Page 1 of 3
LastLast

iPhone 6 vs Galaxy Note 5 - Why specs aren't everything.

Interesting video here. Enjoy:

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh, ok... What I'm seeing is there's an angry birds game that's better optimized for iOS. Everything else(for the most part) was essentially the exact same. Pretty poor test.
    I think you're missing the point though. It's about iOS' optimisation, memory usage and old versus new hardware. The test is actually very good, since it's not synthetic, but practical.

It's a classic example of "megapixel/mhz" marketing strategies. Higher clock speeds, more cores, more memory, but lower performance. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the hardware. It's the software that is incapable of working efficiently with the hardware at its disposal.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-08-28 at 11:09 AM.

Um, it's been known for years that iOS can operate smoother and better than Android depending on what's being done. A lot of apps are designed for iOS first, then ported to Android. More often than not, this creates apps that run butter smooth and fast on an Apple device, but might be buggy, jerky, or slow on an Android device. It almost always has nothing to do with the hardware, but how the OS and app itself are optimized. This is actually a selling point for Apple in that a lot of apps are designed for iOS from the ground up and generally run better on it. Add in the fact that Apple has done an outstanding job with optimizing its own OS with the hardware that is paired with it, and you generally get a pretty good user experience. And this is coming from someone who owns an Android phone and loves it (just got a Note 5 today, had a Note 4 before it).

Having said that, Android phones, from a hardware perspective, ARE more powerful and can generally bruteforce stuff better than an iPhone ever could. However, brute forcing stuff on a mobile platform isn't exactly ideal and usually doesn't help in the end. Optimization is much more important on this type of platform, and this is where Apple devices generally pull ahead. A lot of stuff on mobile doesn't effectively utilize quad-core and up processors like a lot of Android devices have in them. Most apps will only use one core and Apple does a good job of having fewer cores that are better built and optimized to run apps like this. Kind of like how games will run better on an Intel CPU because of their higher IPC compared to AMD CPUs.

It's also easier to develop and run an app on iOS devices because there are very few differences in the types of devices that you have to program and code for and they generally all run the SAME version of the OS. Whereas with Android devices, there are a million and one different devices and configurations to account for as well as different versions of the Android OS on top of it. For a developer, building for iOS is a much simpler task.

Having said all that, using an Android phone is NOT a terrible experience like some Apple diehards like to harp on about. I much prefer Android over iOS for phones. Android, for me, just works and feels better. I can do a lot more stuff with it and am not confined to what Apple says I can and cannot do. And I have yet to notice any lag or slowdown on either Note phone I've owned. They're both fast and responsive and when I compare them with my wife's iPhone 6+, I notice no difference between them. This is true for 99.9% of users out there. It just usually isn't that big of a difference to warrant a war between them. To each their own though.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2015-08-29 at 04:27 AM.

Using ONE game is hardly a conclusive test, and is a rather narrow minded view were it even proven with a wider variety.
    Performance is just one factor, which can have a variety of causes.
    Should we judge Mac vs PC on how quickly they launch Microsoft Word ?

There are many factors which will determine which phone is more suited to an individual.
    Performance in my view unless significantly hampering usage isn't one.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-08-29 at 04:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Note 5 with double tap home button for camera turned on and 1x animations... Right.
    (Double tap for camera makes the button wait for a while after being pressed before doing anything)

Same stupid test with an Exynos 5433 Note 4 and a iPhone 6:

See? And this is old, if it was done now with the Note 4 running 5.1.1 which is a very great FW release for it, difference would've been bigger.

Point is, this test by itself is very vague. You can turn Android animations at 0.5x or turn them off, switching between running apps happens literally instantly and honestly speaking by the time I'm waiting my iPad to end it's opening animation I can switch between 3 apps at my N910C...
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-08-29 at 04:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The video is beyond stupid. The whole reason the iPhone is winning is because the Samsung phone closes the app. They even mention it in the video. Android does this to save on battery power. If you go to developer options you can allow a certain number of background processes to be running. But Android does this to save battery but the reviewer counter claims this with "we all know how awesome iPhone battery life is".

Do some tests already. Put both phones against each other for a battery test and see how they fair. Don't be like "hurr durr iPhone battery gud". Also what's with the random applications they constantly open and close? Is that how they test phones? You know the phone market is getting harder to differentiate itself when when it comes down to random apps opening and closing.

Not sure what the OP is trying to prove with this thread. He was in another thread talking about how consoles are going to die and PC's will rule the gaming world soon. Now he's here posting stuff to show how amazing the iPhone is compared to a Note 5. Sounds like a fanboy if you ask me. And the sad thing is, he's not even proving anything with the shit he's saying/posting. Just a bunch of biased bullshit.

15+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of "Windows 7 is superior to Windows 8.1" threads.

OP, quit trying, they aren't going to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This test is so profound that I can manipulate any of the phones to win if I want. GREAT TEST.

Doing this stupid test with the Android devices properly set will make them win every damn lap, and it's still pointless.

Try leaving useful things running, and switch between them. Which is a much more reasonable daily usage.

Let's see from what I have here "running" at the background: WhatsApp, Chrome, Facebook, Youtube, 9GAG, Gallery, Wolfram Alpha, Calculator++.
    I can switch between them instantly. I have 500mb of free RAM.

Opening 40~ apps still leave me with 500mb of RAM. And while I do need to wait ~1 second to "restore" them, it's still ridiculously fast.

Quick video to show, using an old phone to record, quality is bad:

Last edited by Artorius; 2015-08-29 at 02:38 PM.

Ill take pure android over iphone any day
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Not sure what the OP is trying to prove with this thread. He was in another thread talking about how consoles are going to die and PC's will rule the gaming world soon. Now he's here posting stuff to show how amazing the iPhone is compared to a Note 5. Sounds like a fanboy if you ask me. And the sad thing is, he's not even proving anything with the shit he's saying/posting. Just a bunch of biased bullshit.
    Whoa, chill out. No need to get all aggressive buddy. I merely saw a video which I shared, that's all. You come here, call me a fanboy for no apparent reason and even distort a completely irrelevant post from a different thread.

First you write down something relevant and quasi polite, right after which you go al CoD-12-year-old-flaming-fatkid on me.

Now sit down, relax and breath. You don't want to risk a heart attack.

That said, I'm absolutely an iPhone fanboy. Yup, my Apple Lumia 830 is absolutely the reason I live.

The level of stupidity is baffling.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-08-31 at 08:21 AM.

Deleted
    Iphone!! just beause steve jobs invented it

10+ Year Old Account
    Both iPhone and Android phones are bad. There I said it, it needed to be said. Both are bad and should feel bad. If we had PCs that worked like this today we wouldn't stand for it. But yet it's perfectly fine how smart phones do it.

Firstly both Android and iPhone rely on app stores as the sole method for getting applications for them. Even though Android is less locked down about it than iPhone, you can't enjoyable use an Android device without Google Play. That's like buying a Windows or Mac PC and the only way to get software was through Microsoft app store or Apples app store. You would see riots in the streets from PC owners with pitch forks and sticks with fire. I really have to wonder why Europe hasn't forced Apple and Android phone manufacturers to allow competitors app stores to be installed? They're pretty good with that sorta thing.

Secondly both devices are locked down. YOU cannot do what you want with the device. You're limited to what Apple or Samsung will allow you to do or whatever manufacturer of phone you bought. Apple devices are pretty self explanatory, as without a jailbreak you're stuck within Apple's walled garden. Jailbreaking literally adds a repository system like on Linux. On Android practically all modern phones are bootloader locked and rooting may require you to void your warranty or risk bricking the device, depending on the device. As a Samsung S2 owner I was amazed how easy it was to install a custom rom, so I thought Samsung is the only company I'll ever buy a phone from. After S3 and up Samsung is pretty much hard locking their devices. BTW on PC if Microsoft and Apple did this we'd have Bill Gates and Tim Cook's testicles hanging off a pike.

Lastly Android sucks at updating and Apple won't share iOS. On PC nearly all OS's have constant update system but not Android. Even Ubuntu and other Linux distros have no problem with updates but Android which is also linux, doesn't? If you wanna know why Android has fragmentation, this is why. That and security holes that never get patched, cause no updates. Apple though doesn't exactly share iOS with other phone manufacturers. So in a way you need Android as a competitor. So what needs to happen is that someone needs to fork Android, like Cyanogenmod or OxygenOS. But that would cause unnecessary further fragmentation that Google could avoid by releasing a version of Android that does update the OS dynamically. But right now both Carriers and phone manufacturers like not updating phone software cause that's another bit of incentive to get you to upgrade. Both Apple and Android phone manufacturers like to prevent jailbreaking, rooting, and etc. Every iOS update is going to break your jailbreak. Every Android update is going to remove root from your phone. It's the only reason that anyone ever releases updates is to stop people from messing around with their devices. On PC if Windows or Mac OS X did this, you'd install Ubuntu in a heart beat. If Windows 8.1 users lost their start menu cause of a Windows update, and then nearly every update prevents you from installing a start menu. You'd freak out.

We need to stop with the double standards we have for phones and PC. I know people will tell me that I'm just a misery gut that expects too much of everything but F**KYOU! You know what'll happen if we stop expecting much? Two words, President Trump!
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-08-31 at 05:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Both iPhone and Android phones are bad. There I said it, it needed to be said. Both are bad and should feel bad. If we had PCs that worked like this today we wouldn't stand for it. But yet it's perfectly fine how smart phones do it.
    Smartphones are technically PCs. But they aren't "PCs". Average user don't know that they're literally the same thing.
    Most iOS users already find Android too much, if they knew how much more the damn system can do with a custom kernel they'd run away.

Firstly both Android and iPhone rely on app stores as the sole method for getting applications for them. Even though Android is less locked down about it than iPhone, you can't enjoyable use an Android device without Google Play. That's like buying a Windows or Mac PC and the only way to get software was through Microsoft app store or Apples app store. You would see riots in the streets from PC owners with pitch forks and sticks with fire. I really have to wonder why Europe hasn't forced Apple and Android phone manufacturers to allow competitors app stores to be installed? They're pretty good with that sorta thing.
    Simplicity is the answer, the phone needs to be straightforward and simple to use. Having one place with everything you'll ever want to have is great.
    Downloading .exes all over the internet works for PCs because that's how we've always been using it. And you can do the exact same thing with .apks if you want. Most app developers have their .apks at their websites. For iOs just give up, that's an app-launcher not an operating "system", only runs what's in the foreground and barely has any background capabilities. Apple locking it completely at their app store is something to be expected form the company. Their vision is that the user can't think too much, and sadly they aren't exactly wrong.
    Secondly both devices are locked down. YOU cannot do what you want with the device. You're limited to what Apple or Samsung will allow you to do or whatever manufacturer of phone you bought.
    Nah, Androids can do pretty much anything. iOs is designed not to let you do shit though.
    Apple devices are pretty self explanatory, as without a jailbreak you're stuck within Apple's walled garden. Jailbreaking literally adds a repository system like on Linux. On Android practically all modern phones are bootloader locked and rooting may require you to void your warranty or risk bricking the device, depending on the device. As a Samsung S2 owner I was amazed how easy it was to install a custom rom, so I thought Samsung is the only company I'll ever buy a phone from. After S3 and up Samsung is pretty much hard locking their devices. BTW on PC if Microsoft and Apple did this we'd have Bill Gates and Tim Cook's testicles hanging off a pike.
    Hmm, iOS lacks a lot as an operating "system". It's a decent app-launcher. Saying that it doesn't do things is irrelevant because people buying it don't want it to do things.
    Do you live in the US? The US had international S2s selling there. That's why you found it easy to install a custom ROM.
    International S3 (GT-I9300) is equally as easy, it doesn't even have a locked bootloader... I own one, but the US got a Snapdragon model.

My S3 is at 3 years without seeing any Samsung software at it, CM variants all the way up to 5.1.1. It was a long ride, and the device still has some great developers like JustArchi, Arter97 and Dhiru. I don't use it anymore though, don't know how things are going.

But well, whatever. Problem is that in the US all the carriers want to have their specific variant. Buy the international model and be happy.
    Note 2s were all Exynos.

S4, Note 3 and the S5 had snapdragon international models and they're all extremely popular devices at XDA. The Note 3 is the new S3, which was the most popular device to ever exist. (And it still is the most used Android device in the world to this day, damn you S3)

Note 4 has a Exynos international model, I also own one as you could see at my last post. Never really cared to root it. The phone is a complete beast out of the box.
    Lastly Android sucks at updating and Apple won't share iOS.
    iPhones would be great devices if they ran Android instead of iOS. And Android sucks at updating because Google decided to maintain it "open-source", they can't force (well, they can... But they aren't insane) the manufacturers to update all their billion different devices with a billion of different modifications.
    Android isn't like x86-64 PC operating systems that you can install in pretty much anything and it simply works. The same Android 5.1.1 made for a Nexus 9 will hard-brick your Nexus 6 if you try to flash it. It's much more tied to the hardware. You can't update them all with one single update, there's device specific code.

On PC nearly all OS's have constant update system but not Android. Even Ubuntu and other Linux distros have no problem with updates but Android which is also linux, doesn't? If you wanna know why Android has fragmentation, this is why.
    Device specific code. iOS only updates the way it does because there are only half a dozen of devices and Apple controls them all.
    Google can't do anything unless they lock the OEMs, and honestly speaking they should be more strict.
    That and security holes that never get patched, cause no updates. Apple though doesn't exactly share iOS with other phone manufacturers. So in a way you need Android as a competitor. So what needs to happen is that someone needs to fork Android, like Cyanogenmod or OxygenOS. But that would cause unnecessary further fragmentation that Google could avoid by releasing a version of Android that does update the OS dynamically. But right now both Carriers and phone manufacturers like not updating phone software cause that's another bit of incentive to get you to upgrade. Both Apple and Android phone manufacturers like to prevent jailbreaking, rooting, and etc. Every iOS update is going to break your jailbreak. Every Android update is going to remove root from your phone. It's the only reason that anyone ever releases updates is to stop people from messing around with their devices. On PC if Windows or Mac OS X did this, you'd install Ubuntu in a heart beat. If Windows 8.1 users lost their start menu cause of a Windows update, and then nearly every update prevents you from installing a start menu. You'd freak out.
    Open-source operating system will always have fragmentation. Good thing that Google's been tying functionality to the apps instead of the system itself, that way we have more things that look exactly the same at any device.
    CM isn't the answer for anything, it's still mainly just a way to give old devices a little longer life-spam. And to replace a shit OEM interface with some clean stock love. The S-Pen bought me, at a phone like the Note series where you really do have extra functionality, the fact that Android is highly customizable is a blessing.
    Whatever, I don't really have much to complain about Android itself right now. Most problems come from OEMs modifying too much and not keeping up with updates later. But still, devices are expected by Google to be updated for at least 18 months. I agree that this is not enough, but it's still something.

It's a nightmare to develop for it though. Sometimes you'll end up with things working differently for some device families and you simply don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Nah, Androids can do pretty much anything. iOs is designed not to let you do shit though.
    If you root your phone, yes. Which is the same as jaibreaking, which in turn will allow you to do everything with your iPhone. So Duke is right, both phones have a locked OS, but both can be opened up with a workaround.

I've had an android phone and quite frankly, I thought it was a messy, counter intuitive os. Hospital switched to a complete Apple environment a few years ago, so my work phone is an iPhone 6, a great phone with no drawbacks as far as I can tell. As a result, I decided to give Windows phones a shot for personal use and I have to say the Lumia 830 is simply amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    If you root your phone, yes. Which is the same as jaibreaking, which in turn will allow you to do everything with your iPhone. So Duke is right, both phones have a locked OS, but both can be opened up with a workaround.
    Nah, out of the box Android is more capable than jailbroken iOS. And root by itself isn't that much, what makes the system ridiculously ridiculous when it comes to random things that you can do are custom roms and custom kernels. Which aren't exactly things that the average user is going to be using but whatever. If someone needs something very specific to be done, he/she can do it.
    I've had an android phone and quite frankly, I thought it was a messy, counter intuitive os. Hospital switched to a complete Apple environment a few years ago, so my work phone is an iPhone 6, a great phone with no drawbacks as far as I can tell. As a result, I decided to give Windows phones a shot for personal use and I have to say the Lumia 830 is simply amazing.
    I have an iPad for tablet and a Note 4 for phone, using both systems in a daily basis is good because you can clearly see what's getting done better at each. Android went from something very ugly and sluggish to something pleasant to look and responsive. iOS came from something completely lacking at it's capabilities to something satisfying for the average use. They both improving themselves at the competitor's strong point, which is good. But Google's getting better at it's weak points way faster than Apple.

MS wants hard to kill the "no apps for WP" problem by giving full Android support at it, it's a mess right now but lets believe. I really want it to work, WP has a great power management and the ecosystem seems really nice.

Nah, out of the box Android is more capable than jailbroken iOS. And root by itself isn't that much, what makes the system ridiculously ridiculous when it comes to random things that you can do are custom roms and custom kernels. Which aren't exactly things that the average user is going to be using but whatever. If someone needs something very specific to be done, he/she can do it.

I have an iPad for tablet and a Note 4 for phone, using both systems in a daily basis is good because you can clearly see what's getting done better at each. Android went from something very ugly and sluggish to something pleasant to look and responsive. iOS came from something completely lacking at it's capabilities to something satisfying for the average use. They both improving themselves at the competitor's strong point, which is good. But Google's getting better at it's weak points way faster than Apple.

MS wants hard to kill the "no apps for WP" problem by giving full Android support at it, it's a mess right now but lets believe. I really want it to work, WP has a great power management and the ecosystem seems really nice.
    A jailbreak isn't that much either. I don't do it because a. Why would I? and b. It's my business phone. Nevertheless, a jailbroken iPhone barely has any limitations worth mentioning as far as I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    A jailbreak isn't that much either. I don't do it because a. Why would I? and b. It's my business phone. Nevertheless, a jailbroken iPhone barely has any limitations worth mentioning as far as I know.
    Rooting allows you to modify files in your OS while jailbreaking does that and adds a repository system. Unfortunately the repository system is mostly used for piracy, but you can get emulators for it. Apple has a policy that doesn't allow emulators on their app store, while Android does. XBMC or now it's called Kodi can only be installed through a jailbroken device. Other than that, jailbreaking doesn't do a whole lot nowadays since Apple implemented a lot of functions into the OS. Just to get unauthorized apps or piracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Rooting allows you to modify files in your OS while jailbreaking does that and adds a repository system. Unfortunately the repository system is mostly used for piracy, but you can get emulators for it. Apple has a policy that doesn't allow emulators on their app store, while Android does. XBMC or now it's called Kodi can only be installed through a jailbroken device. Other than that, jailbreaking doesn't do a whole lot nowadays since Apple implemented a lot of functions into the OS. Just to get unauthorized apps or piracy.
    Yeah, pretty much this. I had Jailbreak at an iPod touch only to play some Gameboy Advance games. Apart from pirating stuff it isn't exactly useful.

I also never rooted my current phone, I don't see a need for it. S3 is there as a guinea pig for me to try random stuff though.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-09-01 at 04:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, pretty much this. I had Jailbreak at an iPod touch only to play some Gameboy Advance games. Apart from pirating stuff it isn't exactly useful.

I also never rooted my current phone, I don't see a need for it. S3 is there as a guinea pig for me to try random stuff though.
    I root my phone to put a custom rom on it. First thing I do with any new phone I get. Also there's some apps that I like that need it. Titanium, System App remover, Faster GPS, and etc.