Poll: Do you think the phrases "illegal immigrant" and "anchor baby" offensive?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Do you think the phrases "illegal immigrant" and "anchor baby" are offensive?

There has been quite an uproar the past couple weeks over some of the GOP Presidential candidates using these phrases (especially "anchor baby"). Do you find them to be offensive? Should people say "undocumented immigrant" instead of "illegal immigrant"?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    There has been quite an uproar the past couple weeks over some of the GOP Presidential candidates using these phrases (especially "anchor baby"). Do you find them to be offensive? Should people say "undocumented immigrant" instead of "illegal immigrant"?

Why what is the difference?

Nope. Illegal immigrant is a term which describes people who unlawfully immigrated, which is perfectly accurate.
    Whether those laws should be changed or not is certainly up to debate, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the term "illegal immigrant".

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would illegal immigrant be offensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, both terms describe the issue accurately.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is backlash against the phrase "Illegal Immigrant" because it's legally difficult to argue for something that violates the law. Saying that word is no good is a way to change the conversation instead of dealing with the problem.

Anchor baby is a bit derogatory, though.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Both terms accurately describe the individuals they're referring to.

As to whether there's anything wrong with either term, not only do I not think there's anything wrong with them, I don't care if anyone's offended by them. They're accurate descriptions. If someone's offended by being accurately described, then they need to change their description. Don't be here illegally and don't try for an anchor baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    I learned growing up to be truthful, and I also learned that the truth isn't always 'nice'. Neither are offensive, because they are both true.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things;

First, "illegal immigrant" isn't really a proper term, since it at least implies that their immigration itself was illegal. Many immigrated legally, but on temporary visas or such, and those expired and they never left. Their presence isn't authorized, but there's no civil or criminal punishment for unlawful presence; they're just deported to their home country. It's less of a legal infraction than jaywalking, if you want to get technical. This is also why "undocument immigrant" is slightly more technically correct. I don't think this is really that big a deal, though.

Second, "anchor baby" implies that their reason for having that child was to "anchor" them in the country, which is incredibly dismissive of their intention to build a family. Particularly since what they're doing is perfectly legal. Their child becomes a citizen on birth. This grants them no rights; the child can't appeal for their parents' presence until they're 21, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I learned growing up to be truthful, and I also learned that the truth isn't always 'nice'. Neither are offensive, because they are both true.
    Dude, really? Those babies aren't literally anchors, so how is "anchor baby" true? That's like saying the 'N' word is okay because it refers to skin color and is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both terms aren't "untrue," but they're both examples of loaded language, used to sway the reader or listener into agreeing with whomever is using the words because they're often used in a pejorative way.

More examples:
    "pro-choice" vs "abortion."
    "put down" vs "killed"
    "correctional facility" vs "child prison"
    "capital punishment" vs "executed"

That people use certain words in a decidedly negative fashion (like "alien" in place of "immigrant") tells you exactly what you need to know about their level of discourse and what political or social stance they're trying to sell you.

Critical thinking, boys and girls.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    nope, sounds about right to me. if youre an immigrant in the US illegally, youre an illegal immigrant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not offensive, but they might become "offensive" in general speech since the GOP is using both terms condescendingly and derisively.

Most terms deemed offensive these days were at one point PC, and only became offensive when they were used condescendingly, derisively, and insultingly.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Offensive to whom? I mean the only people I can see be offended are illegals and anchor babies. There is a large difference in being an immigrant and an illegal immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Not offensive, but they might become "offensive" in general speech since the GOP is using both terms condescendingly and derisively.
    Then the term "White privilege" is offense because it it is used condescendingly and derisively.

Yes/no?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

The problem for the GOP is not whether its offensive or not, they clearly do not care. Except... that Hispanic voters that they might need next election DO care. The general consensus is that if 90% of Hispanics vote Democratic that the Republicans will lose in a landslide. The question for the GOP is: how much can they insult Hispanics, for the purpose of firing up their base, before they lose too many Hispanic votes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Then the term "White privilege" is offense because it it is used condescendingly and derisively.

Yes/no?
    You guys get extremely offended every time it's used, so I'd say so.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wregelmann View Post
    Dude, really? Those babies aren't literally anchors, so how is "anchor baby" true? That's like saying the 'N' word is okay because it refers to skin color and is true.
    I get that you dont agree with me and that's just fine... not everything is racist... not everything can be compared to the 'n-word'... So save that line of garbage for someone else...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    There has been quite an uproar the past couple weeks over some of the GOP Presidential candidates using these phrases (especially "anchor baby"). Do you find them to be offensive?
    No more offensive than any of the other racist / sexist / homophobic dog whistles littered in any one of their speeches.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Don't care. That's what they are. If their an immigrant who is here illegally, their are illegal immigrants. I don't care about their feelings one bit, as they don't care about our laws or our countries well being.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?