10+ Year Old Account

My Shadow Priest DPS

Hi Team,

I'll start off by saying I have played my mage for basically 10 years in this game, and I recently switched to my SPriest because my guild needed one. This is my basically first tier of actually playing one ever. I have always been a very high parsing mage, and I really enjoy my shadow priest it is a majorly different play style than what I am used to, but I can not put up the same caliber of play style as I do on my mage.

My guild recently ran an alt run, and for my item level range, on my mage, I was in the top 90% to 98% on every fight I did with that being the first time I've stepped into HFC on my mage. I needed to see if i just lacked the skills of what I used to have after playing my priest. My priest though I feel like I'm doing well, I'm not remotely close. I'm sitting around the +/- 30 to 60% range for my item level. So I know I have a lot of room for improvement. I have compared logs, over and over trying to understand what I am doing wrong, I am just unable to figure it out. I track my orbs very closely, I don't think I'm ever wasting orb potential except I may hold onto them for a bit when I am set up to good VE. I track my dots very well. I wont put VT on a target unless I know it'll last its full duration, I don't know if that is the right way to go or not. Can anyone help me possibly understand what I may be missing or what I'm doing wrong?

My Priests armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...shadows/simple
    Recent Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/1B7GbFyt32XPAHqC
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RjQ93NCvyhLxrw68

Thank you,
    -Bopcommander

Kind of off topic, but why would your guild need a shadow priest? They have some nice niche fights in HFC (Council being the best and Xhul'horac coming to mind) but if your main is a mage, they are far better on almost all the fights. If you're better at your mage, you should just play that instead.

It's possible that they needed a pocket healer offspec.

It's also possible that they perceive some weakness in ranged spread-cleave that can only be addressed via priests.

It's also possible that they are just trying to spread the class balance and gear collusion.

I actually agree that if you're that good on your mage, moving to a priest will probably not accomplish anything.

Anyway...

My opinion of priests is that they are a "level 9" on a 10-point difficulty scale, while mages are somewhere around a 6. The reason you aren't getting the ranks you expect is that there is a massive disparity between gear, skill, and play styles that must take place before you can start to reach it. I am not sure that this learning curve exists to the same degree on mages.

Take that however you want - a challenge, a deterrent, or whatever.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

First off on mythic hellfire assault theres a couple of places to improve
    1) Your premonition (4 set) uptime is only 37%. I think max possible is 75% so you need to use shadow fiend more often. The fiend itself will do more damage and the MS buff is very strong that you lose out on.
    2) Your SW:P uptime seems low unless you have downtime between spawns. As a general rule I'd SW:P the berserkers, felcasters, engineers and vehicles. Try not to let it drop off.
    3) You could have cast a few more mindblasts. (14 or so) You also need to be better at sniping SW's. Ours got 13 more than you on a similar length fight.
    4) Finally, mindbender > Insanity here imo. You spend too many GCD's channeling where you could just be dotting and pumping DP's into prio targets.

Can't really comment too much on the other fights. I suspect on council / kilrogg its if you get fixated / go to the other realm. All I'd advise is try to make sure you have a full bank of orbs and Dot's rolling when the ring comes up. Sure we can't line Cd's up with it but every little helps.

Edit: On assault you wasted 26 orbs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=1&spell=113
    Council you wasted 23. It's place to improve too I guess.
    Last edited by Deja Thoris; 2015-08-29 at 04:14 AM.

I made a account to help you but can you add me on Btag? Kawaiilol#1973 I found a lot you can improve on. Way too much variable things to explain on here cba to type an essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    First off on mythic hellfire assault theres a couple of places to improve
    1) Your premonition (4 set) uptime is only 37%. I think max possible is 75% so you need to use shadow fiend more often. The fiend itself will do more damage and the MS buff is very strong that you lose out on.
    2) Your SW:P uptime seems low unless you have downtime between spawns. As a general rule I'd SW:P the berserkers, felcasters, engineers and vehicles. Try not to let it drop off.
    3) You could have cast a few more mindblasts. (14 or so) You also need to be better at sniping SW's. Ours got 13 more than you on a similar length fight.
    4) Finally, mindbender > Insanity here imo. You spend too many GCD's channeling where you could just be dotting and pumping DP's into prio targets.

Can't really comment too much on the other fights. I suspect on council / kilrogg its if you get fixated / go to the other realm. All I'd advise is try to make sure you have a full bank of orbs and Dot's rolling when the ring comes up. Sure we can't line Cd's up with it but every little helps.

Edit: On assault you wasted 26 orbs.
    Council you wasted 23. It's place to improve too I guess.
    Yikes... Hellfire Assault isn't a real fight. At this point there's easily over 1 minute of downtime where there is nothing to attack. I would start from Iron Reaver and work on your positioning so you rarely have to move and continue casting MB/Flays.

Council you should be able to be top DPS even if you don't get Fel Rage, but try and get at least 6m dmg into Gurtogg and 14-16m on Blademaster, all the while keeping 2 dots on Dia.

I could dive in further but I feel your pain and Kailee is right, there is a big curve on Shadow versus other Classes because of the creativity and talent choice options it offers.

Strebla
    Addiction - Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Narbert View Post
    Yikes... Hellfire Assault isn't a real fight. At this point there's easily over 1 minute of downtime where there is nothing to attack. I would start from Iron Reaver and work on your positioning so you rarely have to move and continue casting MB/Flays.
    Sure there is https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...one&source=137
    Why did you only manage 15 seconds or so downtime then?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Sure there is.
    Why did you only manage 15 seconds or so downtime then?
    It's a junk fight, each week the downtime gets worse and worse.

If you're having trouble keeping your pet on CD make a weak aura or TMW to shake and scream at you if it's off cooldown