Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK Labour Front-Runner Jeremy Corbyn Suggests Women-Only Train Cabins to Stop Assault

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34059249

Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn has said he would consider women-only rail carriages to help stem a rise in assaults on public transport.

Mr Corbyn told the Independent he would consult women on the suggestion.

But the idea was attacked as outdated and unhelpful by his Labour leadership rivals Yvette Cooper and Andy Burnham.

And other critics, including Conservative women's minister Nicky Morgan, said it smacked of "segregation".

It comes after British Transport Police (BTP) figures suggested sex offences on trains and at stations had risen by 25% to record levels.

'Turning back clock'

Mr Corbyn said: "My intention would be to make public transport safer for everyone from the train platform to the bus stop to the mode of transport itself.

"However, I would consult with women and open it up to hear their views on whether women-only carriages would be welcome - and also if piloting this at times and [on] modes of transport where harassment is reported most frequently would be of interest."

According to the Independent, he said it was "simply unacceptable" that many females have to adapt their daily lives to avoid being harassed in public, including while using public transport.

The Independent said he would also call for a 24-hour hotline for reporting harassment and assault.

Rail minister Claire Perry suggested introducing women-only carriages was an idea worth considering in September last year. Compartments solely for females were last used on UK railways in 1977.

But a report last year for the Department of Transport, by Middlesex University, said bringing them back would be a "retrograde step" that "could be thought of as insulting, patronising and shaming to both men and women".

Mr Corbyn's proposal was seized on by his Labour leadership rivals, who said it would not help cut violence against women.
    Yvette Cooper said it would be "turning the clock back, not tackling the problem".

'Society-wide strategy'

Ms Cooper, who is calling for stronger laws to protect women from violence and harassment, added: "We shouldn't have to shut ourselves away from men for our own safety.

"The staff needed to enforce the segregated carriages should be keeping all the carriages safe instead."

Andy Burnham said: "In this day and age, we shouldn't be even considering the idea of segregated train travel.

"As a dad of two young girls, I want to see a proper society-wide strategy on tackling violence against women."

Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston, who chairs the health select committee, said women-only carriages "just normalise unacceptable attitudes".

She added: "In countries where women are segregated on public transport, this is a marker for disempowerment, not safety."

'Good idea'

Everyday Sexism campaigner Laura Bates also rejected the idea, saying on Twitter: "Women-only carriages suggest harassment/sexual violence is innate & inevitable so women's responsibility to avoid."

But journalist and Jeremy Corbyn supporter Rahila Gupta said: "If there is a demand and it makes women feel safe then it's a good idea."

Countries that have introduced train carriages only for females include Mexico, Japan, India and Indonesia.
    BTP recorded 1,399 sexual offences in 2014-15 in England, Scotland and Wales - up 282 on the previous year.

The force said the rise in sex crime figures was mainly because of a campaign to encourage reporting of these offences, which was launched in London in 2013 after a survey suggested that 90% of such attacks went unreported.
    So amidst a rise in number of reports of sexual assaults on public transport the front runner for labour leadership has suggested reintroducing segregation between men and women on public transport. Unsurprisingly his opposition for the position have leaped on this to portray him as an out of touch fool.

Do you think reintroducing segregation is a good way to curb sexual assaults?

Is it a way that feels strange, backwards and "out of touch"? Yes.

But would it actually put a pretty big halt on male-to-female sexual assault? Yes.

That's what you have to weigh in this kind of situation. On one hand, it would decrease risk of women being sexually assaulted by men in mass public transit, on the other it would feel weird and make every man feel like a potential molester and every woman feel like she has to be forced into a special place 'for her own good'.

So, ultimately, it just wouldn't work. Not many people would go for it and it would enrage too many people. Soon enough they'd just start mingling again and ignore the gender barriers and have some big "Reunion of the genders" and probably, I dunno, have a subway orgy or something.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2015-08-26 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it. It's not like it's forced and if it makes women feel safer at night/prevents sexual harassment I don't really get what the furor is about.

The whole 'it puts the onus on women' argument is rubbish though. Trying to deal with the root cause of crime and protecting people from crime aren't mutually exclusive. Society can do both.
    Last edited by Snorkles; 2015-08-26 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.

Deleted
    I don't see the point, surely you'd need to assign someone to the train car itself to stop men going in? At that point would it not make more sense to just put security on the train itself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I don't see the point, surely you'd need to assign someone to the train car itself to stop men going in? At that point would it not make more sense to just put security on the train itself?
    I'm thinking of a female conductor being in that train car to supervise only women coming into it. That, and video camera with a displayable screen in the conductor seat in the front of the train.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post
    I'm thinking of a female conductor being in that train car to supervise only women coming into it. That, and video camera with a displayable screen in the conductor seat in the front of the train.
    Right, but at that point surely it makes more sense to just hire security for the train? Like instead of having a conductor purely for that car, have someone who patrols up and down the train?

also a woman only cabin will just tell where the horny men to go.......

it;s like *Gun Free Zones* only people who obey it are the ones who will not do anything.......

also we need to be fair!

SO MAN CABINS WITH BEER AND SPORTS DEMANDED!

Right, but at that point surely it makes more sense to just hire security for the train? Like instead of having a conductor purely for that car, have someone who patrols up and down the train?
    The issue, I believe, is that weird guys have tendencies to do the whole "cop a grope quick while pretending you're just in close conditions", and probably don't care if they get caught after the face.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was the main thrust of the policy proposal - it's just there was a bit tacked on that some women have suggested they would like women only carriages and he said it's something he'd consider.

This whole thing can be boiled down to ''MP listens to women he has spoken with. People are not happy about it".

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he is an out of touch fool.

My friend who is a girl has a very nice figure, she is also adventurous so she decided to travel through Mexico alone. She got on the Mexico City subway, it was crowded to the point where she couldn't move and she was groped nonstop.

It's not only Mexico but any macho nation, Japan and India come to mind. Japan and India have all girl coaches.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It seems like pandering and little else. Men are often victims of assault upon various forms of public transport as well - both in terms of sexual abuse and physical violence. Many trains already have very little space available for people to be seated - adding another carriage that is only available to one gender will increase the cost and discomfort for travellers.

Why not just invest in having a trained security card patrol each train, especially at night? Such an initiative would go a long way towards creating a bunch of new jobs too - and it'd protect both genders rather than just one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It seems like pandering and little else. Men are often victims of assault upon various forms of public transport as well - both in terms of sexual abuse and physical violence.
    I can look after myself. Women can't generally against a man and shouldn't be expected to.

Either way, considering a fucking proposal is hardly radical.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I can look after myself. Women can't generally against a man and shouldn't be expected to.

How very condescending. Women shouldn't be expected to take their own defense seriously while simultaneously saying that you, a man, take your own defense seriously enough to not need help?

why should men be expected to take care of themselves and women not? and considering a proposal that dose not actually fix the issue isnt radical its just stupid

One's gender is irrelevant when it comes to stuff like this. Nobody expects to be assaulted or abused when boarding public transport. Yet the core issue is that it happens - but the main issue isn't addressed when the 'solution' is to treat one gender like they're delicate flowers to be sheltered and separated. It doesn't do anything to address the fact that men are also at risk of being assaulted or sexually abused on public transport.

Not all men are capable of defending themselves either - especially if the woman if stronger, larger or more violent than they are.

I'm not sure I give a crap about segregation, so long as it's optional. My only concern here is how much it will make my carriages busier by - if at all, and where the segregated carriages will be placed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post
    If it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.
    ... What? Of course it's still stupid, you just found the stupid solution.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    How very condescending. Women shouldn't be expected to take their own defense seriously while simultaneously saying that you, a man, take your own defense seriously enough to not need help?
    I weigh more, have more muscle tone and am faster than a typical woman. This is a fact. If you don't then you seriously need to work out.

Well, anyone who travels frequently by train in England will be well aware of how busy they can get. Usually to the point where there's nowhere to sit if you haven't reserved a seat if you're travelling on a popular route. Now, let's say women only carriages are added. Won't many women just use them for the sake of being able to have room and avoid the busier carriages? If so, why shouldn't men be granted the same luxury?

There will also be a cost if it goes forward - since each train will need to have a new carriage added or for an existing carriage to be added. Which...will end up pushing the already ridiculous ticket prices even higher than they are now.