Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    1. The basis of all of this, the stark rise in reported sexual offences, was due to an aggressive campaign to increase reporting of such crimes back in 2013. This comes directly from the agency that collects these statistics.

2. The proposal, intentionally or otherwise, panders to fundamental religious types. This particular candidate is known for his extremely strong religious views - very unusual in the UK for anyone, let alone a political leader, since it is one of the worlds least professed religious countries.

3. It creates a segregated society that simultaneously victimizes both sides and changes their perception everywhere else. If segregation is appropriate there, suddenly everyone will frame problems in such a light and therefore why not everywhere else? If it is appropriate between genders, then why not other profiles?

In short, it is an extremely dangerous, impractical yet insignificant idea (in terms of overall effectiveness) that has zero place in any open society such as most Western societies.

Deleted
    Let's face it, vegetarian, teetotal Arsenal supporters aren't to be trusted.

But its a trash idea. Segregation is retarded.

Segregation solves nothing, more barriers between men and women will simply create more mistrust.

Women-only cars are popular in Asia. I know they exist in Japan and India, at least. This isn't some enormous step backwards that his rivals are making it seem to be. Everybody seems to like them when they are put in place.
    Call me Cassandra

Deleted
    Instead of putting out the fire we'll just build a door and close it, there, if we can't see it then who gives a fuck.

Also, what's to stop a man just strolling into one of these carriages and assaulting women ?

They should be trying to tackle the issue, not avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I don't see the point, surely you'd need to assign someone to the train car itself to stop men going in? At that point would it not make more sense to just put security on the train itself?
    Do you need security for every bathroom, to keep men from going into the women's room? Not really, it is self-policed for the most part.
    Call me Cassandra

Pretty sure Japan do this still ( I accidentally bored a womens only carriage in Tokyo once. Luckily it wasn't at rush hour) where at rush hour times carriages become women only, because some salary men love copping a feel when the carriages are packed like sardine cans. I think it could work on certain services, and at certain times.

No matter how many people oppose this, I think it's good he has acknowledged a problem and suggested a change. Not many politicians here do that.
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    Women-only cars are popular in Asia. I know they exist in Japan and India, at least. This isn't some enormous step backwards that his rivals are making it seem to be. Everybody seems to like them when they are put in place.
    These are extremely patriachial or not open societies. There is no comparison.

Your argument is actually an excellent illustration of exactly backwards it is. Conveniently you ignore that this practice is done in dominant Muslim countries like Indonesia and repressive regimes in the Middle East and north Africa ...
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-08-26 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    The force said the rise in sex crime figures was mainly due to a campaign to encourage reporting of these offences.
    Comparing 2014-15 with 2013-14:
    Total recorded crime fell from 50,839 incidents to 46,688
    Sexual offences increased 25% from 1,117 to 1,399
    Criminal damage rose 1.9% from 3,298 to 3,361
    Theft of passenger property fell 16% from 14,353 to 12,039
    Robbery fell 17% from 436 to 358
    Fraud offences fell 18% from 457 to 374
    So basically the headline is false, Headline should be when sensationalism be kept intact:
    Sex offenses higher than expected.

If it actually increased than it would mean feminism caused increase in sexual harrasment :P

Their is no indication that it's actually increasing, comparing to the other statistics it's most likely decreasing.
    It was basically a feminist awareness campaign that caused it to increase. Maybe a group of feminist used the succesfull results of that for their govermental agenda. It could also be just the result of sensationlist news networks which politicians picked up.

Project Guardian launched in 2013 with the aim of reducing sexual assault and unwanted sexual behaviour on public transport in London, after a survey suggested that 90% of such attacks went unreported.
    This statistic I don't trust, 90%+ statistics used in several stuff from feminists as well, and when it's about gender wars it's just untrustworthy

----------

The solution given is morally wrong and also ironic considering woman fought to have it removed. It's like saying Black do more crime, (because they are statistically in the poor economic and social living,) thus we need we need to seperate them.

One also has to consider the costs. For most it will just be another option to get in a less busy wagon, similiar to first class. This woman only train cart will basically be like first class for the price of 2e class. This increased costs will basically be passed down to all the trainpassengers.

Another thing the cost for this could also be used for a guard, that will do much more as it will solve the other offenses as well which are much worse. Or an special standing wagon where one side is male other female.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34059249

So amidst a rise in number of reports of sexual assaults on public transport the front runner for labour leadership has suggested reintroducing segregation between men and women on public transport. Unsurprisingly his opposition for the position have leaped on this to portray him as an out of touch fool.

Do you think reintroducing segregation is a good way to curb sexual assaults?
    Can you please alter your misleading article.

He did not suggest anything of the sort.

He said it had been suggested to him, and he thinks it worthy of debate.

At least fucking read the info on the issues you post about.

Its not about segregation, its about creatign safe places because the world is not ideal and we have to take practical solutions where we can. Also, segregation is absurd, its optional, not enforced and even if ti went forward it would be on certain high risk routes at high risk times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    It was also suggested by a Tory minister at their party conference last year.

So all those people whining now.....why were they not whining a year ago?>

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    My friend who is a girl has a very nice figure, she is also adventurous so she decided to travel through Mexico alone. She got on the Mexico City subway, it was crowded to the point where she couldn't move and she was groped nonstop.

It's not only Mexico but any macho nation, Japan and India come to mind. Japan and India have all girl coaches.
    Why would you only mention the Mexico City subway, of all places, when your friend was groped? That happens on subways in the U.S. too, you know. Selective examples like that make the implication suspect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    Instead of putting out the fire we'll just build a door and close it, there, if we can't see it then who gives a fuck.

Also, what's to stop a man just strolling into one of these carriages and assaulting women ?

They should be trying to tackle the issue, not avoid it.
    This measure would not preclude tackling the wider issue.

But over here in reality, we dont have an ideal situation, nor a magic wand> you have to take practical solutions that protect people, whilst you try to solve the wider issues.

What you are suggesting is that you dont put fire doors in to protect the buildign from spread of fire, because you should not have buildings burn down in the first place. Sure in an ideal world no building catches fire, in the meantime those fire doors save lives by tackling the problem that does actual exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    It was also suggested by a Tory minister at their party conference last year.

So all those people whining now.....why were they not whining a year ago?>
    There was a thread on it, many people thought it was silly then as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    There was a thread on it, many people thought it was silly then as well.
    My sister works in a country where they have these things, she thinks they are brilliant.

She is a massive, and very outspoken advocate of equality, but also practical with it.

I asked her what she thinks of the reaction to this story, her language was....colourful! She cant understand how anyone who is in favour of protecting women and womens rights, can possibly be against at least discussing a measure designed to protect women. And I have to say I agree with her.

It may not be a solution to the underlying issues, but since we dont have a solution to that yet, the most important thing must surely be to ensure people are safe and feel safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    My sister works in a country where they have these things, she thinks they are brilliant.

She is a massive, and very outspoken advocate of equality, but also practical with it.

I asked her what she thinks of the reaction to this story, her language was....colourful! She cant understand how anyone who is in favour of protecting women and womens rights, can possibly be against at least discussing a measure designed to protect women. And I have to say I agree with her.

It may not be a solution to the underlying issues, but since we dont have a solution to that yet, the most important thing must surely be to ensure people are safe and feel safe.
    There are 1.32 billion rail trips taken by 1.75 million passengers in Britain per year, there were 1400 sexual offences. You can't reasonably expect a figure of zero sexual offences, so how much benefit will having female only carriages actually bring?

Instead of segregated carriages, have more security measures in place instead, as that is more cost effective due to it reducing other forms of crime as well and it doesn't inconveniece passengers.

Travelling on UK trains is already a relatively safe mode of transport, perhaps more information on rail travel is needed so passengers realise that, rather than measures to fix a problem that doesn't truly exist.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2015-08-27 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFDOOM View Post
    Why would you only mention the Mexico City subway, of all places, when your friend was groped? That happens on subways in the U.S. too, you know. Selective examples like that make the implication suspect.
    Probably because that's where his friend went...
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

So if white people claimed they didn't feel safe around black people, and wanted their own coach, would you be OK with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Deleted
    So, if the women-only cabins are to stop sexual assault, are women-only parking spots to stop women from assaulting our cars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So if white people claimed they didn't feel safe around black people, and wanted their own coach, would you be OK with that?
    As long as the white people got the shittier coach.

And no, segregation is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Is this an actual thing over there? I've been using public transportation all my life and never been harassed in any way, the only annoyances are the occasional drunk but they are only that, annoying.

The idea of protecting women by isolating them from men is.... repulsive, to say the least. It's the same ideology behind having them stay home, not allowing them to walk outside without a male relative or requiring them to hide themselves through clothing.

But yeah can't get my head wrapped around the idea of why you'd even need this in the first place but I guess countries differ then or something.