Poll: Which medium should be absolute cannon

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which should be absolute canon?

Cos I don't think you can realistically have every media outlet canon.

My vote would be for the movies, and if possible movies + any televised series.. i think it's really bad for movies and tv series to be different canons.. i think 3rd priority should be the game..why?

because blizzard has shown that gameplay comes first, and that's terrible for a realistic story. remember the warcraft movie trailer, and the stormwind in it that looks so different from the game? if the game ends up being the highest cannon, then it's b/s cos then Azeroth ends up being way too small, the cities far too impractical not to mention tiny and the list goes on.. and then all those bad stories too?

nah, the game is best being a close approximation, for the real medium of the movies.. and opportunity to interactively engage with the universe and do cool fancy things you see in the movies, in a good or really great way.. but no more.

They should work hard at not messing up movie or tv medium, make the mistakes in the game where people are more interested in slaughtering enemies than whether it makes sense for Thrall to be everywhere or for the upteen number of questionable decisions.

EDIT: p.s. You have to post a cannon pic
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-09-02 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    This is absolute cannon.

OT: Everything blizzard states to be canon is canon. Everything blizzard states to either be non-canon from beggining or become non-canon after time is non-canon.
    Movie will have its own canon, separate from games canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can never quite remember what cannon is, part of the lore, right? If so, then what Arrashi said, what ever Blizz states is cannon.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Probably the absolutliest of cannons!
    Mother pus bucket!

How can you possibly include fan fic on this list? By very definition it is non-canon.

Movie will be its own canon, kind of like how the LOTR/Hobbit/MCU/Harry Potter/Star Trek/Every movie adaptation of anything ever are canonically separate from the source material.

As for the books, the Warcraft: Chronicle anthology will be the absolute canon WoW reference. It's coming out in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Movie will have its own canon, separate from games canon.
    A terrible decision if you ask me

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I can never quite remember what cannon is, part of the lore, right? If so, then what Arrashi said, what ever Blizz states is cannon.
    Canon is any part of lore/setting that is undeniable fact that everyone should take for granted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Probably the absolutliest of cannons!
    Nah, that's only 890mm. This one is 914!

On topic, stuff happening in the GAME should be considered canon. That's where it started and that's where it belongs.

10+ Year Old Account

Doesn't get much more Cannon than that.

On topic, Everything is canon unless it is contradicted by something else in this order: Games>Books>Everything else
    Last edited by Selastan; 2015-08-23 at 03:16 PM.

Deleted
    Prepare the cannons.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Fanfic by definition isnt real canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post

Doesn't get much more Cannon than that.
    I can't even see what that is. I'm guessing some sort of cannon, but it would be easier to see with a link to original pic instead of this small thing...

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    A terrible decision if you ask me
    The movie shouldn't be canon, because that would mean retcons. Every minor change or inconsistency would be considered a retcon and that won't fly when the source material AKA WoW is still being written.

The movie trilogy being its own Canon allows for a lot more freedom to make things cool without being restrained by old source material. Lord of the Rings wouldn't have been nearly as good if it adhered to the books perfectly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Books or tv-series, though I voted tv-series. Books because they include more things, but series because they last longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    I can't even see what that is. I'm guessing some sort of cannon, but it would be easier to see with a link to original pic instead of this small thing...
    Best I could find, Final Fantasy VII wasn't exactly HD =(

yet

What the, why are people voting for books? Are you serious?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    What the, why are people voting for books? Are you serious?
    Because the books are (sometimes sadly) canon and explain things we don't see in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Lets get a high def day time image of it in here.

Okay not the exact same image but the same cannon model.

On-Topic: For WoW? To be honest, I think the lore found in the games should be taken as the highest order of canon with the books/short stories coming second in consideration and 'Lore' videos coming third. (e.g. since the Lore for WoD started in a book and lore videos it could technically be written off as a bullshit expansion as the events just seemed to happen in game with no real connection with MoP). For any other series, I'd say the first form of media it was presented in should be regarded as the main canon.
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2015-08-23 at 03:31 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity