Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    So the problem is that she was on "autopilot" when she should have been mindful of what she was doing. Of course, this is easier said then done when doing something as mundane as picking up some food from the grocery store. She deviated from her usual routine, which was putting away the cart, because she parked close to the store. When putting away the cart, it's then obvious that she needs to grab her infant before she heads back to the car.

It's a simple mistake that many would make. Perhaps you're a super parent who is always mindful and in the moment when your kids are around. If so, that's great for you. If you're like the rest of us mortals though, mistakes will happen. Sometimes with tragic consequences. You can try as hard as you like, but you can't change the structure of your brain. What you can do, though, is be aware of how our brains work and work out routines and habits that minimize the chance for things like this to happen. For example, this mom should always park far enough away that she has to walk her cart back to the store.

I don't get where the outrage is coming from, parents forget their kids every once in a while. She might have a lot going on that distracted her or she might be the kind of person who forgets things. So what, no harm was done.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Exactly what I was talking about with having a set routine:
    This is a person with four children. If she has not yet developed the "new" habit of always checking her car to make sure the kids are buckled in and ready to go then she is a worthless excuse for a parent. The norm for a parent should be to check and therefore forgotten baby syndrome should only affect someone who has not had a child long enough to develop a new habit. She talked about how her habit is to put the grocery cart back. But shouldn't her habit be to make sure her kids are in the car? This is a case of negligence. But you can continue comparing your few days old baby story to someone who is a veteran parent that should know better and have already developed the habits that all parents should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about, she didn't leave the kid in the car, or at least she wasn't fucking drunk, DUDE you aren't supposed to be doing any of that shit raising kids, you don't get a cookie, or get off the hook for endangering your kid by leaving them in a shopping cart for 40 mins.
    Calm down cupcake.

I was replying to Cerus saying "Drunk driver hits car, no injuries" saying you cant compare the two because you're adding a drunk driver into the equation.
    She made a mistake, nothing happened, she learned from it. The backlash is crazy from you guys. If the kid had been injured in some way sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Lol. You're excusing her because nothing bad happened. Why would I not be excused for committing a crime where nothing bad happened either? Either the law is "it's not illegal as long as no one gets hurt" or "a crime is a crime and we can't excuse one and not the other, all are treated the same" - take your pick.
    Didnt realise you had a law stating you "Cant leave a child behind accidently" sorry.

Calling a one off mistake "Negligence" is a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2015-08-31 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    ...NO most people don't forget or leave a kid by itself for 40 mins, unless they are trying to collect an insurance policy...
    What would the insurance policy pay out on?

How do they pay out? Voucher for a replacement baby? New for old?

Again, she should be left alone if that kid died or got kidnapped due to negligence, right? Accidents happen. Here, let me drop my lit cigarette on the carpet. Uh oh, roommate, our apartment burned down. But don't get angry. It was an accident.

"Veteran" drivers still do it, too.
    They may do. But what should we do to ensure they don't any longer? Make it a learning experience. The harshest it is, the more effective it will be.

Placing her kids into foster homes, for one, would be a start.

That would be fucking ridiculous to do. You're being way over-dramatic about this.
    You're the one swearing like a sailor, and I'm the over-dramatic one?

That reporter seems like the kind of guy who wears people's skin.

Quote Originally Posted by beedeehee View Post
    Foster system in this country is one of the worst places for children to be. You are a terrible person for suggesting that and I hope you never have children of your own.

The scenario in the article tells about driving home and realizing you have to also make a stop to pick something up - go out of your normal routine. Both are something majority of people have been doing for years and we still can drive home and realize we forgot the milk.

"Veteran" drivers still do it, too.
    What if she hit that cart with the kid in it while backing out? It was a mistake, so you should approve.

You're the one swearing like a sailor, and I'm the over-dramatic one?
    She is swearing like a sailor because she feels personally attacked since she did the same thing to her own child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I never understood why people have so many children, isn't one enough? No wonder she forgot it.

How the hell is this news anyway? Happens all the time.

They may do. But what should we do to ensure they don't any longer? Make it a learning experience. The harshest it is, the more effective it will be.

^^ Obviously doesnt have kids.

"That would be fucking ridiculous to fucking do. You're being way over- fucking dramatic about this, holy fucking shit."

*That's swearing like a Sailor and being over-dramatic.
    And thats low on the scale of sailor swearing :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoe View Post
    That actually happened to a kid back when I went to pre-school. The teacher who normally counted the kids was home sick that day, so nobody counted us when we were done with our little trip to the forest. One of the other kids pointed out that he was missing when we came back, so the other teacher had to go back after him. It was later told as a funny story to the mother who was picking him up. And she didn't seem to mind, probably because swedes don't seem to think there's loads of people out to hurt little children. It must be awful to grow up constantly hearing that you should distrust strangers.
    Well I guess it depends on if the only danger you think comes from strangers, or you rely on total strangers for the safety of your kid, but you will pardon me if I don't buy your story as being the typical attitude of all swedes nor behavior, especially because being absent minded about the care of a kid, doesn't seem like one of those things one would be care free about.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

"That would be fucking ridiculous to fucking do. You're being way over- fucking dramatic about this, holy fucking shit."
    I rest my case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I never understood why people have so many children, isn't one enough? No wonder she forgot it.

How the hell is this news anyway? Happens all the time.
    Actually, no. If everyone had one child you'd half the population each generation. 2-3 children be the "optimum".

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, I need to work on being less of a lady.
    Don't worry, you're doing good on that front.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't arrested for forgetting my kid in the produce aisle.
    You left your kid for 2 to 3 minutes, had it been 40, as bad as you felt.

You telling me that you wouldn't think that you or anybody doing that should be lucky nothing happened to your child do to your neglect, rather then crying and making excuses?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Shouldve sent the brat back piece by piece as a warning

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Don't worry, you're doing good on that front.
    Dat whiteknighting tho...