Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboard View Post
    Exploration is fun. Being stopped from climbing a hill and getting to the prize by a TWIG is not.
    Too bad. That comes with no flying. Either zones are flat and boring, or they're geographically interesting but hard to move around on on foot.

Like Storm peaks. storm peaks is a beautiful zone. Storm peaks is a BIG zone. Storm peaks sells "mountainous" better than any other zone in the game. (Sorry, Kun'lai isn't mountainous, it's a zone with a mountain in it.)

But if you had to navigate Storm Peaks on foot? Yeah, no. It would have been one of the most reviled zones ever.

However, Blizzard, being the smart guys they are, wisely made it so you could, nay, HAD TO, fly to traverse the zone, and designed their quests and points of interest around flying.

People saying flying "ruined WoW" have absolutely no perspective. Flying has been in the game since BC. So unless you're contending BC "ruined the game," and that BC, WotLK, and Cata and MoP were all "terrible because they had flying," well... it's safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Point is, my taste doesn't affect anyone else. A person who wants to just ride land mounts, nothing stops them to do just that. But a lot stops a person wanting a nice terrain free sky shot.

It's not your preference perhaps, but take your own advice about extremism and not force one-size-fits-all on everyone. Again nothing keeps land mount players using their land mounts if the game isn't tuned just for flight, after all.

They can choose not to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Too bad. That comes with no flying. Either zones are flat and boring, or they're geographically interesting but hard to move around on on foot.
    And that's why I haven't been playing. If it's not fun I don't do it. When flying returns on tuesday(maybe) I'll see if it's fun again.

I noticed it A LOT. I have 10 lvl 100s. Going for some of those treasures you have to find just the right spot to jump, climb, etc. I was swearing my ass off a lot. I usually play on a laptop and the keyboard isn't really made for jump games.

I find it TERRIBLE design. I won't buy Legion until I see what it is like in Beta. If it is WoD 2.0, I am done with WoW. I don't mind no flying, but take away all the stupid jumping crap. If I wanted that type of game, I wouldn't be playing WoW.

You people are so full of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a problem with the terrain.

10+ Year Old Account

Like Storm peaks. storm peaks is a beautiful zone. Storm peaks is a BIG zone. Storm peaks sells "mountainous" better than any other zone in the game. (Sorry, Kun'lai isn't mountainous, it's a zone with a mountain in it.)

But if you had to navigate Storm Peaks on foot? Yeah, no. It would have been one of the most reviled zones ever.

However, Blizzard, being the smart guys they are, wisely made it so you could, nay, HAD TO, fly to traverse the zone, and designed their quests and points of interest around flying.

People saying flying "ruined WoW" have absolutely no perspective. Flying has been in the game since BC. So unless you're contending BC "ruined the game," and that BC, WotLK, and Cata and MoP were all "terrible because they had flying," well... it's safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.
    ^^This^^

Storm Peaks was a level 78 zone. It was designed for flight and the skyscapes there at 2am RL time are superb. Can't even get a screenshot of WoD's skyscapes because of all the terrain blocking the view (despite they have the prettier night sky map [not blurry spots for stars]). Storm Peaks? Perfect camera angles for pretty pics that incorporates all the particle effects too (which isn't possible with the model viewers that doesn't employ a particle effects engine).

Seriously Blizzard craps on their own design for some idea, that even alienates those who's into cinematic treatment of their characters. -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I've never had a problem with the terrain.
    Same here. Learning the lay of the land is part of most open world RPG's. I can only assume that folks who were stymied by TI must be really infuriated to see how far they have to go through the garrison mine to pick up everything.

I would say that I enjoy challenges in my RPG games (which I do), but I can't even consider traversing hills and other platforms in WoW challenging.

With even a short attention span and little experience traveling around WoW, one can start to spot and recognize which types of geography can be scaled.

After a bit of practice, it's relatively easy to get your way around most anything in the entire game.

Tack on all of the different player mobility abilities our characters possess in this day and age (not to mention toys/items), and I can come up with literally zero excuses as to why someone would complain about this in an RPG.

After reading some of these responses, I wonder why these people chose this genre of game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Same here. Learning the lay of the land is part of most open world RPG's. I can only assume that folks who were stymied by TI must be really infuriated to see how far they have to go through the garrison mine to pick up everything.
    The issue is that Draenor's terrain is especially terrible. Traveling other continents by ground is way easier. I am not saying they did this on purpose or anything, but it is really, really hard to navigate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    The Timeless Isle is a prime example of why no flying sucks, as the following picture illustrates:

Suppose you just beat the Celestials (Blue Cross) and intend adventuring to Ordos. (Yellow Cross) You can not just waltz to him (green dotted line)

You have to go the OPPOSITE direction and do many zig-zag turns, traversing almost quadruple the distance between you and Ordos, whilst being repeatedly stun-charged along the way by Burning Berserkers.
    hah funny, i see the reason why flying just doesn't work

- - - Updated - - -

yes, flying made the game MUCH less interesting for me and many others ...
    I said that the first time i got to lvl 70 and i'll keep saying that for the rest of my life.

oh and Storm peaks ? I looked very cool i'll give you that. But it was extremely boring to play ....
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Got to admit some of the paths up mountains and hills are not easily seen. Got to think about the path to get Leorajh. Which I had to look up a guide to see where exactly I could go up from to find him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The issue is that Draenor's terrain is especially terrible.
    That is an entirely subjective opinion, personally I think the terrain in WoD is fantastic.

Traveling other continents by ground is way easier.
    If by easier you mean boring, uninspiring and dull then I agree.

I am not saying they did this on purpose or anything, but it is really, really hard to navigate.
    How can anyone consider WoD's terrain really hard to navigate? So long as you keep your eyes open and actually pay attention then the terrain is trivially easy to navigate.

As to the people that wrongly consider WoD's jumping puzzles to be hard, you should go and take a look at GW2's amazing and more challenging puzzles.

As a casual player that enjoys exploring WoD's amazing landscapes, and takes the time to appreciate them I can only believe that the people that are complaining are of the 'I want it NOW, instant gratification, entitled mentality', and would be more suited to playing a lobby based raiding game rather than a true mmoprg with an expansive, well designed and immersive world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post

yes, flying made the game MUCH less interesting for me and many others ...
    "many" others? You mean people that have been playing since Vanilla?

Because I'm doubtful there are that many left, much less people that care about flying.

And hey, if you've been playing a game you hate for eight years... that's on you, bud.

I said that the first time i got to lvl 70 and i'll keep saying that for the rest of my life.
    Most people who aren't sticks in the mud said "holy crap I can buy a gryphon and fly around now? AWESOME!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you really that bored, that you have to come up with ridiculous suggestions for Blizzard each day/week. Last time you complained about fake achievements, now you moan about a problem which will be gone within this week.

Maybe you should consider a break if the game does not satisfy you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    That is an entirely subjective opinion, personally I think the terrain in WoD is fantastic.

If by easier you mean boring, uninspiring and dull then I agree.

How can anyone consider WoD's terrain really hard to navigate? So long as you keep your eyes open and actually pay attention then the terrain is trivially easy to navigate.
    By really hard to navigate I mean that you have to take longer detours way more often than before (like all the time), that's it.

If you enjoy it, that's fine. I don't.

Disagree with OP. More terrain is climbable now than ever before.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    I would say that I enjoy challenges in my RPG games (which I do), but I can't even consider traversing hills and other platforms in WoW challenging.

With even a short attention span and little experience traveling around WoW, one can start to spot and recognize which types of geography can be scaled.

After a bit of practice, it's relatively easy to get your way around most anything in the entire game.

Tack on all of the different player mobility abilities our characters possess in this day and age (not to mention toys/items), and I can come up with literally zero excuses as to why someone would complain about this in an RPG.

After reading some of these responses, I wonder why these people chose this genre of game to play.

Did you play WoD at all? Because it seems you haven't. e.g. several spots in Gorgrond are absolutely not telling for what is climbable and what is not from graphics alone and several people have noticed the exact same thing in this thread about several areas, and Gorgrond is one of the least problematic zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post

As to the people that wrongly consider WoD's jumping puzzles to be hard, you should go and take a look at GW2's amazing and more challenging puzzles.

This isn't an e-peen war. Nobody is telling you that it's hard. They are telling you it's obnoxious.

Most of this stuff is very easy. It's just very badly designed in terms of telling the terrain.

The graphics alone don't tell what is unclimbable in some cases and that's obnoxious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sqeen View Post
    Maybe you should consider a break if the game does not satisfy you anymore.

Maybe you should consider a break from personally attacking people in honest threads that open a discussion.

It appears plenty of people or most people in here agree with me.

It seems you are a personally-attacking minority.

Deleted
    Yes, jumping puzzles in GW2 are harder, but guess what - GW2 has game mechanics which are perfectly suited for jumping puzzles, but WoW does not. Yesterday, I have had to repeat one of the jumping puzzles in Spires of Arak for about 10 times, one of these things which are really easy, and which I have done on every of my 16 characters I have at level 100 currently. Usually, I did this puzzle with only few attempts, and I am sure, with GW2 mechanics it would have been a one-shot each and every time. But yesterday, I was not only plagued by abysmal WoW jumping mechanics (like, press space and hope that this will make your character jump), but also lags. Now, fighting the client-server-connection and clunky game mechanics monsters is not what I regard fun times.

I am so glad that my alts have some upgraded heirlooms and resting exp, so I can go through this mess quickly. That's not Vanilla experience. In Vanilla, I could have been riding for a long time without aggroing that much mobs, and without having to wonder if I would have to take a detour. Of course, by now I have memorized all relevant paths for the objectives I want to complete, but this does not diminish the unnessesary tediousness.

You explore exactly ONCE. After that, it's not exploration anymore. But the terrain remains obnoxious. In RL, you would have people who work on the roads and terrain development, so you possibly would have better travelling options. In WoW, flying was the alternative since the world remains static. Flight paths don't help at all, because you still have to ride through this whole mess.

Either people at Blizzard have become extremely stupid, or they did this on purpose, to steal our time. Guess what, this is one of the reasons why my participation in group content has reduces dramatically. I don't have time for that anymore because I have to ride through fucking mazes again and again.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was actually meant as a friendly suggestion, but if you feel attacked I hereby apologize to you.

This thread is nonetheless a complaint about something which will be gone in 2 days and in my opinion never a problem to begin with. But if you feel the need to vent your problems in a community forum, please do so.