Confusion: MindBlast, SW:D

Hi guys,

maybe a simple question for some of you:

Simcraft, ilvl735, Patchwerk Style. The profile from SPriest with CoP lists strange numbers for mind blast and shadow word: death.

Average Hit from Mind Blast 122576
    Average Hit from SWD 59910

How's that possible? MB is 220% spellpower and SWD 270%. MB is enhanced by mastery and SWD by CoP (should be). So... how in the living hell is that possible? Is it RoW alone?
    Last edited by iddqd; 2015-09-04 at 08:44 AM.

Well that profile is running 127% mastery which combined with the 56.6% from RoW comes to a 183.6% increase.

Compare that to SWD which only gets a 40% increase via CoP and I could see how it's plausible.

I'm too dumb to do the exact math here though.

As the other Rob stated, the CoP profile in SimC stacks Mastery to no end, SW: D as you say doesn't benefit from this stat. Whilst the base value of SW: D is 50% higher than that of MB, Mastery and the bonus from RoW pushes MB damage up.

SW: D is still always worth casting due to the high DPET and the return on Orbs.
    Last edited by Robula; 2015-09-04 at 12:58 PM.

It's possible to get enough mastery and combine it with RoW to make DP and Death Obsolete. I'm not sure you would want to do that - ie. I'm not sure that's the combination of gear that will give the best results, but it's possible if you want to pursue it.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles