Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Honestly, I'm not worried about whether he ends up convicted or not. It's awful, what he's accused of doing, but there are millions of people in America who've assaulted their spouse or worse and they all still work in their jobs.

If someone wanted to drop a product because of someone behind the creation of that product that's perfectly acceptable. I, personally, won't touch anything Harry Potter because of JK Rowling. But it should be an individual choice, with no shame being attached to whichever choice someone makes. If you want to play Harry Potter I got no problem with that, it's my choice not to and I have no right to choose for you.

We have a justice system in place to hold people accountable for the awful things they do, it makes no sense to punish people by taking their jobs as well. If we're gonna do that, then millions of people need to be fired today for a plethora of offenses and we need to drop any pretense of being based on a system of justice.

Anyway, rant aside, I personally won't watch the show any longer after this. Not because I'm outraged, but simply because I don't believe the show will be anywhere near the same without his talents. It's the same as Futurama, I wouldn't have watched a new season without Bender or John DiMaggio playing Bender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    So, you should be able to choose whether or not you continue to support Justin Roiland...but Adult Swim should not?
    I would also like to know why adult swim doesn't get a choice in the matter?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

So, you should be able to choose whether or not you continue to support Justin Roiland...but Adult Swim should not?
    Good job at reading something into my words that I never said. I did specifically say it's an individual choice that should not be shamed, and yes, Adult Swim has that choice as well. I'm not saying they can't make that choice, I just believe it's a terrible precedent to expect only certain jobs to retain an unrealistic level of perfect behavior. Hell, priests are not expected to behave as well as movie/tv/comedy personages.

But, again, Adult Swim is perfectly allowed to make that choice. And I'm allowed to not think it's a good thing to do as a society. And you're allowed to think it's absolutely right to fire anyone that steps over your personal ethical lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I would also like to know why adult swim doesn't get a choice in the matter?
    See above. Really people, stop projecting your desire to argue into what people say and just read what they've actually said. Seriously, read my post you quoted and find the one nugget that says Adult Swim can't do this. You won't find it because it's not there.

eta: That comment about supporting Justin Roiland. I never once said I "support" him. I, in fact, decried his behavior. I only stated that I don't feel it's something I would want him off the show for and that I won't watch the show any longer because I feel he's too important to the continuation of the show. Again, this is you putting words into my mouth and misrepresenting everything I said. Please don't do that again, it's dishonest.
    Last edited by VMSmith; 2023-01-25 at 06:53 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good job at reading something into my words that I never said. I did specifically say it's an individual choice that should not be shamed, and yes, Adult Swim has that choice as well. I'm not saying they can't make that choice, I just believe it's a terrible precedent to expect only certain jobs to retain an unrealistic level of perfect behavior. Hell, priests are not expected to behave as well as movie/tv/comedy personages.

But, again, Adult Swim is perfectly allowed to make that choice. And I'm allowed to not think it's a good thing to do as a society. And you're allowed to think it's absolutely right to fire anyone that steps over your personal ethical lines.

- - - Updated - - -

See above. Really people, stop projecting your desire to argue into what people say and just read what they've actually said. Seriously, read my post you quoted and find the one nugget that says Adult Swim can't do this. You won't find it because it's not there.

eta: That comment about supporting Justin Roiland. I never once said I "support" him. I, in fact, decried his behavior. I only stated that I don't feel it's something I would want him off the show for and that I won't watch the show any longer because I feel he's too important to the continuation of the show. Again, this is you putting words into my mouth and misrepresenting everything I said. Please don't do that again, it's dishonest.
    I'm not projecting anything. YOU are the one creating a double standard. If it's ok(acceptable) for people to, it's the same for adult swim. Hell you even go so far as to equate it to a legal punishment, which is just BS. oh before you say you didn't.

We have a justice system in place to hold people accountable for the awful things they do, it makes no sense to punish people by taking their jobs as well.
    we're gonna do that, then millions of people need to be fired today for a plethora of offenses
    if their bosses don't want to be associated with that they are more than free to do so. it isn't YOUR choice. it's THEIR choice who they want to be associated with.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Good job at reading something into my words that I never said. I did specifically say it's an individual choice that should not be shamed, and yes, Adult Swim has that choice as well. I'm not saying they can't make that choice, I just believe it's a terrible precedent to expect only certain jobs to retain an unrealistic level of perfect behavior.
    I don't think holding someone to the standard of "don't assault and illegally detain other human beings" is expecting an "unrealistic level of perfect behaviour".

Hell, priests are not expected to behave as well as movie/tv/comedy personages.
    Or the church is just better at covering up when priests "disbehave". I think when the average joe actually learns about priests "disbehaving"...they also expect the church to fire them, too.

So again, you don't think it's a good idea as a society for businesses to exercise freedom of association?

No one said that you supported him. I asked why you had the right to choose whether or not you support him but Adult Swim should not have that same right...and Orange Joe also expressed interest in the answer to that question. For someone concerned about people "reading into" your words...you don't seem to be too careful when it comes to reading into others.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

-snip-
    Are you saying that because jobs don't fire people for allegations of domestic abuse and inappropriate conduct with minors, when they should, that Hollywood shouldn't hold itself to that standard?

Or are you suggesting that the jobs that aren't firing these people are the ones who are handling it correctly?

Because it sounds like the latter, and that's a disgusting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Or are you suggesting that the jobs that aren't firing these people are the ones who are handling it correctly?

Because it sounds like the latter, and that's a disgusting thought.
    I mean, if it's good enough for the Catholic Church...it's good enough for anyone :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Can someone catch me up? Is the show cancelled? Is the guy removed? Is the guy guilty?
    Or its all just the regular alphabet mafia cancel culture going on, as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Can someone catch me up? Is the show cancelled? Is the guy removed? Is the guy guilty?
    Or its all just the regular alphabet mafia cancel culture going on, as usual?
    looking in to it it seems roiland has domestic abuse charges and some other shady stuff,and harmon has a video of him simulating raping a baby doll wile naked,idk i dont rly blame them for not wanting to be connected with that kinda massive creep,but cool bigoted atempt there buddy,classy
    Last edited by deenman; 2023-01-25 at 10:53 PM.

Can someone catch me up? Is the show cancelled? Is the guy removed?
    Adult Swim has discontinued their association with him...but Rick and Morty has not been cancelled.

Is the guy guilty?
    His trial hasn't begun yet and a lot of the evidencee is still sealed... but from what we know thus far...it doesn't look good.

Is the guy guilty?
    Barely matters anymore. People get fired for allegations. Other people get convicted but keep their job.

Now, I'm not trying to downplay what Roiland did. I'm sure the guy's got issues, that's why Rick comes so naturally to him. Being part of a famous TV show doesn't give you license to be a bad human being, and it doesn't give you blanket protection from legal issues. That being said, I'm not a friend of mob justice. We HAVE a justice system for a reason. We outsource our justice. We don't just take it into our own hands. Someone commits a crime, the justice system punishes them for it. Why do people feel a need to then step in and punish them, too? If you think they didn't get punished enough, then vote and reform the justice system. Gods know it could use reform.

I'm not saying they don't have the right to fire him. They do. I'm saying why should they feel morally obliged to?

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    looking in to it it seems roiland has domestic abuse charges and some other shady stuff,and harmon has a video of him simulating raping a baby doll wile naked,idk i dont rly blame them for not wanting to be connected with that kinda massive creep,but cool bigoted atempt there buddy,classy
    Who cares about domestic abuse charges? That could mean pretty much anything, from raising voices to pushing. Should be sorted in an trial of law, not trial by public?
    Johnny depp trial rings a bell? False accusations for clout? No? So literally cancel culture at its finest. What about it was a bigoted attempt? For bringing up cancel culture being a thing driven by the alphabet mafia? But thats mostly who drives it and have driven it past years? That's not bigoted, thats an observation of reality and truth?
    Simulating rape on a baby doll, vile disturbing behavior but nothing illegal is it? If that's his kink and he gets off on it with dolls isn't that better than you know, the alternative? Fully understandable they dont want to associate themselves with such people but the first one? Cancel culture by definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Adult Swim has discontinued their association with him...but Rick and Morty has not been cancelled.
    At least thats the most important thing. Hopefully they'll just continue it on another network.

Who cares about domestic abuse charges? That could mean pretty much anything, from raising voices to pushing. Should be sorted in an trial of law, not trial by public?
    https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/interne...rges-rcna65403
    NBC News obtained the criminal complaint in the case, which charges Roiland, 42, with one felony count of domestic battery with corporal injury and one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit.

At least thats the most important thing. Hopefully they'll just continue it on another network.
    It's going to continue on Adult Swim...just without Roiland.

Johnny depp trial rings a bell? False accusations for clout? No? So literally cancel culture at its finest. What about it was a bigoted attempt? For bringing up cancel culture being a thing driven by the alphabet mafia? But thats mostly who drives it and have driven it past years? That's not bigoted, thats an observation of reality and truth?
    Simulating rape on a baby doll, vile disturbing behavior but nothing illegal is it? If that's his kink and he gets off on it with dolls isn't that better than you know, the alternative? Fully understandable they dont want to associate themselves with such people but the first one? Cancel culture by definition.
    There is no trial by public. I don't know what you're thinking happened, but no one marched into Adult Swim or Squanch Games and told them to remove him.

I get people love their boogeyman and buzzwords, but this isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There is no trial by public. I don't know what you're thinking happened, but no one marched into Adult Swim or Squanch Games and told them to remove him.

I get people love their boogeyman and buzzwords, but this isn't it.
    I get the feeling Tomten here is probably one of the types who believes that the advertising teams at multinational corporations are being pressured by SJWs to pull advertising from twitter too.

He's right it could literally mean anything.

Corporal injury:
    "It's generally defined as willfully inflicting a physical injury resulting in a traumatic condition on an intimate partner. Typically, the injuries are visible, but could also include internal injuries. Some common examples of injuries that would be considered a corporal injury would include: scratches. bruising."

and one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit.

The person accusing him could have just shown a tiny bruise they when he slapped her ass during sex and her saying he claimed his car was out of gas so he couldn't drive her home or it could be something super serious like him being like " If you leave I'll kill you bitch!" and punching her in the face.

It's kinda sad we gotta hope it's actually true but not anything serious cause it either means someone is a piece of shit or a lying piece of shit that intentionally tried to ruin someones life. I doubt he would ever be brought back even if it was proven lies, look how long it took Chris Hardwick and Johnny Depp to get any justice by that time they would have already had a replacement actor do atleast 1 season and I doubt they would bother switching back unless it totally bombed.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2023-01-26 at 07:16 AM.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Even if proven innocent, reputation and life ruined.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2023-01-26 at 07:20 AM.

Honestly, I'm not worried about whether he ends up convicted or not. It's awful, what he's accused of doing, but there are millions of people in America who've assaulted their spouse or worse and they all still work in their jobs.

If someone wanted to drop a product because of someone behind the creation of that product that's perfectly acceptable. I, personally, won't touch anything Harry Potter because of JK Rowling. But it should be an individual choice, with no shame being attached to whichever choice someone makes. If you want to play Harry Potter I got no problem with that, it's my choice not to and I have no right to choose for you.

We have a justice system in place to hold people accountable for the awful things they do, it makes no sense to punish people by taking their jobs as well. If we're gonna do that, then millions of people need to be fired today for a plethora of offenses and we need to drop any pretense of being based on a system of justice.

Anyway, rant aside, I personally won't watch the show any longer after this. Not because I'm outraged, but simply because I don't believe the show will be anywhere near the same without his talents. It's the same as Futurama, I wouldn't have watched a new season without Bender or John DiMaggio playing Bender.
    Of course it makes sense.

This is not about Karol in Accounting or Dean in IT.

He is a rather prominent figure for Adult Swim. This is something people who work in these kind of jobs have to account for. No company can employ someone who is public speaker for them after they get accused of somthing like that AND it goes to trial. It would be detrimentel to the whole company and as a result to everyone working there to keep him.

I will watch it. If it is bad i stop. But i am not someone who puts every aspect of a animated tv show on one speaker.

lmfao -- dude got caught in 4k creepy texting minors and you're out here hanging your hat on the anti-cancel culture movement? He did this shit to himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    lmfao -- dude got caught in 4k creepy texting minors and you're out here hanging your hat on the anti-cancel culture movement? He did this shit to himself.
    I just don't get it. Why risk everything and lack the self control and brain cells to not send messages like that. Vile. Shame really but he deserves everything coming to him.

Luckily the show can continue if they are smart about it. Someone mentioned about swapping voice actors every season.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I just don't get it. Why risk everything and lack the self control and brain cells to not send messages like that. Vile. Shame really but he deserves everything coming to him.

Luckily the show can continue if they are smart about it. Someone mentioned about swapping voice actors every season.
    It goes a bit beyond those messages at this point.