Deleted

Suddenly My New PC Build Refuses to Boot Up

I know there is a similar thread a few posts below, but my problem is somewhat different.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690K
    MoBo: ASUS Z97-PRO
    Memory: 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 MHz
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB
    GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970
    PSU: COOLERMASTER V650S-650W 80 PLUS Gold Power Semi-Modular

I purchased these parts exactly a month ago, built the computer a couple of days later (didn't do the cabling up myself). It was running perfectly fine untl yesterday evening when it simply shut-down - No BSOD, no nothing just an instant shut-down. Since then, pressing the power on button does nothing unless I turn the PSU off and on - when I press the power on button then, the fans start spinning for a split second and then stop and it's back to the previous condition of not being able to be powered on at all.

I have been monitoring GPU and CPU temperatures and these have never gone over 69 and 55 respectively, so im inclined to think these havent overheated and blown in any way.

I tested with each stick of RAM on its own in the recommended slot for a single stick to no avail.

So far i'm inclined to think its the PSU feeding wrong voltages for some reason and the MoBo's surge protection or w/e is keeping it from damaging any components. Also the LEDs on the MoBO and GPU are on which means there is power coming to them.

Any help and ideas are much appreciated before i take it to the shop tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Batejorko View Post
    I know there is a similar thread a few posts below, but my problem is somewhat different.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690K
    MoBo: ASUS Z97-PRO
    Memory: 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 MHz
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB
    GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970
    PSU: COOLERMASTER V650S-650W 80 PLUS Gold Power Semi-Modular

I purchased these parts exactly a month ago, built the computer a couple of days later (didn't do the cabling up myself). It was running perfectly fine untl yesterday evening when it simply shut-down - No BSOD, no nothing just an instant shut-down. Since then, pressing the power on button does nothing unless I turn the PSU off and on - when I press the power on button then, the fans start spinning for a split second and then stop and it's back to the previous condition of not being able to be powered on at all.

I have been monitoring GPU and CPU temperatures and these have never gone over 69 and 55 respectively, so im inclined to think these havent overheated and blown in any way.

I tested with each stick of RAM on its own in the recommended slot for a single stick to no avail.

So far i'm inclined to think its the PSU feeding wrong voltages for some reason and the MoBo's surge protection or w/e is keeping it from damaging any components. Also the LEDs on the MoBO and GPU are on which means there is power coming to them.

Any help and ideas are much appreciated before i take it to the shop tomorrow.
    Do you have the speaker module plugged in to the mobo so you can hear POST beeps when you start it up? If not, plug it in. The beeps are your error code and will tell you/us EXACTLY what's going wrong during the startup process.

Edit: I just built a new pretty high end machine about two months ago and also use an Asus z97 mobo, so I'll help if I can. Getting that error code is the first step.

Sounds like the psu is failing.

Do you have another one to test the rest of your build with?
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    Sounds like the psu is failing.

Do you have another one to test the rest of your build with?
    Yeah, you might have to RMA it, although it's far more likely for a PSU to arrive DoA than it is for it to work for a day/week/whatever and then fail. Of course it's possible and happens, it's just less likely.

My PSU is also modular but has a switch on the back to modify its output, if yours does make sure you didn't pop it to the other setting by accident.

Even if it's the PSU, your motherboard should pump out an error code (either via onboard display or beeps) to let you know what the problem is, before powering down.

Deleted
    @Extremity - I have the speaker module plugged in and it normally beeps on startup. As I stated in the OP, it doesn't even get there - it is as if it gets power for a split second (fans spinning up) and then power is cut.

@Kraddark - Unfortunately I am unable to test with another PSU as i gave my old PC to my grandma which lives quite far away. (even if she wasn't that far away i doubt it would have the wattage to power the components anyway).

@Extremity - I have the speaker module plugged in and it normally beeps on startup. As I stated in the OP, it doesn't even get there - it is as if it gets power for a split second (fans spinning up) and then power is cut.

@Kraddark - Unfortunately I am unable to test with another PSU as i gave my old PC to my grandma which lives quite far away. (even if she wasn't that far away i doubt it would have the wattage to power the components anyway).
    If you're absolutely positive the speaker is plugged in properly and you aren't even getting a single beep then it's a power issue. Sometimes with a modular PSU the plugs can be hard to get in all the way, make sure everything's secure on both sides. Like I said before, also make sure there isn't a voltage switch on the back that you accidentally triggered. Barring that, it's almost definitely a power issue.

Now that doesn't mean it has to be the PSU (although that's most likely). Just like the motherboard can kill power to protect itself, the PSU itself will kill power if it determines there's some sort of power issue. Double-check your connections. You could even try a different plug in your wall or a different power strip (or bypassing it entirely). I know these sound far-fetched, and they are, but it always sucks to replace a component only to find out it was something simple like that.

You could also try disconnecting every component to see if the motherboard then beeps; literally have nothing but the motherboard and the PSU, and see if when you turn it on you get a beep. Honestly though, only do that if you're REALLY determined to not have to replace anything or can't afford to. Otherwise, plan on a new PSU.

Deleted
    Thanks for the input. Parts are brand new and are covered by warranty so I don't think I'm gonna have to take cash outta my pocket and it looks like I'm gonna be getting a new PSU. It was more a case of - can I do anything to not have to bring it to the shop and jump straight back into gaming... 'cuz you know... I'm an addict... got to play WoW.

Edit: The only thing that worries me is that those LEDs are on - is it that the PSU blew or is it just being prevented to feed any power to the components by the MoBo as i speculated? From what I read what happens to my PC happens when the PSU is not powerful enough for the components which isn't the case because it ran for a good 3-4 weeks w/ no problems.

Edit 2: I made sure all the plugs go all the way in - then again its been 3 weeks and i highly doubt one of them decided to randomly pop out.
    I did try a different cable to the PSU and also tried different sockets - nothing changed. What really worries me is that those LED indicators are all on which means there is power coming to them. Would appreciate if anybody could shed some light on the LEDs and faulty PSU matter.
    Last edited by mmocf856cd8999; 2015-08-23 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks for the input. Parts are brand new and are covered by warranty so I don't think I'm gonna have to take cash outta my pocket and it looks like I'm gonna be getting a new PSU. It was more a case of - can I do anything to not have to bring it to the shop and jump straight back into gaming... 'cuz you know... I'm an addict... got to play WoW.

Edit: The only thing that worries me is that those LEDs are on - is it that the PSU blew or is it just being prevented to feed any power to the components by the MoBo as i speculated? From what I read what happens to my PC happens when the PSU is not powerful enough for the components which isn't the case because it ran for a good 3-4 weeks w/ no problems.

Edit 2: I made sure all the plugs go all the way in - then again its been 3 weeks and i highly doubt one of them decided to randomly pop out.
    I did try a different cable to the PSU and also tried different sockets - nothing changed. What really worries me is that those LED indicators are all on which means there is power coming to them. Would appreciate if anybody could shed some light on the LEDs and faulty PSU matter.
    Keep in mind that the mobo could have gone bad too. A 650 watt PSU should be more than enough for the components you have so I doubt it's a "not enough power" issue.

The only real way to determine what's the issue is to swap the PSU, either putting an alternative one into your system to see if it boots, or putting your PSU on another computer to see if it powers it.

After some research I have seen SEVERAL people with the same issue. Half of them ended up having a cable issue. I know you said your cables look plugged in, but did you remove them and put them back in anyways? Unplug the motherboard and CPU power cables from BOTH ENDS (from the psu end and the component end), make sure both ends are clean, and then firmly plug them both back in. If you're able to, do the same for everything else connected to the PSU, remembering to unplug from both ends. Several people have said this fixed the issue for them. If it's still not working after this, you need to start unplugging components one by one to see if it fixes the issue. One bad stick of RAM can do this. I had a client whos computer I was repairing and it ended up being the RAM slot on the motherboard; the sticks were fine, but if one of the four slots had RAM in it the computer would not start, that slot HAD to be empty. Start unplugging components and checking, trying with every combination of RAM you can (one stick in slot 1, then 2, etc). It takes some time but you really need to try to narrow things down, and the only way you can is by removing components.

Consider investing in a motherboard diagnostic chip. They're cheap (around 10 bucks) and allow you to diagnose motherboards with ease. The $10 investment is absolutely worth it as you'll always be able to diagnose your machine, and can even diagnose others either professionally (charging a few bucks for it) or just to help your friends. Here's an example of one that's cheap. It's from China or something, but they aren't complex components and one like this would work fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6U42J20005 -- These days many motherboards come with onboard diagnostics, a small LCD display that will give you an error code if something goes wrong or a normal POST code if things are fine. The next time you build a machine, consider paying a few bucks extra for a mobo with this feature. I bought a similar board to yours and mine doesn't have one, but I've owned them in the past and it's invaluable.

Anyways -- If it's still not working, check to see if you hear a simple click from the PSU before it powers down. If so, unplug everything and do the "paperclip test".

The Paperclip Test: (I would google this for more complete instructions/information, but here's the gist of it. Keep in mind that this is by no means definitive and your PSU could be dead even if it passes this, but that's somewhat unlikely.)

Here's a link with some great information on the paperclip test, along with a chart of the PSU pins that's very handy. This is from the Cooler Master support forums, so you know your PSU is supported:
    Cooler Master Support: The Paperclip Test

tl;dr version:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paperclip Test
    The "Paperclip Test" is basically jump-starting your power suppy.

You will need: One METAL paperclip. Avoid paperclips with colored plastic coatings.

Instructions
    1) Unplug the main power cable from the wall.
    2) Unplug the 24 pin power connector from the motherboard (The main, large cable powering your motherboard. Note: some PSU/Mobos use a 20 pin connector instead.)
    3) Unplug the 4 pin power connector from the motherboard.
    4) On the 24 pin connector, locate the green wire.
    5) Connect one end of the paperclip to the green wire (by inserting one end of it into the individual "port" on the connector that the green wire runs to).
    6) Connect the other end of the paperclip to the black wire.
    7) Plug the power cable back in to the wall.
    8) Wait about three seconds for it to start.
    If you've done everything I've said and it's still not working and your paperclip test did nothing (The PSU did not turn on at all or did only for a short moment) you most likely have a dead PSU. If the PSU *DID* run when jumped, you most likely have a dead Mobo.

Keep in mind that while most of this points to a dead PSU, a dead Mobo is still likely. Read the link above to the paperclip test's information; that thread contains more information regarding your issue, directly from the Cooler Master forums.

If you still have trouble, try Cooler Master's support livechat. You can talk to somebody via livechat from this page:
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/live...department.php

Just a side note - while you said there is no beeping at all (and make sure you listen VERY closely, sometimes it can be very subtle) I forgot to ask if you noticed any LED flashing. Sometimes the main LED on the Chassis can flash an error code. If you have any LEDs on the motherboard itself, look and see if they are flashing. If so, try and see if there's a pattern; either X flashes and that's it, or X long/Y short, etc. You can also check this on any LEDs on the PSU. Let me know if you see anything interesting on either.

If none of this helps, unplug absolutely everything (the PSU from the wall and all components from the PSU) and just let it sit for a while. You'd be surprised how often it will start up afterwards.

You're at a point where if nothing else works, you'll have to replace the PSU. Even though it COULD be a motherboard issue, there's no real way to test that without a diagnostic chip (which I spoke about above). The PSU is far cheaper/easier to replace, so you generally want to start with that. If you replace the PSU and still have the issue, it's most likely the motherboard. Just make SURE you have tested removing EVERY component individually or in any combination you can; you don't want to wait to replace the PSU, still have issues, then replace the Mobo only to find that you STILL have issues and it was some other component.

Although you're under warranty, if you purchased the PSU online I would buy a replacement in a local shop while you wait for the new PSU to arrive in the mail. Just make sure to check the store's return policy to make sure you can return it later. If not, you could always buy one locally and simply ask for a refund online. If you purchased your parts in a local store than these points are moot.

One last thing: Another post I read states the following, which might be interesting to you:

1) A motherboard will generally not turn on its green (usually green) LED if its faulty. This does not include "always on" LEDs that are... well, always on (while the mobo has power).
    2) A PSU generally will not provide any power whatsoever if it's faulty (this isn't the case 100% o the time, but most of the time).
    3) 9 times out of 10, when a motherboard dies it will not boot at all or show any LEDs.

One last thing that could cause this exact issue:
    If the heatsink on the CPU is not firmly in place, the CPU is not properly in place, OR the CPU fan connector is not in correctly, many mobos have a safety feature that will do EXACTLY what's happening to you to prevent any damage to the CPU. Double-check that your CPU and/or its heatsink were not somehow loose when you installed them. If they were, the heatsink or fan clip may have loosened up more causing this issue. If your motherboard does not detect a CPU fan/etc it WILL halt the startup process. Seriously, check your CPU, heatsink, and CPU fan connector.

You can also try removing and replacing the CMOS (BIOS) battery. It just takes a second and never hurts to try. There have been cases where a corrupt BIOS configuration causes issues like this.

If you do the paperclip test and it DOES work (the PSU comes on) please let me know and we can continue from there.