Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    LOL... maybe some were on the right track... but in this case, not even the ship's hull would protect the brain. It would require an artificial magnetic field.

Magnetic bubbles could shield astronauts from radiation
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...auts-radiation

There have been others looking into this as well:

Scientists Working On Shield To Protect Astronauts From Cosmic Radiation For Deep Space Travel
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientists...1.html#cOk9Rrs
    We're going to need shields in order to protect from alien blaster fire anyway, so two birds with one stone in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Not before they figure out how to stop bone density loss.
    This!

Also there is the sight problem. With fluids being evenly displaced in ur body your head get far more than usual blood pressure. Wich leads to the body lowering your total amount of blood to even it out. But even with less blood the pressure in the head is still higher than usual so your eyes takes a big toll over longer periods of time.

"That increased pressure of cerebrospinal fluid, which surrounds the brain, works its way down the sheath of the optic nerve and pushes on the back of the eyeball," Shelhamer said during his FISO presentation."

"This has really got our attention," he said, "because when you start talking about affecting the vision of astronauts, who are in high-performing, demanding environments, and those vision changes do not always correct themselves after weeks or months back on Earth, so you might be causing permanent damage — this is really a serious problem for us."

It appears to be the highest issue to tackle for a mars journey atm.

Tbh i think the only way we will ever be able to travel far in space is with an artificial gravity system. A ship spinning around to create a centrifugal force to act as a gravity for us. Problem is this whould require a pretty large spaceship.. and sending up large things in orbit is a big issue..

Deleted
    The human body isn't designed to live in microgravity. The station you lived on would have to have artificial gravity, or you'd be in deep shit after a couple years even with rigorous exercise every day, if you could even survive for that long. Also, cosmic rays would eventually wreak havoc on your body, as well. I think pretty much every single astronaut to date has had some eye issues because of cosmic rays.

I think all of humanity needs to move to space, and keep the Earth as sort of a wildlife preserve. We'll live in rotating colonies and have bases on other planets for resource extraction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Jesus, the ping would be horrendous. "WHERE WERE MY HEALS?" "Sorry mate, lagging a bit here."
    Stop calling me Jesus, I'm not the Messiah.

Deleted
    you already do

just on a planet

in space

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    you already do

just on a planet

in space
    Boring, that's what people in the 20th century did. The Earth has a far too small lasergun-to-hull ratio. Plus I can count on one hand the number of zero-G bar brawls I've been in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava Bucket View Post
    Boring, that's what people in the 20th century did. The Earth has a far too small lasergun-to-hull ratio. Plus I can count on one hand the number of zero-G bar brawls I've been in.
    And earth severely lacks in sexy blue-skinned women.

Like these:

Or these

Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just imagine advanced medicine leading to near immortality. Then you ask, what would you do with all that time? Surely you would want to die eventually?

Nah, just move from planet to planet terraforming each in turn gradually working your way out for your 10,000 year lifespan.

Deleted
    The novelty would wear off, yea it sounds cool to be in space or live on another planet but it would get pretty boring with more you get used to it. That's why I am not thrilled about the idea of possibly colonising Mars. Yea, having the human race spread out over more than earth would be an amazing achievement, but at the end of the day it would be like living on earth only shittier.

I pity anyone to be conceived on a planet like Mars, or just anywhere that isn't earthlike. Life would be so boring, and empty. Being locked in a dome which, if broken would kill you, at least here on Earth we have a strong atmosphere (for now at least) is not something I could just ignore.

Just because i would be living in space, doesn't mean i couldn't take vacations in Maui now and then.

If you want to live in a tiny dangerous metal box for the rest of your life, you can do that on Earth, in places called "prisons".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    i never want to live in space.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me 2, but id settle for underwater.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Me 2, but id settle for underwater.
    definitely don't want to live underwater.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    definitely don't want to live underwater.
    Nope. I don't want to deal with lunatic splicers and Big Daddies every where I go.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    When we get starships with Artificial Gravity and inertial dampeners that also have Warp drives, sure. Otherwise long stasis Voyage/colonization space travel? forget it.

I'd rather have terraforming tech before having ships that can fly past mars in only one direction.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Nope. I don't want to deal with lunatic splicers and Big Daddies every where I go.
    no i am afraid of deep water.