Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Current expansion is always terrible

During wotlk the expansion got more hate than what wod is getting atm. Everything in wotlk was terrible during that time if you read the forums. Now a few years later most people call wotlk one of the best expansions of wow. Same with pandaria, so much hate during it's time, and now you can read in every thread what a great expansion it was.

What's up with this, is WoD also gonna be one of the best expansions in 1-2 years?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD is a little more special... With only two raid tiers. Since raids are THE main freature of WoW now... that's a little lackluster.

I still think MoP was complete and absolute garbage. And I'm not saying these other expansions were bad overall, but... BC turned dungeons into glorified hallways. Wotlk threw epics at everyone like they were candy, and Cata was the beginning of class homogenization and the butchering of talent trees. I'm sure I could talk more smack about all of these expansions but I still feel like WoD/MoP are the kings of homogenization and streamlining gameplay. To me, my feral feels almost exactly the same as a rogue, warrior, monk, or DK. PvE rotations are extremely similar and PvP is 95% about training the correct target these days (less strategy in my opinion).

Loved WotLK then, still one of my favorites now. Hated MoP then, still hate MoP. Like WoD now...

People have literally been whining since day one. It's like smoking.

Deleted
    You are right that there was whining but I think you are wrong on the premise. This is because I notice a new wind this time. It's obvious various supporters of Blizzard "by default" don't support them anymore by default, this is very new.

You can see it all around. He can see it in this forum too.

Never before so many regular users complained.

Oh, also gotta love the new feature that requires 20 people for top-end raiding. It has about killed my guild and is making it impossible to do end-game content from the lack of people on my server. Oh, and I'm not about to pay $275 to transfer my characters to another server to play the game I'm already paying a subscription for.

Every expac sucked when its current, but none dropped subs like WoD.

That's a very distinct difference. People whined about all expansions, but none of them dropped subs like WoD. Numbers don't lie.

People still enjoy the game, i still sub simply cause i've been playing it for years now, it's a "habit". I unsubbed in May, subbed again recently with gold, now im down to 10k gold so i dont think i'll be subbing again, maybe December-ish with real money, just to login and run around then quit again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    Every expac sucked when its current, but none dropped subs like WoD.

That's a very distinct difference. People whined about all expansions, but none of them dropped subs like WoD. Numbers don't lie.

People still enjoy the game, i still sub simply cause i've been playing it for years now, it's a "habit". I unsubbed in May, subbed again recently with gold, now im down to 10k gold so i dont think i'll be subbing again, maybe December-ish with real money, just to login and run around then quit again.

It's not just the numbers. The community often mentions that various regular pillars of them, the regular guys that were moderate and generally supportive are now complaining about things.

They mainly complain about the lack of more content by the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    People have literally been whining since day one. It's like smoking.
    That's true, but, there was a lot of praise for WOD early on. A lot of people who are super critical of it now were lauding it as one of the best expansions ever, due to how great the early questing was, and how awesome garrisons were at first. The problem was, garrisons were finished and capped quickly, and once the levelling stopped there was fuck all to do. The expansion really feels like it was just given up on very early on, with all resources sent to Legion.

Of course people will complain about the current expansion, whatever it may be, because we can't see the new mistakes Blizzard is making in the next expansion until we get it. Then we see how the previous expansions handled those mistakes better. BUT that doesn't mean that we don't sometimes have very good reasons to be unhappy with an expansion. WOD had one major patch, two very minor patches, two raid tiers, and.... not much else. Professions were destroyed, apexis grinds were homogenized and never-changing, and rep grinds were Shaohao style "kill kill kill" till you burnout. There wasn't a whole lot to do in the outside world. And it looks like we're STILL going to be in 6.2 for almost a year.

That's why people are angry. That's why people say WOD sucks. I love the game, and I'll probably be here till the servers close, but even I am not happy with WoD.

Sig by Isilrien

Deleted
    I loved WotLK back when it was current content. I still love it. Arthas will always be the best Warcraft villain.

I really liked the first tier of Cataclysm but I got bored fast because of the lack of things to do since they merged saves. Firelands was cool.

I didn't like MoP, I didn't even raid the whole expansion up until mid SoO. The lore was good but it felt unconnected to Warcraft. I'm a big lore guy and I wanted drama and character development of the guys we already knew of, not some chinese themed expansion with the Pandaren.

WoD had a lot of potential, but so far it's the expansion I have paid the least for (talking about months). Lore was extremely disappointing since there were no new characters but one or two, and they really dropped the bomb with the HFC ending.

Legion is probably the best looking expansion lorewise since WotLK despite the fact that we are getting a reused villain, we are finally dealing with the Emerald Nightmare, Azshara, the Vrykul, Sylvanas and Genn Greymane.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Still had like...30 bosses? Mop had 33 and Cata 28. Too tired to start the "Does HM and BRF count as one ot two raids"...it is not gonna lead anywhere

OP...yes, WotLK got a lot of hate, but I feel WoD gets more...
    Cool now let's list how many patches WOD released in the first 10 month period versus MOP. You ready? It's not a difficult one.

Sig by Isilrien

I personally enjoyed all expansions but WoD has been kind of lackluster to me

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I notice a new wind this time.
    I've seen people say that about Cata and MoP as well.

I loved MoP from start to finish. I'll never get all the hate for it... but cataclysm and WoD was really bad for me.

Deleted
    I am betting everything I have that Legion will be flooded with Forum Threads about how AMAZING WoD was.

Nostalgia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I've seen people say that about Cata and MoP as well.

I was old enough to judge without prejudice since at least WotLK. I think it's pretty obvious now. Various regular moderate users complain for the first time now about the lack of content.

Mind you I don't mean they whine randomly. It's specific about the lack of content.

Those that complain about other stuff here and there will always exist of course.

I don't think WoD was THAT bad, but it is missing alot of content. It lacks battlegrounds, dungs and raids, plus some zones are completely scrapped. However, MoP managed me to scare me away from WoW for a long time.
    Wut wut wut in the mud

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Still had like...30 bosses? Mop had 33 and Cata 28. Too tired to start the "Does HM and BRF count as one ot two raids"...it is not gonna lead anywhere
    What's the point? I'd rather have one Ulduar than 20 Ruby Sanctums, totally useless argument.

Quote Originally Posted by vmbr View Post
    During wotlk the expansion got more hate than what wod is getting atm. Everything in wotlk was terrible during that time if you read the forums. Now a few years later most people call wotlk one of the best expansions of wow. Same with pandaria, so much hate during it's time, and now you can read in every thread what a great expansion it was.

What's up with this, is WoD also gonna be one of the best expansions in 1-2 years?
    Simple: After WotLK the expansion were worse and worse.
    Also, it won't be. Wotlk will still be the best expansion.

Wotlk had... almost everything good. Main city, nice world PvP BG(connected to PvE so it did matter for almost everyone), PvP balance(compared to MoP and WoD), awesome raids, the best LORE(Arthas, many people are saying that ICC was the best experience they ever had in the entire game, source: The Movie about WoW from Blizzard, also this forum).

It's not true that "current expansion is always terrible" WoD just sucks(ZERO PvP, I don't even count Ashran because it's totally garbage, 2 raid tiers, stupid lore, "alternate-universe" bullshit which is so complicated that even people from Blizzard don't know what it is about) and everyone who is trying to compare it to WotLK or MoP(which I hate because of the fake-Asian style, but still respect because of the nice "content") lost their minds and are pretty much fanboys/fangirls.

I once did read awesome comment about WoD:
    Fanboy: WoD is awesome!
    Player: No, it's not!
    Fanboy: Then let your wallet speak for yourself instead of whinning about it on the forum!
    Subscription numbers went down in a few months by ~50%.
    Fanboy: It's because the game is old...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthilla View Post
    I am betting everything I have that Legion will be flooded with Forum Threads about how AMAZING WoD was.

Nostalgia.
    Nope, that's not nostalgia, stop using that word if you don't know what it means.
    Also forum threads will me flooded with the new DH class and how awesome Illidan is in this expansion.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2015-08-31 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthilla View Post

Nostalgia.
    Only if Legion turns out worse than WoD. I'm not sure that is possible.... but then again