Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    Here's the link to the video:

So, I just stumbled upon this video and I think the point was lost upon the gamers. Jimmy Kimmel wasn't hating on the streaming community, just poking fun and it was more like a joke. Granted, a lot took this way too seriously - most likely because he actually struck a nerve and the hate just built.

Imo, I find streaming completely pointless because;
    1. it's often regular people who play and end up getting famous either because A. they're supposedly funny or B. they have tits or even C. they're supposedly good looking or some other reason.
    2. said regular people have never held a real job and never contributed to the society and they have no ambition for themselves because gaming is life and they'll get dirty rich, sitting at home all day, honing their superior sniper skills.
    3. they'll never think twice about getting a real job.
    4. what would they tell their children? what do they tell people who ask about their career? "I'm a professional gamer"

This is just my opinion but it's actually based off a concern of mine. I don't know if streamers have to pay taxes, since most of their money come from sponsors and donations - isn't society missing out on a lot of money? Each year, more and more people live solely off their online activities. They quit their jobs and stop contributing to the world, because who the heck would want to work when you can sit at home, play games and let the cash flow like tidal waves from a tsunami? It seems outrageous to me, but again, I'm not one to tell people what to do - although this does affect us or it at least will, when all high-schoolers start doing it and the colleges are left abandoned.

Is it really wise for this trend to continue? Can it really be considered a job? Of course it's amazing that people are doing what they love, but then again.

How can taking money from other people, without really needing it - and calling it donations, be accepted? These donations are funding this persons lifestyle, even though said person is perfectly capable of holding a real job and earning this him/herself? New computers, expensive trips around the world, holidays, luxurious stuff and more. It's a never-ending steady stream of materialistic items, achieved through "hard work" and/or given as "donations" - by the fans. These fans may be lulled into the belief that they're special and will become more special, the more they donate. Some may even empty their pockets, because they get an autograph or an item or something in return. How is this in any way okay? Sure, it's their own choice, they can do what they want, but seriously? Shouldn't someone speak up against it? It's insane.

Also, can we have a real debate about this, no flaming, no nasty comments. I just want to understand the appeal, that's all.
    So you say that Jimmy was just poking fun because he angered some streamer, you also say that the gaming community didn't get what he was saying. Yet you don't seem to understand streamers yourself. They provide just as much if not more entertainment than any television personality (more so because TV is a dying medium). All of the reason for why streaming is pointless can be said for any actor or entertainer. What do they tell their children? are you joking? They say they are a streamer. It is a legitimate career for the lucky few who manage to succeed, if you understood anything about the system you would know that they pay taxes just like everyone else. They are all private freelance business owners who are employed by whichever streaming medium they choose to use. Tell me this, what do you consider "a real job" because implying that they don't work themselves to the bone for their viewership and community pisses me off, it's more responsibility than pushing play.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This is the problem. No one identifies with the "assholes and criminals," but since you play video games you're painted with the same brush whether you like it or not.
    And that isn't true..
    You are painted with what you allow to be painted with. You can only be insulted over something when you identify with it. And I don't.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    Watching people play video games on the other hand, is nothing physical, they're not better than you, you can play the game yourself and enjoy it instead. This is for normal streamers.
    You're not just watching the game, you're watching the streamer as well. A person might find their personality entertaining, or enjoy hanging out with the chat. As for donating, I have a feeling that has a lot to do with seeking attention. There's probably some simple psychological explanation behind subscription/donation trains that tend to happen on popular streams...but I just chalk it up to people wanting to feel involved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You're not just watching the game, you're watching the streamer as well. A person might find their personality entertaining, or enjoy hanging out with the chat. As for donating, I have a feeling that has a lot to do with seeking attention. There's probably some simple psychological explanation behind subscription/donation trains that tend to happen on popular streams...but I just chalk it up to people wanting to feel involved.
    Donations are a means to pay for the entertainment. Since no one pays for anything on the web and adblock has massive usage there is no other viable model. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be paid for providing entertainment.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's funny because I'm imagining the average American watching this on the couch between 2 football matches

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Donations are a means to pay for the entertainment. Since no one pays for anything on the web and adblock has massive usage there is no other viable model. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be paid for providing entertainment.
    Expecting to get paid for doing something you would be doing anyways? Just because you turned on a camera and starting making really moronic statements about what you are doing. I really like the people that are playing a horror game and try to seem more scared than they really are. It just comes off as desperate.

Also, after reading this thread I went and saw what Kaceytron was about. Holy shit, I swear if I met someone like her irl, I would lose my mind. The constant *I'm a girl gamer, #gamergirl*, just makes me cringe.
    Last edited by Velnora; 2015-09-03 at 09:47 PM.

Deleted
    Jimmy Kimmel was wrong but the reaction from some gamers was a bit too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MFDOOM View Post
    Wow, those death threats from the gaming community are disgusting. It's amazing how people obfuscate the truth and deny that the toxicity of gamers is patently obvious and has been maliciously awful for a while now. Movements with death threats against people who dare disagree with them and such. Just because the dude made a joke about these gamers' little niche hobby, he deserves to be given all of these death threats?

Why don't all of you take what the CEO of Blizzard said in regards to shunning these hateful, harassing gamers, and give a better impression of the gaming community than what gamers have made themselves out to be in the last 2 years, like what we've seen in the Law & Order SVU episode, numerous media outlets like the BBC and now Jimmy Kimmel's show.
    Wait.. gamers are a movement now? We're a consolidated community? Damn.. I've probably missed a ton of meetings.

Internet 101: if you throw a rock into any place where people are talking on the internet, you're going to find someone raging about something that everyone else thinks is a nonissue.

I didn't find it annoying, it's funny, but it's sort of a stolen concept. I found an immediate connection that they got their idea from The Onion, which, is relevant, because it's about World of Warcraft:

MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And the most recent Kimmel vid
    He's starting to look like some of the "Literally Who's" of GG.....

But this is his shtick, he pokes something to get a reaction from people and laugh at them. With as many trolls on the internet as there are he's picked an easy target to irritate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    Expecting to get paid for doing something you would be doing anyways? Just because you turned on a camera and starting making really moronic statements about what you are doing. I really like the people that are playing a horror game and try to seem more scared than they really are. It just comes off as desperate.

Also, after reading this thread I went and saw what Kaceytron was about. Holy shit, I swear if I met someone like her irl, I would lose my mind. The constant *I'm a girl gamer, #gamergirl*, just makes me cringe.
    There are a large number of youtubers and they go from very entertaining to dire. Like TV. Personally I find Crendor or Nobbel more entertaining than Kimmel's feeble take on a thirty-year old Letterman format.
    You are also vastly understating the difficulty of creating a Let's Play channel. Try it. No one will watch you and no one will care. You will have to do something very extreme, be a superb marketeer and/or extremely lucky to succeed at it. You certainly can't just film yourself playing wow and expect to get an audience.

Kaceytron is famous because she puts her tits in thumbnails. If you don't like it don't watch it. I don't watch her and I don't watch the Kardashians.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I didn't find it annoying, it's funny, but it's sort of a stolen concept. I found an immediate connection that they got their idea from The Onion, which, is relevant, because it's about World of Warcraft:

Yeah, I pointed this out in the other Kimmel thread.

Note that the Onion vid has a massive like:dislike ratio. Gamers don't object to being criticized. They just don't appreciate lazy-assed piss-poor plagiarism.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    LOL who would watch someone else play a game

*turns on sports ball channel*
    This hits the nail on the head.
    Last edited by Noish; 2015-09-03 at 10:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lmao, how can anyone be offended by the original video
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by professionally outraged View Post
    Because the Onion video is totally different. They didn't make any comments about "people watching video games". Kimmel's video was perceived as an attack on gamers, while the Onion video didn't even make fun of video games in general, only World of Warcraft.

The two videos in general were totally different. Kimmel's video was about people watching someone play video games, and taking that to the extreme, while the Onion video was about people playing someone who plays a video game. It's just a completely different basis for the joke.

People didn't simply dislike Kimmel's video because they didn't think it was funny. If it was simply about it being funny or not, there would be no reason to wish him cancer and aids and to threaten his life.
    I cannot believe I have to explain this to what are presumably grown adults:

Kimmel is a celebrity. He gets hate every day on youtube. That's not just because he's an annoying talentless prick, it is because celebrities get hate on youtube, period.

This is nothing to do with gaming. He'd get hate if he did a skit about how nice hamsters were.

And no the two skits are not totally different, as any one who actually views them will attest. The whole fucking show is a carbon copy of Letterman. Virtually everything they do on it has a clear antecedent as any one remotely interested in comedy would know.

Deleted
    I frequently watch Twitch, almost everyday if I can. However, I typically don't watch streamers who just play games for fun other than a few of them such as Lirik and Sodapoppin. I usually use it to watch tournaments live, watch podcasts live and chat with the viewers and also just to chill out. Sometimes I'll watch a pro player doing ladder or something in SC2, CS:GO and DOTA2.

Streaming is a lot more than just watching some fat neckbeard or tit muffin play games. From what I find, the people that "make fun" of streaming are people who don't have exposure to this medium or gaming in general. They don't even know esports exist or that people make a career out of playing games.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2015-09-03 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only concern for streamers is that it is still a new -industry. I don't see any kind of job security in it. The popular streamers now will not always be popular, the game they play will not always be popular, watching streams at all might stop being popular etc. My concern is the younger streamers who stream full time and do not get any advanced education or workforce skills. Are they going to be able to support themselves forever? What are they going to be doing in X years when their stream income has dried up?

I often watch streamers while I am playing a game. I donate to some streamers because I enjoy their entertainment and understand without support they would be unable to continue entertaining. I don't hate them out of jealousy making money just playing games. I am concerned for their future and the impression they leave on others who think they can too start streaming full time and find money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    The amount of hatred on that video just goes to show how immature a big part of the "gaming community" is.
    That is correct! The supposed anonymity of typing on the internet lets people feel like that can say almost anything without consequence.

Deleted
    Then why don't his other videos have so many dislikes and death threats in the comments?
    This is like you are being deliberately clueless. The show ran a regular series called "Celebrities read mean tweets". The very show you are defending comprehensively proved that celebrities get hate all the time for no other reason than they were celebrities. This ran for at least ten episodes.

But, no, it must be humourless gamers....ffs.

Well, it seems like Markiplier, a Let's Play creator, is going to be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

Not sure if I'm late to this news, but here's his facebook post about it.
    https://www.facebook.com/markiplier/...type=1&theater

Deleted
    Then you should have no problem linking some videos from Jimmy Kimmel, with so many dislikes and 90% of the people in the comments telling him to drop dead, get cancer, get aids and that they will kill him because he fucked with the wrong community.
    Why didn't you perform your own fucking homework assignment, since a) your the one making the stupid assertion so the burden of proof is on you and b) you seemed to have stepped out of a time machine from 1995 and have no clue how the internet works.

People are mean on the internet. This is not an oracular revelation.