Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    It's similar to WoW in that it has enough of a core audience that extreme drop-offs after the first month or so of an expansion are expected. The endgame content in Heavensward is incredibly thin, but the same arguments still stand. 'Have you beat AF4s? Then you still have something to do!'

There is a difference in a grind that is bullshit and a grind that is rewarding and fun.

FFXIV has more grinds that is rewarding and fun then it does BS ones in my opinion. With that said FFXIV isn't no where near a fall and infact its growing. Hell they just reached 5 million registered accounts and that does not include any trial accounts. How many is subbed who knows but the game is growing.

In truth it mite be the only MMO growing at a decent rate but thats my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    It's similar to WoW in that it has enough of a core audience that extreme drop-offs after the first month or so of an expansion are expected. The endgame content in Heavensward is incredibly thin, but the same arguments still stand. 'Have you beat AF4s? Then you still have something to do!'
    Right and to add leveling other class's isn't a chore in my opinion.

I love the whole ur charater can be all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Well to me there is no game after 40. Looking at how other people play that goes for a lot of people who don't go beyond trial status and have all their pleasure from character creation and interactions with the entire game which you can see from trial. There is no need to get the full game. Having it accessible to trials is a cheap way of making the game look alive.

Some of us never used fast travel in Skyrim, but we installed a teleport mod that could take us anywhere anytime.

Moral is. If one first gonna cheat in a RPG, do it in a way that makes sense/is immersive. Teleport spells/recall was something missing from Skyrim, it belong in TES, but was replaced by a fast travel system far more user friendly and overpowered. Casual friendly, in a game that should be hardcore RPG. Now you see kids everywhere asking for a new Skyrim. While prior to skyrim you had TES fans screaming for a new TES, appealing to casuals have destroyed the quality of games. A GIL sink in your personal teleport ability screams bad design. Teleport in FFXIV is incredibly overpowered, far to many are available. The game is designed so that you don't need it. Except main quest that prefer to have you running across the continent, surely on purpose. Cause all the quests continually lead to nearby crumbs, until you reach end of quest line and you are sent to walking sands for another /oh noes not again. Even with the comm you are still sent there. WoW in comparison, imagine teleporters everywhere there. Blizz is to rigid on it though, not even offering portals between main cities, but dungeon teleport etc. is fine. oh the casual appealing idiocy. Gated content are more desired, thats why the gates are always taken down, but then the desire also drop. It's quite simple, and you do not appeal to the kid yelling i wnt epix noaw or ai quitt kk. you tell him to work for the epic.

Or you could just say that I'm not interested in a two year old p2p game heavily loaded with grinds and GIL spam. Blizzard have taught me well not to waste my time on pointless grinds. Like the entirety of MOP>WOD>wow's future. As Blizz are experts at nullifying grinds after having them out for a while, to appeal to casuals and backstab everyone else.

Those who keep returning every patch to try it out must be really desperate. It's not like a patch will offer anything, but a little more time consumption in a otherwise finished game. I'm looking for entertainment and challenges, so I don't waste my time on tiny changes or tiny additions in a game that's otherwise finished.
    In all the posts I ve read this is by far the most misleading review I ve ever seen of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to me there is no game after 40. Looking at how other people play that goes for a lot of people who don't go beyond trial status and have all their pleasure from character creation and interactions with the entire game which you can see from trial. There is no need to get the full game. Having it accessible to trials is a cheap way of making the game look alive.
    Uhuh.. okay.

So it's not a game to your tastes.
    Judging by your posts I'd say MMOs aren't your thing in general.
    Time to move on then.

You can yap about grinds all day long but in endgame you will need the teleports. Esp if you are a gatherer.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    In all the posts I ve read this is by far the most misleading review I ve ever seen of the game.
    Yeah well, some people just don't want us playing any other game than WOW

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you need your hearthstone in barrens or STV to get kingsblood?
    That analogy just proves you have no idea what endgame gathering is like in FFXIV.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried FFXIV and HW, and while I can see why people like the game I realized it's just not my cup of tea. It does look like the end game gets more interesting than early game though. It's built up a strong core playerbase though and it will be around just like GW2. I don't think it's more in the brief hype category like some other mmo games were that will quickly fall (Aion, Rift, Warhammer, etc.).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know the size of the world and travel opportunities. What more is needed to know?
    Here's how endgame gathering works in FFXIV:

Node A spawns, it's only there for 2 minutes. Then you have 4 minutes to get to Node B, which is also only there for 2 minutes. And repeat again for Node C. These nodes can be as much as 4 zones apart.

Now, is it possible to get them all without a teleport? Maybe, I don't intend to find out. It's certainly not equal to any herb/mining node in WoW, since they don't have 2 minute windows every 36 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    I am confused how people are "out" of content already. 3 new jobs to level and gear. The rest of the jobs all have at least 10 new levels and a few quests to do. There is the current raids which only a handful of people have even gotten anywhere in... not to mention ALL the stuff they had before that you can still do.

If you run out of stuff to do the only reason I can see for it is that you don't like the game or you play way to much.
    Grinding out the same content repeatedly to get max level doesn't appeal to many people. Before HW, I had 4 50s, I didn't feel like grinding out the same fates or dungeons to get everything else maxed. HW hit, I got MCH to 60 in 3 days, after I geared up I went to level alt classes again, after running the first dungeon several times, I was done with it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    Grinding out the same content repeatedly to get max level doesn't appeal to many people. Before HW, I had 4 50s, I didn't feel like grinding out the same fates or dungeons to get everything else maxed. HW hit, I got MCH to 60 in 3 days, after I geared up I went to level alt classes again, after running the first dungeon several times, I was done with it.
    Yeah, I'll agree that saying "You can still level every class to 60!" is a bit silly. I don't really count that as something on my to-do list, just as I don't count leveling every WoW class to 100 as something on my to-do list.

I don't get why people claim there's no content in FFXIV. I have too much content and not enough time to do it all.

I'd get it if we were talking about WoW. There I login 2 times per week to raid and that's it. There is no way for me to improve my character outside of the raiding schedule of my guild. In FFXIV I have tons of stuff to do on a daily basis as to improving my character, I haven't even started with professions yet because the time available for me just isn't there.

Sure if you play 16 hours every day there'd be no content but for me playing 3-4 hours ever day there's just no end in sight, and that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    Anyone else seeing something similar happening? I've seen the complaint here and there that there's nothing to do, and frankly, I canceled my sub since I don't want to deal with the headache that is savage. My two months of HW were mostly spent grinding my head against dungeons that I found boring after one go, and doing savage normal which, aside from the music, is just bad and monotonous.
    So let me get this straight ...

You are saying the game will fall because it suffers from the exact same thing that every mmo does? Every MMO xpac to drop has content for a few months, maybe months at best. Then they start dropping patches for new stuff. FFXIV is actually really good about big content patches compared to others. Since you came to the game late, they probably already had 2+ patches out so that would be why you never ran out of content. People like me who played beta and was 50 within days of launch can tell you we ran out of things to do, outside of raiding or alt jobs, within 2 weeks. Which is why a lot of people quit 2 months in.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Nowhere near appealing though. From lack of content they make every little action a chore to make it drain your time. Clearly the gathering ain't challenging or entertaining to you, it's an example of another awful casual friendly grind.

If only there were such a focus in the real world to neutralize rich and poor. Real world where it actually matters. Not the games where it is no doubt what would be the best non-casual friendly design allowing for real grinding and a real rewarding system.
    I'll admit I'm not a fan of the timed nodes. Would be far worse without teleports though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I tried FFXIV and HW, and while I can see why people like the game I realized it's just not my cup of tea. It does look like the end game gets more interesting than early game though. It's built up a strong core playerbase though and it will be around just like GW2. I don't think it's more in the brief hype category like some other mmo games were that will quickly fall (Aion, Rift, Warhammer, etc.).
    The game is actually really good if you are into raiding and working on alts.

Their system for jobs is really good. The flaw in it is that they force you into chain dungeon runs and fates to level. Since you won't have the quests after you do them the first time. So it's incredible tedious and boring but some people like that shit. For me, I couldn't handle it. I got my PLD to 50 and about everything else to 30ish for cross class stuff. Planned to do another to cap but just couldn't make myself.

However their raids were always good. They usually took a good amount of skill and even better memory trying to remember (or learn) the scripts since you have to know what's coming up or you will more than likely just die.

But other than that, yea you're right. Not a whole lot to do end game

Alright, I think we've gone off track for reasonable discussion on FFXIV's future prospects and fallen into WoW vs FFXIV and general outlook on the application of what is and isn't a grind in MMOs.

Going to close the thread now.