Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    The Timeless Isle is a prime example of why no flying sucks, as the following picture illustrates:

Suppose you just beat the Celestials (Blue Cross) and intend adventuring to Ordos. (Yellow Cross) You can not just waltz to him (green dotted line)

You have to go the OPPOSITE direction and do many zig-zag turns, traversing almost quadruple the distance between you and Ordos, whilst being repeatedly stun-charged along the way by Burning Berserkers.
    This is an excellent observation. It's things like this that make it so that I just can't understand why someone would want no flight. It's absolutely mind boggling the stupidity of it all. I can literally feel IQ points being lost reading anti-flight rhetoric.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Yeah...why stop there? Why not just have instant teleport? Better still just bypass the game content altogether for fear something might be challenging enough to be interesting.
    Right there is a person who doesn't even understand flight beyond the mechanics. Another Seurot who focuses on the dots, itself. -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I don't think this is "rarely noticed". Tripping over terrain and doubling/tripling/quadrupling back on yourself stops being "targeted exploration" after the umpteenth time. And this point has been raised since the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    See here's the problem though. Complicated designs with hills and valleys and canyons make places... visually interesting as opposed to having flat zones, like Vanilla or Burning Crusade.

So Blizzard, like I've said from the whole start of this silly "debate," should just design zones AROUND flying. Easy peasy, problem solved. So you get nice looking zones AND aren't needlessly encumbered.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This is an excellent observation. It's things like this that make it so that I just can't understand why someone would want no flight. It's absolutely mind boggling the stupidity of it all. I can literally feel IQ points being lost reading anti-flight rhetoric.
    Because path of least resistance and instant gratification are not everyone's idea of fun? I can literally feel my IQ dropping from people's inability to understand.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Right there is a person who doesn't even understand flight beyond the mechanics. Another Seurot who focuses on the dots, itself. -_-
    To be fair, that is the image many "pro-flight" people give. Most arguments I've seen are either very personal-taste (like yours of taking screenshots of the sky) or absurdely close to plain confirmation bias.

It's the first time I've seen someone complain about the issue OP mentions. It certainly didn't affect me and doesn't feel very different from any other expansion. I enjoyed all of the zones, including Tanaan, and don't find anything unreasonable about their design. They're visually interesting and unique, they tell their own separate stories and are filled with things for most of the terrain. Just missed some more max-level questing in them.

I do agree that, as they had intrduced flying for so long, they shouldn't just remove it. But the new system, with some tweaks perhaps (would be better a 6.0 or 6.1 pathfinder than a 6.2, but that might change in Legion. In WoD they simply didnt prepare the world for flight) is the most reasonable solution for both sides/tastes of the question.

What we need is balance. They can limit flying long enough to make interesting ground-level content, and still have zones reachable only by flying for when we do unlock it, like before WoD.

Just stop pushing for your taste only and resorting to extremism. Chances are the majority of people don't share your personal taste. Respect and be mindful of that.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2015-08-30 at 06:08 PM.

Whatever little tiny bit that slows you down (besides actual challenging content) is a win for Blizz.

Maybe you should...yah know...watch where you're going...

More proof that this is a terrible player problem and not a game problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Explore the area, find the routes, it's more emersive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Only thing worse than an unclimbable terrain is pixel-perfect climbable terrain. One time it works just fine, the other it does not work no matter how hard you try.
    I share Esubane's view, and it's exactly why struggling with Warlords maps is the opposite of immersive for me. I used to hike, before health problems meant I couldn't. I know from experience what it's like making your way through terrain that has few good routes, like the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California. One of the key things is that there are visible differences between viable routes and unviable ones. But WoW art is simply not at that kind of resolution, and particularly not on the minimap and world map. Without the clues available to careful observers, a significant portion of exploration in Warlords is just pixel-bitching, where there's no in-game reason to favor one identical ridge from the next.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Like they had in MoP? MoP's model was and still is terrible
    The usual hyperbole and blah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Just stop pushing for your taste only and resorting to extremism. Chances are the majority of people don't share your personal taste. Respect and be mindful of that.
    Point is, my taste doesn't affect anyone else. A person who wants to just ride land mounts, nothing stops them to do just that. But a lot stops a person wanting a nice terrain free sky shot.

It's not your preference perhaps, but take your own advice about extremism and not force one-size-fits-all on everyone. Again nothing keeps land mount players using their land mounts if the game isn't tuned just for flight, after all.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

L2Steer.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Explore the area, find the routes, it's more emersive.
    that's subjective though. I find flying more immersive. Simply because I can get lost in the scenery from above rather than be forced into the shit Im forced to on the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Point is, my taste doesn't affect anyone else. A person who wants to just ride land mounts, nothing stops them to do just that. But a lot stops a person wanting a nice terrain free sky shot.

It's not your preference perhaps, but take your own advice about extremism and not force one-size-fits-all on everyone. Again nothing keeps land mount players using their land mounts if the game isn't tuned just for flight, after all.
    the hilarity of the anti-flyers is they wont ignore their flying mount. Nobody is forcing them to use the flying mount but they will anyways. Pathetic argument they have when they themselves will use it once it becomes available.

All I know is...

I'm glad I never have to step foot in gorgrond again, and when I choose to it will be when flying is available.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Because path of least resistance and instant gratification are not everyone's idea of fun? I can literally feel my IQ dropping from people's inability to understand.
    OK. I'll bite. I'll drop this down to sub 100 IQ for you. I'll fly up to Ordos. You saddle up, run around, and take the scenic route. And while we're on the subject of IQ, thanks for showing yours by ending a statement with a question mark -- the indelible sign of stupidity on the internet.

Get it? Most likely not. But this is where the IQ points start dropping for me, because I willingly choose to engage in conversations with people on here, that in real life would be below my social standards worth my time.

So, au revoir!

The zones are designed correctly for like the first time to be interesting to traverse on the ground, and people complain? The geography is why the leveling was so awesome more than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 'geography' was abysmal imo, some of the worst designed in wows history and the only expansion we've not been able to fly. How did they get it so wrong That being said, the staleness of the actual world content is a far bigger problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    I would think these type things are done to hinder bots, as far as the things that you bump into and making it harder to find paths.

I very much doubt it. I believe it was a combination of new novel artistry, lack of resources to refine it and perhaps new clumsy devs into the team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    The zones are designed correctly for like the first time to be interesting to traverse on the ground, and people complain? The geography is why the leveling was so awesome more than anything else.
    Too you. I spent a lot of time making videos and screenshots of sky scenes in game, as that's important to my character.

Until the terrain actually becomes THE LIGHT, that light is in the stars above the terrain (not below the Light Hope Chapel like a catacomb).

Dang, Blizzard doesn't even get symbolism. -_-

Exploration is fun. Being stopped from climbing a hill and getting to the prize by a TWIG is not.