, and not parents.
    We could become all the same sex/race/culture. Among other things this will reduce inequality.
    There could be different species of humans, similar to castes. Some types would be born to be thinkers (they would need only a brain), some to be able to survive extreme physical conditions, some to be cyborgs and service the myriads of future's automata.
    The minds of most valuable contributing members of the society could get replicated onto artificial carriers, and become similar to AI.
    This might be glorious.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

add my vote to star trek future... give me a holodeck version of wow.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Immortality for everyone, control of population, not having to "work" anymore because everything is done via technology which means everyone can chose to explore whatever they want. Exploration of the universe (let's start by galaxy maybe) and human enhancements. Oh and no more "religion" because people are educated enough to be able to question everything.

I'd like to see the 60s counterculture vision come true. Peace and love brother. Less obsession with materialistic things. More focus on meaningful relationships with your fellow man. No unnecessary hate. Respect to the environment. Limited technology. Simple living.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

The human society described in Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The book, not the movie (especially not the terrible sequels).

This is especially because I don't believe in universal suffrage.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2015-08-23 at 12:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Anime harem style world for everybody!
    mmm edit, that AND a world in which nasa and various other space agencies of the world got better budget, less red tape, and freedom from political horseshit. So I guess some weird Harem style Space brothers world.
    That way I could join the 'orbit club' and also the 'moon club'.
    Take THAT 'mile high club'!
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2015-08-23 at 12:13 AM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

No humanssssss
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    I'd like to see the 60s counterculture vision come true. Peace and love brother. Less obsession with materialistic things. More focus on meaningful relationships with your fellow man. No unnecessary hate. Respect to the environment. Limited technology. Simple living.
    This is about the closest thing in this thread to what I'd want, even though I'm not a fan of the hippie movement.

I do think returning to a pre-industrial agrarian society is definitely better for the planet, and better for us in some ways as well.