Poll: Internet Depression?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I think I am depressed. ?

http://gawker.com/how-the-internet-c...ion-1724491043

Either that or i am too deep in the trees....

Here is a poll.

After reading this, does this make you think you may be depressed?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the internet that causes depression...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Go see a Doctor. Taking "Are you Depressed" quiz's and reading those kinds of articles on the Interent is a horrible way to try to see if you are.
    ^^^^^^^^ What she said. Definitely go see a psychiatrist. And don't believe things on the internet... That shit is just stupid as hell and makes me smfh. Also, don't believe what other people on the internet tell you whether you are depressed or this or that. Don't self-diagnose. Get professional help. Always. That is all.

clicked the link and went to article, then closed out of it because it was way too fuckin long.

does that put me in one of the categories of either depressed or not depressed?
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

if you think you are go see a doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    something something quiz depression
    I just lost the game -_-'

Hypochondriac is what you probably are.. do you want to be depressed? Since it sounds like you think that today its "in" to be depressed so you are thinking that you might be also depressed about not being actually depressed?

EDIT: i went to read the article in link, and the moment i saw the language used and the general theme in there.. i lost the interest since it has little to do with any personal case of depression and is failing to see the tree from the forest.

Some people....
    Last edited by Frostweaver; 2015-09-03 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
    Hypochondriac is what you probably are.. do you want to be depressed? Since it sounds like you think that today its "in" to be depressed so you are thinking that you might be also depressed about not being actually depressed?

EDIT: i went to read the article in link, and the moment i saw the language used and the general theme in there.. i lost the interest since it has little to do with any personal case of depression and is failing to see the tree from the forest.

Some people....
    No, i am not a hypochondriac.
    however, there is a very eerie pattern that i empathise with in the article, so i was asking a serious question.

according to the article only others effected by it would be able to do so... so i asked if anyone else did.

many of you apparently do not, and do not believe in it, so that answers my need to ask.

It's difficult because most people haven't had a chance to realize that "normal" is just another avenue of necessary conduct.

Which means to not be "depressed," you MUST look forward to every morning, you MUST be searching for happiness every day, you MUST force yourself to do things like chores and work, you MUST perform at least 60% on most of the tasks and opportunities you're given, you MUST be a go-getter and you MUST have a reinforced resolve.

Like no joking, to not be depressed you have to act like a slave to the next day, and the next day, and the next day....

You're not depressed when you know what you're doing tomorrow. But, you HAVE to do that tomorrow.

It's just another avenue of life, it's not something you get rid of or something that's on your person like a lodestone. It's like that lyric in that one song,

"They always like to say, you'll be a rock star, all you have to change is, everything you are."

Yes you can be "not depressed" but you'll pretty much become a slave to reality doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    many of you apparently do not, and do not believe in it, so that answers my need to ask.
    Most people are depressed about something. Right now I'm depressed because I can't go to a family gathering; I have to work that day.

It becomes a problem when there's no identifiable cause. At that point you have to speak to a professional, power through, keep going.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Forum-Rules-**

WHEN POSTING...
    ...keep in mind the post contents/subjects that are not allowed:
    ~~
    - Medical Advice
    Go and seek professional evaluation, and don't expect confirmation or disapproval for your question.
    And though, I didn't bother clicking the link. I'm confident that if the site is serious, they too suggest to do so.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I didn't read your link but I can tell you this: I don't care.

7+ Year Old Account
    The author of that blog has confused cause and effect. Retreating into the Internet to avoid human contact is a symptom of depression. You can do it with any activity that doesn't require other people. Building models, putting together puzzles, watching TV, going camping, ect. Any of these activities can be enjoyed normally, or they can be the obsessive focus of a depression-fueled binge.

If you're depressed, don't blame the Internet. Go see a doctor and find out the real cause.

Deleted
    Self diagnosis of mental illness is one of the most horrifying things to have come out the internet.

THIS IS STRAIGHT UP DANGEROUS

If you think you may have a mental illness - see a Doctor.

You self diagnosing is awfully bad and dangerous because there's only two outcomes:

a) You actually have a mental illness and by self-diagnosing you aren't getting treatment

b) You don't have a mental illness but you've self-diagnosed, you now damage the perception of mental illness for everyone else

If I have one pet hate, it's self-diagnosis of mental illness and people who promote self-diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    If I have one pet hate, it's self-diagnosis of mental illness and people who promote self-diagnosis.
    Just to put some nuance on that, in order to make the choice to seek professional help, you'll either need motivation from friends/family/co-workers, or some level of self diagnosis.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Put an end to the internet depression by throwing it off a cliff.

10+ Year Old Account
    People take 3-5 year-long educations to learn how to diagnose even the most insignificant problems accurately.

Why the fuck would you rather trust an article it takes you ten minutes to read?

Talk to your doctor, ask to be referred to a good therapist. This is something most people would benefit from anyway, since we're all fucked up to one degree or another, and less problems= easier life.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Sorry didn't read it I know I'm not depressed. Bored for sure but not depressed.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Gawker is just making shit up.

If you go the article they supposedly based it on ( http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/op...-internet.html ), it isn't about how using the internet is depressing, it is about how people that are depressed use the internet differently.

If you want to avoid stupidity, do your research instead of just accepting whatever BS is thrown your way and you'll find that you end up a lot happier in life.

15+ Year Old Account
    There isn't necessarily anything wrong with taking depression "quizzes" at home first, before deciding if you should seek help. (Once at the doctor you'll do a couple of those there anyway).
    If you feel something isn't quite right, and a depression quiz confirms that indeed there might be something wrong and you might be in the risk of either having a depression or are about to develop one - that could be the thing that actually makes you seek out help, before its gotten really dark. The earlier you seek professional help the faster it'll go to recover too.

What I don't believe is especially healthy to do is reading articles claiming you're depressed because of a specific reason (the person writing the article is at best presenting a theory, something that "could" be a reason why some might feel depressed).
    Mental illness is NEVER a simple thing, and if you are depressed? You can't actually pinpoint why you are depressed while suffering from it, because the state you are in affects your thought process enough that you are unable to think clearly, see things straight. And it also affects the way you reason. You actually need a professional to help you with that. Which is why it is so important to treat depression/other mental illness with therapy. If you need to medicate that alone won't cure you - you got to treat both the symptom and the source. A mistake many do is to only treat the symptom.

Do I think I am depressed because of what's written in that article? Hell no. Am I depressed though? Yes, in some degree. I actually do suffer from mental illness, a type that I need to medicate for the rest of my life (if I wish to live a normal life that is, which I do). It took about a year to set my diagnose, I wasn't a "clear cut case" so they needed to really make sure I didn't get wrongly diagnosed. Since that can cause major damage to a persons life. Just as much damage as self diagnosing.
    Last edited by Incarnia; 2015-09-03 at 08:20 PM.