Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Can anyone explain the Legion cinematic teaser trailer to me?

Why would Gul'dan, a character that is obviously on the Burning Legion's side free Illidan, a Demon Hunter whose job is primarily to hunt and kill demons?

What is his thought processes here? Is he hoping to control Illidan's demon blood and make him his puppet?

Also, I'm guessing Gul'dan freeing Illidan has something to do with Demon Hunter being a playable class in Legion?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

7+ Year Old Account
    Gul'dan saw our timeline and knows that Illidan and him have had a sort of history, especially with Illidan being all shakespear with his skull.

I've got no idea why the two would team up, but I'm interested to see how it plays out since they do have a history of sorts.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Gul'dan saw our timeline.
    Then he's an idiot. If he saw our timeline, he'd see how bad ass we are. We literally beat Sargera's avatar, we beat several attempted Legion invasions, we beat Illidan himself, we beat Arthas and his LK transformation, we beat Deathwing even after being fused with demonic energies, hell we even went into his timeline and beat the shit out of everyone there.... We beat tons of world perils and persevered through them all.

If I was him, I'd stay the fuck away from our timeline and try to invade another timeline/world instead...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

More likely Cordana, being a warden, was the one who gave him the info and helped him pull off the heist.

Think it should also be noted that it isn't the full cinematic, more could be explained in the full one that they said they would release later.

We aren't supposed to understand. It's a teaser. It's supposed to build hype and speculation.

Illidan has worked with the Legion before. It was Sargeras who gave him his magic vision during the War of the Ancients, and later during Warcraft 3 he would work for Kil'Jaeden attempting to destroy the Lich King. Perhaps Gul'dan hopes Illidan will work with them again. If so we could have a prime candidate for "shocking event that will make players hate devs" at the Burning Shore. Not the death of a character. The return of Illidan but not as a hero, not as a redemption story. He serves the Legion.
    Then again perhaps Gul'dan thinks he can control him. If he is correct, the Legion would have a very powerful puppet.
    Maybe he just wants information. It's possible Illidan knows where the Pillars of Creation are, or at least the location of the "Wound in the World".

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    We aren't supposed to understand. It's a teaser. It's supposed to build hype and speculation.

Illidan has worked with the Legion before. It was Sargeras who gave him his magic vision during the War of the Ancients, and later during Warcraft 3 he would work for Kil'Jaeden attempting to destroy the Lich King. Perhaps Gul'dan hopes Illidan will work with them again. If so we could have a prime candidate for "shocking event that will make players hate devs" at the Burning Shore. Not the death of a character. The return of Illidan but not as a hero, not as a redemption story. He serves the Legion.
    Then again perhaps Gul'dan thinks he can control him. If he is correct, the Legion would have a very powerful puppet.
    Maybe he just wants information. It's possible Illidan knows where the Pillars of Creation are, or at least the location of the "Wound in the World".

well the "wound in the world" was 12,000 years ago.I think Illidan was alive during that time so maybe he knows where it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    We don't officially know why he releases Illidan. Not until the full cinematic is released or we are told an overview of the story at BlizzCon. The likely reasons why (which have been speculated many times now in many threads) could be:

- He uses Illidan as a way to power the Tomb of Sargeras and open this portal for "the largest demonic invasion of Azeroth in history"
    - Gul'dan somehow finds out that Illidan consumed/absorbed/drained the powers of the Skull of Gul'dan (main universe Gul'dan) and inherited his memories, in turn learning the location of the tomb
    - Probably point #2 going into point #1

Or perhaps he wants to kill Illidan, absorb his skull, and grow horns-n-wings because he is jelly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Then he's an idiot. If he saw our timeline, he'd see how bad ass we are. We literally beat Sargera's avatar, we beat several attempted Legion invasions, we beat Illidan himself, we beat Arthas and his LK transformation, we beat Deathwing even after being fused with demonic energies, hell we even went into his timeline and beat the shit out of everyone there.... We beat tons of world perils and persevered through them all.

If I was him, I'd stay the fuck away from our timeline and try to invade another timeline/world instead...
    It doesn't matter how many times Azeroth has won. By that logic we should of stopped getting threats after Wrath.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    We don't officially know why he releases Illidan. Not until the full cinematic is released or we are told an overview of the story at BlizzCon. The likely reasons why (which have been speculated many times now in many threads) could be:

- He uses Illidan as a way to power the Tomb of Sargeras and open this portal for "the largest demonic invasion of Azeroth in history"
    - Gul'dan somehow finds out that Illidan consumed/absorbed/drained the powers of the Skull of Gul'dan (main universe Gul'dan) and inherited his memories, in turn learning the location of the tomb
    - Probably point #2 going into point #1

Or perhaps he wants to kill Illidan, absorb his skull, and grow horns-n-wings because he is jelly...

it doesnt look like he is using him

http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-c...anvsGuldan.png

He's going to end up coming out of the prison and ripping his head off for yet another Skull of Guldan upgrade.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    it doesnt look like he is using him

warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IllidanvsGuldan.png
    He COULD be used in the beginning of the expac (like Gul'dan, Teron'gor and Cho'gall were in the beginning of WoD) and of course, get free and turn on the users...

It's a bit more complex than just "we win everything". Every victory comes with its consequences.

Archimonde's first defeat sundered the world. His second one nearly destroyed Mount Hyjal. We wouldn't have pushed Kil'jaeden back without Anveena's sacrifice. We defeated the Lich King by the skin of our teeth. He actually kills everyone in the encounter, Tirion intervenes right before the Lich King manages to raise us as the most powerful army of the Scourge. And while Arthas is dead, there is still a Lich King. He's simply dormant and benevolent... so far. Deathwing wasn't an easy defeat either. It cost the Dragon Aspects their powers and immortality.

Gul'dan now knows all of this. He knows how he was defeated in this universe, where his alternate self went wrong. If the writers don't mess it up, he could be a very threatening force.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The real upgrade will be that Wilson now has a friend. I wonder if anyone will get what that references to considering that was old as hell.

OMG I totally forgot about Wilson he will deff have friends now.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Why would Gul'dan, a character that is obviously on the Burning Legion's side free Illidan, a Demon Hunter whose job is primarily to hunt and kill demons?

What is his thought processes here? Is he hoping to control Illidan's demon blood and make him his puppet?

Also, I'm guessing Gul'dan freeing Illidan has something to do with Demon Hunter being a playable class in Legion?
    1) Illidan would probably enjoy being free.
    2) Gul'dan knows he is powerful, and he (Illidan) is a demon he could control

It doesn't have to do with Demon Hunters. The Horde and Alliance ask the demon hunters to ally with the Azerothian forces to defeat the legion. Illidan may only just play a part in the DH starting zone. But who knows Illidan may be on our side too.

We don't know what he's planning with Illidan. He might be after his power, draining PU Guldan's power from Illidan for example. Illidan may just escape in the process.

The AU Azeroth is ripe for the picking. . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't know what he would 'gain' by Releasing illidan. Especially since he serves the Legion. I'm very curious how it will all play out as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Honestly... the whole 'alternate timeline/dimension' thing really destroyed the lore, for me

I have no idea how anything fits with anything else, anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Famine View Post
    Honestly... the whole 'alternate timeline/dimension' thing really destroyed the lore, for me

I have no idea how anything fits with anything else, anymore.
    How? This is OUR Illidan not an AU Illidan
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar