Poll: Topic.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Are you afraid of death?

^ Title.

I am.

Actually, for me it's quite bad to the point I'd call it a phobia, or some kind of mental disorder. I'm 27 years old and I fear death on such a scale that it's difficult to describe. Some nights I can go hours without being able to sleep, just thinking about how eventually, I will cease to be and I will not even be "I" anymore. I won't have my wife, my son, my family, friends. I won't be anything. I won't even be able to be pissed about it, because I won't even be.

This thought torments me, depresses me. Sure it makes me want to get out and live life, and I already do that! Me and my family are very active, but these thoughts torture me so regularly. It even extends in to every day activities, like sometimes I'll be walking down the street and I'll fear a non-existent bus wiping me out. Waiting for a train, and tripping in to the rails. Poof, gone.

Sometimes I even have terrible thoughts of accidentally or inadvertently being the cause of someone else's death, like bumping in to someone and pushing them in front of a train or car, or accidentally doing any number of things that could lead to someone else's death.

I'm a person that, without question, would take an opportunity to live forever with everlasting youth at any point before I turn 60. Hypotheticals about seeing my friends and family die multiple times over or even seeing the universe implode...still doesn't sway me.

There's probably some sort of messed up shit I should try to get sorted in my own head over stuff like this, but it truly is something I find myself dealing with, with seemingly no real solution. Who can you talk to that can make you feel better about dying? I mean...nobody. You die either way...

*Sigh...

EDIT

I wanted to cover some common elements in the responses to explain my feelings further.

"You'll be dead so you won't care about it"

I don't understand this bit of insight. The primary reason I fear death is because I'm alive. If I'm dead already then I wouldn't fear it. I fear it because I'm alive, thus, it makes sense to ask among living people if death intimidates them. No, I won't care after I'm dead, but this is a pre-dis positioned fear of the unknown and the consequences of no longer being alive, of not being what I am now.

"Why fear something you can't control?

I fear it precisely because I can't control it.you also cannot control a rabid bear with your bare hands but that doesn't make me any less afraid of coming face to face with one. How is it something becomes un-fearful simply because you can't control it? Why are we as humans so aware of our mortality? It feels like a curse.
    Last edited by Zipzo; 2015-08-30 at 11:48 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes /10char
    getting panic attacks over it where i become completely lost, have to be calmed down hard.

Deleted
    Not by my own hands or by age. Someone killing or by disease, though, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wishing there was a "Somewhat" option. I am not completely terrified but it does make me uneasy at times. The only time it never bothers me is when I am with my GF or with my dog lol. Without them I am still usually fine, just every now and then it will rock my ship a bit.

Overall though, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done so I don't mind completely. As Lilla Blomma said, if it is something like being killed by another person or some freak accident then that would suck. However if it is by old age, I am fine with that.

Deleted
    Yes, because I haven't finished everything I want to do yet, not even close

Once I'm satisfied, then no problem

I don't fear death but I hate knowing that I will be gone so I can't see how the world will progress. I am far too curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Death is part of life. Why be afraid?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to think about it.

Generally opens up a pandora's box of existential crisis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    ^ Title.

I am.

Actually, for me it's quite bad to the point I'd call it a phobia, or some kind of mental disorder. I'm 27 years old and I fear death on such a scale that it's difficult to describe. Some nights I can go hours without being able to sleep, just thinking about how eventually, I will cease to be and I will not even be "I" anymore. I won't have my wife, my son, my family, friends. I won't be anything. I won't even be able to be pissed about it, because I won't even be.

This thought torments me, depresses me. Sure it makes me want to get out and live life, and I already do that! Me and my family are very active, but these thoughts torture me so regularly. It even extends in to every day activities, like sometimes I'll be walking down the street and I'll fear a non-existent bus wiping me out. Waiting for a train, and tripping in to the rails. Poof, gone.

Sometimes I even have terrible thoughts of accidentally or inadvertently being the cause of someone else's death, like bumping in to someone and pushing them in front of a train or car, or accidentally doing any number of things that could lead to someone else's death.

I'm a person that, without question, would take an opportunity to live forever with everlasting youth at any point before I turn 60. Hypotheticals about seeing my friends and family die multiple times over or even seeing the universe implode...still doesn't sway me.

There's probably some sort of messed up shit I should try to get sorted in my own head over stuff like this, but it truly is something I find myself dealing with, with seemingly no real solution. Who can you talk to that can make you feel better about dying? I mean...nobody. You die either way...

*Sigh...
    Am I afraid of it? No. Not in the least. Why? been too close too many times.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I try not to think about it.

Generally opens up a pandora's box of existential crisis
    Exactly.

The easiest way I have of dealing with it is thinking "Well, it won't be an issue until I'm old, and by the time I'm old, I should be more accepting of it".

I never seem to think about it. It's the fear of the unknown, like having sex for the first time only not as cool.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yep even with seeing it more often then most I fear my end.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes. you dont have feelings. you dont have anything (unlike sargeras...). like there is an apocalypse for you happened and there is no keep going forward. just nothing.

No not really. You won't even be conscious to experience being dead. So its even less aware then sleep is, and when one is fast asleep, tomorrow comes real quick. So anybody who dies doesn't need to worry. I think it's some major belief systems that scare people. Beware of those. How your going to die I can understand some anxiety, but death? No way that's the easy part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted yes because while I fear death, I'm not afraid to die for something. I'm comfortable With the idea that there's nothing waiting for me after death. Knowing that I will just cease to exist. Id guess that is one of the few things religion makes easier with the afterlife thing but you know those people tend to waste their lives in hopes of a better afterlife. I do not subscribe to the mentality that its better to believe and there be nothing than not to and find out there is an afterlife. If you're a good person that's all that should matter.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...kywall/rotomon
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and people's stupidity - though I am not entirely sure about the universe". -Albert Einstein

No, It comes for us all. But what I have an issue with is the motherfucking pain if I die a painful one.

Deleted
    Death itself doesn't scare me. Going from being alive, from being dead does however. The pain that potentially comes with dying

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Only madmen don't fear death.
    And there are people how just don't understand the meaning of death.
    Others are, but it's ok. Death is the end. After that there is an endless void of non-exictense. Death is the essence of fear, so it's normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    of death? no......
    of dying maybe..

It's kinda like falling out of an airplane.... the fall is awesome, the sudden stop at the ground is the nasty shit.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Yep, that's why I'm gonna be immortal.