Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Chimaera shot cleave range seems inconsistent

I got the impression that the range at which Chimaera shot can cleave another target seems really inconsistent. I can cleave the 2 Spirit Lodge training dummies, but when I try to cleave 2 mobs in an instance that look to be equally close together, I only see 1 shot fly and my MSBT only shows 1 hit, not 2.

So how does this cleave work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I got the impression that the range at which Chimaera shot can cleave another target seems really inconsistent. I can cleave the 2 Spirit Lodge training dummies, but when I try to cleave 2 mobs in an instance that look to be equally close together, I only see 1 shot fly and my MSBT only shows 1 hit, not 2.

So how does this cleave work exactly?

It was actually improved for (I think) 6.1 but it's still a tad bit inconsistent - I believe fixed mostly for cleaving onto smaller mobs from larger mobs and vice versa. On Gorefiend, for example, you can hit a trash mob in the center of the room while facing the east or left wall and it'll cleave onto the boss which is a HUGE cleave range - also has to do with the Gorefiend huge hit box.

There's not much you can do aside from hope that the mobs you're cleaving are close enough together that Chim Shot is cleaving.

Hitboxes are shitty.

A NPC has a basic hitbox(spell hitbox, not auto-attack hitbox) that is determined by their base-skeleton. A lot of mobs have upscaled skeletons, but their hitbox still stays the same. That is why if no external tampering is done(like Blizz did a bit of improvement with HFC bosses in a hotfix), 2 large monsters, such as Twin Ogron from Highmaul, need to be stacked right on top of each other for Chimaera to cleave.

A more simple answer is that different monsters have different hitbox sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Hitboxes are shitty.

A NPC has a basic hitbox(spell hitbox, not auto-attack hitbox) that is determined by their base-skeleton. A lot of mobs have upscaled skeletons, but their hitbox still stays the same. That is why if no external tampering is done(like Blizz did a bit of improvement with HFC bosses in a hotfix), 2 large monsters, such as Twin Ogron from Highmaul, need to be stacked right on top of each other for Chimaera to cleave.

A more simple answer is that different monsters have different hitbox sizes.
    "Fixed" by making zakuun bug out horridly making it almost unkillable 3rd or 4th week and at same time making chims to gore hit souls on mythic. A+ blizz, tbh I liked it before, had a higher skill cap getting chim cleaves but I'm not gonna complain now cause it makes hunters even stronger and gives us more raid spots nom nom.

Deleted
    Yea cleave works prety strange
    On mannoroth if i hit a add near boss who isnt in his red box sometimes chimaera wont cleave but if i hit the boss will cleave a add who is 10 yards away from the boss red box
    Barrage works in same way is not some base cone it can hit anything infront of you even who doenst show on your screen sometimes
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2015-08-28 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've found chim cleave to be pretty consistent in my experience. When you take hitbox variations into account getting the avg width is pretty simple. I found it rough initially where hitbox overlay is concerned i.e. gorefiends huge hitbox + spirits medium hitbox + souls normal sized hitbox + constructs etc. I screwed up on early pulls assuming cleaving off of gorefiend means it would automatically aim for the next largest hitbox or not cleave to assumingly far away souls but that is not correct as it would just go for the closest hitbox to the targeted hitbox. So in the end it was best to cleave off of spirit (med hitbox) as it would always cleave to the overlay of gorefiends hitbox rather than hitting gorefiend and it hitting someones soul. Easiest fight to understand avg chim cleave area was tyrant with her adds.
    Other than that you have the normal hitbox widening/delay when movement abilities are used by the target (similarthing happens with us when we disengage). Otherwise just QQ at your tank for not keeping them close xD

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i think Blizzard wanted it to be viable in raid encounters but with a small enough range to avoid wrecking the enemy team in arena

Quote Originally Posted by deatzh View Post
    "Fixed" by making zakuun bug out horridly making it almost unkillable 3rd or 4th week and at same time making chims to gore hit souls on mythic. A+ blizz, tbh I liked it before, had a higher skill cap getting chim cleaves but I'm not gonna complain now cause it makes hunters even stronger and gives us more raid spots nom nom.
    An annoying class mechanic does not inherently give the ability a higher skill cap..

Deleted
    Right now CS cleave is a bless from the gods, prior 6.2 it was a pain in the ass. it was hotfixed 1 or 2 weeks after 6.2 launch, they made it to scale based on hitbox, it still has a tiny range if mobs have standard hitbox but in bosses like mannoroth, archimonde, gorefiend, HFA or Xhul'horak CS cleaves like a truck

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mokuton View Post
    Right now CS cleave is a bless from the gods, prior 6.2 it was a pain in the ass. it was hotfixed 1 or 2 weeks after 6.2 launch, they made it to scale based on hitbox, it still has a tiny range if mobs have standard hitbox but in bosses like mannoroth, archimonde, gorefiend, HFA or Xhul'horak CS cleaves like a truck
    On GF you can't CS the boss or else it wrecks someone's soul. -_-
    http://re-lapse.enjin.com/
    Fri Sat 9PM-1AM EST
    13/13M
    US #1 Weekend Guild
    If you have what it takes, apply.

7+ Year Old Account
    To fix Chimera shot, it should have its width increased by at least 33%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazezoku View Post
    To fix Chimera shot, it should have its width increased by at least 33%.
    Lol. Why? 10chars

The net effect is pretty stupid. I was doing my weekly clear of Ulduar yesterday for Mimron's head and was experimenting with the cleave range of chimera which is very easy to observe in old content since chimera will one shot most non-bosses. The short version is that for non-bosses, some need to almost be standing on top of each other to get the cleave, while others can be a few yards away. And on bosses, you can cleave an add that appears to be 5+ yards away, sometimes, depending on the boss.

Why don't they just make it a fixed range, like "cleaves one other target within 5 yards of the target"?

It is a fixed range, but the threshold for where this "range" begins to be counted varies from boss to boss and mob to mob. This was already clarified, what's so unclear?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    It is a fixed range, but the threshold for where this "range" begins to be counted varies from boss to boss and mob to mob. This was already clarified, what's so unclear?
    Makes it feel(Its not, and easy to get used to) random on new bosses, sadly.
    But easy enough to get the hang of as ya learn fights, so eeeh

Quote Originally Posted by Niix View Post
    An annoying class mechanic does not inherently give the ability a higher skill cap..
    Before the change to some hitboxes (emphasis on some here) mobs needed to be on each others dicks before chim would cleave, timing chims so that the mobs would be stacked up could be gamed in order to actually get cleaves and made top parses stand out because they could significantly increase dps because chim is already such a large portion of our damage. This still happens on fights like mannoroth or partly archi but not as important on fights like hfa, xhul, soc, (to an extent velhari).

Quote Originally Posted by deatzh View Post
    Before the change to some hitboxes (emphasis on some here) mobs needed to be on each others dicks before chim would cleave, timing chims so that the mobs would be stacked up could be gamed in order to actually get cleaves and made top parses stand out because they could significantly increase dps because chim is already such a large portion of our damage. This still happens on fights like mannoroth or partly archi but not as important on fights like hfa, xhul, soc, (to an extent velhari).
    Well a lot of that is dependent on your tanks, not your own skill. Thus my comment.

It's not unclear, it's stupid. Some hit boxes have a radius of a few pixels, others are 10 yards, so your cleave range can vary from 5yards(?) of the center of a mob, to 15yard from the center of a mob with no particular rhyme or reason. The mechanic should be redesigned so that it is more consistent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Lol. Why? 10chars
    lol wat? 10chars?

But ya, its either that or have pro tanks that understand other class' cleave radius/width is important and thus try to keep things as tightly packed in as possible. Velhari is probably the most frustrating version of this, hands down.

If your trouble includes Velhari cleaving, then you don't need "pro tanks", you just need tanks that aren't complete spastics.

10chars is what you write to breach the 10-character minimum to make a forum post ("Lol. Why?" is not 10 characters long).