Thread: Mage or Hunter?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    A good Mage does stuff that benefits the raid and you will never get told about it. I'll give you an example on Reaver and it will not show up in any log

Lots of classes can soak an Artillery shot, but how many can remove it from the fight? Ice Block removes it from the fight not with just a soak, but an immune. That means
    1. They didn't move to the edge of the room like most classes so lost no DPS
    2. The Artillery never cleaved anyone in the raid because it never hit the intended target.

Depending on difficulty/progression that can quite easily save people from death.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Hunter is the most desired ranged atm, both in pugs and guild groups alike
    There's also a million of them. A good mage is far more desired because hunters are everywhere.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Mage.. just because they don't have a retarded pet that people forget to click off

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    well pre cata i would choose mage coz hunters were a mess. now both rocking hell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    have more impact on the raid assuming you're given 'jobs.'

That misconception is probably there because more people play hunter than any other class. That creates the illusion to pugs that hunters are the "most useful". It just has most players and as a consequence most players that once were useful.

It's also absurd how people think hunters are "obligatory" in some fights. e.g. Soc doesn't need hunters for ghosts, locks are probably better but everyone thinks hunters are, or Archimonde doesn't really require hunters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Soc doesn't need hunters for ghosts, locks are probably better but everyone thinks hunters are, or Archimonde doesn't really require hunters.
    hunters are by far the best class for kiting mythic shadowling things. they lose little damage and can easily cc it until the robot takes care of it in p2. i see little benefit in letting a lock kite them. unless youre talking about the ghost in p2 in which case LOL wat, no one is even claiming hunters are even the best for that.

you dont "need" any class for anything save mythic blast furnace, nothing besides that "requires" any class, no one is saying that. But having a class that excels in that specific area will increase the group's chance of success.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real homie View Post
    hunters are by far the best class for kiting mythic shadowling things. they lose little damage and can easily cc it until the robot takes care of it in p2. i see little benefit in letting a lock kite them. unless youre talking about the ghost in p2 in which case LOL wat, no one is even claiming hunters are even the best for that.

you dont "need" any class for anything save mythic blast furnace, nothing besides that "requires" any class, no one is saying that. But having a class that excels in that specific area will increase the group's chance of success.

I'm talking about pugs. Mythic teams can do various novel setups anyway. It's generally naive to automatically assign a class to do a job if that particular person is clueless.

Hunters are boring and ugly

Like many people have mentioned here previously. Both are great damage and both can be assigned to certain niche jobs, although it is much more likely that you will receive more jobs as a hunter than mage.
    But you have to play the class that you love and enjoy the most, otherwise PvE content can become quite boring and unenjoyable.

I've had a lot of guild members stop playing this tier due to not loving their character - hunters seemingly being affected by this the most. But it happens to all classes at different stages. You won't love raiding if you don't love the toon you play.

Deleted
    I think it's a very interesting subject that people think hunters have more utility technically when that's not the case or it's not the case in various bosses.

I believe these factors affect that misconception very much:

1) Most players in the game play hunter so they are more 'known' in general. It's just easier to learn what hunters are doing around you, what they are useful for, since they are so damn more. It might explain why for some jobs some say "only get hunters" when it's blatantly wrong, e.g. locks are often better for ghosts in soc.

2) This is more subtle but I believe it's true: Different characters of real people get different classes. Mage are picked by more introvert and selfish people because they are "magical and powerful" and that tends to draw such people into that. Hunters are mainly picked by more conservative people, because, well, 'hunting!'.

3) Mages are often clueless about some of their specs because they were traditionally only for pvp or for some other job. That was true about frost until recent expansions. I don't know if hunters have something similar though.

Those factors, and especially the first two affect greatly how most players will treat hunters and mages in raiding in whole. It will be much easier to get hunters by default. But I think in involved raiding like a tight mythic raiding team those things are largely irrelevant and the two classes can be both very powerful at times.

both are good and highly desired PvE classes , they are always in demand,

if u are not confident with ur skills i would recommend going hunter since it is easier to play, can move freely without suffering much dps loss.

Mage could do the same but u need to learn how to use ice floes talent properly in order to achieve that, which can be a potential problem. And in some fights in HFC like fel lord zakuun/ xhulhorac u will need to drop the ice floes talent for evanesce to do mechanics, losing the ability to cast while moving.
    Last edited by JIMM-; 2015-09-01 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I have always preferred mage to pve with, hunter is just so boring to me except for pvp.

Hunters are mainly picked by more conservative people, because, well, 'hunting!'.
    Actually thats the reason I rolled hunter back when wow came out. Because I love hunting.