Thread: DK too clunky?

DK too clunky?

Hello peeps!
    I'm a wotlk dk player (prolly a bit spoiled), that rerolled after the change they made to rune system (you can call it nerf...anyway I just didn't like the way it worked out and the fact that the flow it had was gone).
    Now I'm trying to get back a grasp on the class for the future, but it seems too clunky.
    I'm talking looking at Blood Tap (but not just it).
    You're probably gonna say "but Blood Tap helps getting back the flow the class had", and it's true, but I just feel that the way it is designed is wrong (no, I will never macro it).
    Tap apart, the whole class (each spec) slow paced.

Is it just a thing I have to get used too, or seasoned DKs feel the same?

PS: don't get me wrong, I love the class and the design of it, I just need a different way to look at things in order to "digest" them better ^^

EDIT: I clarify what's wrong, imho, on blood tap: you spam the spender, then you spam tap in order to get back enough runes to use other abilities. I'm feeling like a fool complaining about this, but in game it's a real pain to me.
    Last edited by Vodkatwist; 2015-09-03 at 08:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    Hi Vodka, welcome back to DK, etc.

I found that with gear things do pick up somewhat.

I don't find blood to be clunky at all--I always have buttons to push and, in general, it flows rather smoothly (mitigation into dmg into mitigation, pop cds as needed.)

Frost I find clunkiest of the three--especially with bad RNG. Unholy and Blood seem much more forgiving of "awkward runes."

Unholy is smooth but feels slow because I feel like its attacks hit like pillows (and are spammed) and too much reliance on pet dps.

ALL THAT SAID...flow of DK still feels better than my rogue, who either has OMG ALL THE BUTTONS PUSH THEM NOW or is waiting/pooling energy.

Game's in a weird place in general right now, tbh. Never been tighter balanced, but I do miss the feel of a lot of specs from BC/Wrath days.
    I agree with a lot of this.

I only use BT when I'm blood, otherwise I feel my current setup for frost and UH allows for a smoother "feel".

I LOVE UH and wish it felt better right now. It felt great in BRF, I could rely on NP damage for consistency and burst cleave via blood boil.
    IMO UH is still better for most of the add based fights in HFC. HFA everything is spread, so NP is great. Iskar you can get a burst spread of NP out as the boss fades if you time BB right, and then spam away scourge to focus adds down.
    Council is a no brainer for why it is great.

Frost for single target just destroys its potential. It feels a little clunky, and nothing sucks more than being DWF and having KM proc RIGHT as you hit oblit so it feels wasted. The 2pc T18 makes it take another huge leap over UH as well.

All in all, there are a couple very small things that could be done to "smooth out" the DK rotation, but that's part of mastering the class; master the dual resource system and make it your bitch.

Yup you just have to get used to it. Once you do you'll find Blood especially to be very rhythmic. The system seems clunky at first though, I agree with that.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I use runic corruption instead, i don't like tap

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    if you want it feel smooth, play unholy with runic corruption

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    I agree with a lot of this.

I only use BT when I'm blood, otherwise I feel my current setup for frost and UH allows for a smoother "feel".

I LOVE UH and wish it felt better right now. It felt great in BRF, I could rely on NP damage for consistency and burst cleave via blood boil.
    IMO UH is still better for most of the add based fights in HFC. HFA everything is spread, so NP is great. Iskar you can get a burst spread of NP out as the boss fades if you time BB right, and then spam away scourge to focus adds down.
    Council is a no brainer for why it is great.

Frost for single target just destroys its potential. It feels a little clunky, and nothing sucks more than being DWF and having KM proc RIGHT as you hit oblit so it feels wasted. The 2pc T18 makes it take another huge leap over UH as well.

All in all, there are a couple very small things that could be done to "smooth out" the DK rotation, but that's part of mastering the class; master the dual resource system and make it your bitch.
    Should probably learn to play BoS

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flow1 View Post
    Should probably learn to play BoS
    I am working on that now. From what I have gathered, BoS requires ring syngergy and scales even better once you have 4pc, so working on finalizing that and experimenting with it during farm fights.

Wow, it is really interesting how things are seen different.

You said the DK class is too slow paced for you. For me it is like playing the piano, just pressing the very same buttons over and over and over and over...
    Especially as frost. Howbling Blast, Howling Blast, Howling Blast, maybe Obliterate and/or Frost Strike, and then, you guess it: Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast.... "oh see, adds incoming, my rotation will change now!" > Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast Howling Blast oO

All dk specs feel very fluid if you don't mess up your resource management. All specs are also pretty much gcd capped going into HFC gear. I really like BT for unholy as it is so great at manipulating runes and have full control over it so i can plan with it and play accordingly.
    The one thing I could understand as clunkiness is when you have orphaned runes you can't really utilize such as orphaned frost runes as unholy or single death/frost/unholy runes as blood but if you pay attention and play well you can easily avoid or mask them so that they are no problem or halt you.

I guess it can feel a bit weird at the start but once you get into it it plays very fluid and for the most part also fast paced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were your DKs name Icyvodka on an EU realm?
    im cool pls respodn

I personally feel like blood hasn't changed too much over the years, and unholy right now feels the pretty good right now. However I feel like frost could use some work. The spec to me atleast seems to be trying to push you in the direction of using frost/unholy rune pairs on obliterate but for dw that is pretty much the last thing you want to do. I personally think they should try to bring frost back to the patch 3.3 playstyle it had in icc

Quote Originally Posted by Krekal View Post
    Were your DKs name Icyvodka on an EU realm?
    No, she was called Negation ^^

Blood probably has the smoothest playstyle. Unholy probably most closely fits the description of "clunky", Frost not too far behind. I think that's just the nature of the Rune System. Sometimes you have to have a perfect set up of runes to do a 2 rune ability, then you throw Death Runes into the mix and Runic Empowerment... feels even weirder.

I love the Rune system to a degree, but I feel like it needs to be simplified. Maybe to 3 runes.

Another aspect that feels off is how you handle diseases. For Blood it's pretty easy, put them up, then spam Blood Boil. For the others, depending on if you roll with Necrotic Plague, can be a pain.

It definitely needs to be "smoothed out".