Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

High Elf and Highbourne Demon Hunters, would they exist?

much of the mystery behind demon hunters will be revealed soon, but there have been hints that Illidan started this order way back before the sundering , just like Malfurion started the druidic order back then

if this is really true, we could in theory have highbourne demon hunters right? and what about High elf ones? Illidan got cosy with the Blood elves whom he led till the events of TBC that had Kael switch full allegiance to the Legion, and the rest of the blood elves sever ties with both Illidan and Kael'thas. So, would any high elves have made it to demon hunter ranks, cos identifying yourself blood or high elf is just a political thing right, and blood elf meaning has changed since the birthing day of the group

I don't think Illidan has met any High Elf. They were exiled while he was still imprisoned. By the time he met them they were BE already. Not a lot of High Elf left after the fall of Quel'Thalas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    High Elven Demon Hunters wouldn't exist because Illidan was imprisoned for the vast majority of their civilization. He was freed from imprisonment in the events of Warcraft 3 - and met by Kael'thas and his Sindorei contingent soon afterward (which is where the Blood Elven Illidari members are derived from). Some of his earlier Night Elf followers may indeed have been of the Highborne of Suramar and Zin-Azshari, and may still consider themselves Highborne even today.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

And do you think Illidan would attract new demon hunters amongst the elves? and would some High elves choose to be demon hunters?

i guess it depends on the story, they no longer make Death knights do they?

I guess that he could meet with some of Alleria's splintergroup in some timey-whimey szenario. Highbourne are mostly Naga or Blood Elves now, aren't they? My WoW Lore Fu isn't that strong.

Some existing night elf demon hunters may be highborne, but it's unlikely, for the same reason you don't see many aristocrats in the army.

It is also very unlikely that any High Elves would have even met any demon hunters, least of all Illidan.

Deleted
    That's what Blood elves are

He's got a point Firespark, that is essentially what blood elves are, highbourne (thought technically highbourne descendants, the night elves view them as highbourne) and yes the blood elves are joining under very trying times, but then, so it was in the 250 years of war with the legion before the sundering, and you gotta say that the demon hunters are people really drawn to magic, like Illidan was, which is why it's such an elf thing.. which also surprises me why they don't have a ranged spec, wasn't Illidan also quite the magic user/arcane spell caster?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    High elf? Not a chance, none went to Outland with the blood elves, so none would have joined the Illidari. Highborne is possible as many night elves joined Illidan, no clue on weather it's limited to just normal though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    High elf? Not a chance, none went to Outland with the blood elves, so none would have joined the Illidari. Highborne is possible as many night elves joined Illidan, no clue on weather it's limited to just normal though.
    Not technically true, there are High Elves in Outland, the ones that were stranded there after the events of Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal. There wouldnt really be enough of them to ditch their friends and allies... but it is possible that he could have met some High Elves in Outland.

I would imagine they would all be highbourne - that is the crowd Illidan hung with, and they have his sort of mentality, which was the dominant one in those pre-sundering days.. I'm sure there would be none-highbourne night elves, but I would think it was largely that crowd, which is why he took such a shine to the blood elves, who in turn took such a shine to him.

As for high elves, no there would be none that would be demon hunters currently, unless off course some join up, that is not inconceivable unless we are only playing Illidari that Illidan sent away in TBC. In which case none will be high elves... I'm pretty sure that Illidan considers them all highbourne though.. Don't night elves consider the Shendre'lar, the high elves and the blood elves all highbourne

Deleted
    "High Elven" and "Highborne" are just political/social status designations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    "High Elven" and "Highborne" are just political/social status designations.
    Not completely.

High Elves are untainted by fel magic and for that reason have blue eyes.

Highborne had paler skin/hair and had a gift for arcane magic that the majority of night elves did not (with a notable exception being Illidan).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    High Elves are pretty much defined by their opposition to consorting with demons or Fel, whether implicitly or explicitly; I doubt any of them would've willingly taken up Illidan's banner considering he would just be seen as another demon to them. Even if a High Elf (perhaps one of the few stuck in Outland with Alleria and Turalyon) *did* join the Illidari they wouldn't remain a High Elf for very long - the presence and abundance of Fel energy would probably turn them into a Blood Elf in all but name in short order.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    High Elves are pretty much defined by their opposition to consorting with demons or Fel, whether implicitly or explicitly; I doubt any of them would've willingly taken up Illidan's banner considering he would just be seen as another demon to them. Even if a High Elf (perhaps one of the few stuck in Outland with Alleria and Turalyon) *did* join the Illidari they wouldn't remain a High Elf for very long - the presence and abundance of Fel energy would probably turn them into a Blood Elf in all but name in short order.
    Precisely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    Not completely.

Highborne had paler skin/hair and had a gift for arcane magic that the majority of night elves did not (with a notable exception being Illidan).
    all elves have an innate gift for magic... their race (without exception) is defined by there extreme magical affinity. the highborne who are night elves lets not forget, took mastery of the arcane to the highest level, and they were not the only group either in night elf society, just the most renowned because they were the Queen's elite, there were others like the Moonguard and other nobles would have had groups conceivabl. Not only that there would have been very talented spell casters not highbourne, like Malfurion, Havard may have the most intellectual talent amongst the universities in America as a collective, it doesn't mean the brightest student goes to Havard, nor does it mean theya re the only ones.

Night elves again show their magic astutenes when those that give up arcane magic become quite talented with druidic magic again rising to impressive heights.

So, take a possible scenario - if you were fortunate enough to be spotted by the queen you would have been embraced as highbourne, and your generations that bred talented spell casters.. but jsut like X-factor and the usic industry doens't have all the music talent that actually exists in America, so too, the highbourne did not have monopoly on all the magical talent, just the highest concentration of it, leading witht eh most cutting edge research.

one thing is sure, is they dfintiely had a talent for magic that overall was greater than any other sect of night elves.

I don't think I ever saw it mentioned that Highborne had paler skin, apart from those who became what we now know as High elves and later Blood elves.

The highborne were the most gifted with magic, but the way you say it sort of sounds like they were the only ones with a gift for the arcane, Azshara was smart.. doesn't story go that she basically handpicked the highborne.. something like every exceptionally talented night elf (by Elven standards bear in mind) she discovered she "knighted" .i.e. made into a noble, and the caste was called highbourne. I assume that thier offspring tended to be quite magical.. aferall you learn the thign and you can enhance your abilities, so chances are you would be quite better than others not as intensively trained from birth as you were, but she would keep doing that, it was an honour to be called up by the queen.. bu you can imagine not everyone would be spotted, .. Malfurion wasn't and look how talented he turned out to be, rival for Azshara herself. [but they haven't told that story, I assume he wasn't spotted, he could have been but declined or just dodged the tests or flown below radar .. afterall i doubt she use to force people to join, all of society next to worshipped her in way I think feels like they felt she was a step beneath the goddess herself, so it would have been quite the honour to join up, missing one would not have irked her.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    Not completely.

Not entirely true. Captain Varothen was a highborne and had barely any skill in magic. He looked the same as any Night Elf too. The Moon Guard was also not made of Highborne.

Deleted
    if high elves would become demon hunters they aren't high elves. the only difference between high and blood elves is the use of fel magic. which is only a small difference and in the end is only really a social status.

once a high elf would become a demon hunter they have used fel magic and would lose their high elf status.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Not entirely true. Captain Varothen was a highborne and had barely any skill in magic. He looked the same as any Night Elf too. The Moon Guard was also not made of Highborne.
    Varothen is more the exceptions than the rule, the highborne in general were bred to increase their magical affinity and as such have a better affinity than their night elf kin, sure some gifted individuals pop up in the general population from time to time, like those of the Moonguard or Illidan, but compared to the sheer number of capable arcane wielding highborne, they are insignificant.

OT

Highborne Demon hunters might exist, since not all demon hunters were imprisoned, like Feronas Sindweller, but it is quite unlikely, especially since the few remaining highborne isolated themselves in Eldre'thalas and high elves are even less likely, demon hunters are distrusted among blood elves, for their heavy use of fel.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2015-08-25 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    that's true, i keep forgetting that Varothen and similar were pretty much around, he was born into it most likely, and just ended up not being as talented.. besides who know what the cap on magically talented is?

if like music, you can have ben playing from near birth, but a person who started learning at 16 or 23 can be come as good at or even better than you in a few years.. meaning one of two things:
    1. there can be a ceiling or threshold point like a maximum level your race can reach at a thing, once you reach that level , the differences are really small then it's all about style and nuance, some styles will fit classical music and others jazz music better - you can substitute for divination magic and portal magic or arcane magic and nature magic.
    2. If you are not naturally talented at it, no matte rif you started learning at birth, you would never quite reach the same started as Mrs X even though she only started playing 5 years ago.

we can only compare magic to things like musical talent since it's not a real thing. but i wonder what the position is. Elves being of very high magical affinity, does that mean that most of them would have that magical ceiling on average higher than any other race, and also have more people talented at it than any other race, ..but could also mean that a much younger human that has amazing talent can in short few years be as good as the oldest highborne mage .. in terms of skill.

The difference ofc then becomes knowledge, the races capacity to remember information..if elves are better at remembering than humans because they have better memories, healthier bodies and genetically superior in that respect, than that will also play up to advantages, who knows how an immortals mind works too, are they savants that rmeember everything they've learned too.. and ofc having more knowledge and discovered ways of doing so a much younger and equally talented but far less knowledgeable mage would put you at a disadvantage.

Could that be the advantage say a blue dragon would have over an Elf, and a highboorne mage over a blood elf/high elf mage who is much younger and he in turn the advantage he would have over a human mage even though all 4 of these could be equally talented.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Varothen is more the exceptions than the rule, the highborne in general were bred to increase their magical affinity and as such have a better affinity than their night elf kin, sure some gifted individuals pop up in the general population from time to time, like those of the Moonguard or Illidan, but compared to the sheer number of capable arcane wielding highborne, they are insignificant.
    lol.. how did i know you would say that. I was half expecting Aquamonkey to do it. lolz.